Thread: Nail Trimming

Default Nail Trimming

Although I have never had to trim a squirrels nails before, I am wondering if I should trim Mrs. Breezy's nails (she is a lifer). They cut like razor blades. Is there any cons on trimming her nails?
    Central Florida Wildlife Rehabilitation
    Breezy's Legacy
    Longwood, Florida
    (386)295-1912
    http://breezyslegacy.webs.com

We cover the following counties: Volusia, Lake, Orange and Seminole. We accept all small & medium sized wildlife and unwanted exotics 24/7. We do not accept birds of pray, snakes, bears, deer, big cats, coyotes, dogs or cats but we will help you place them if it is needed. You can call or email us if our help is needed breezyslegacy@gmail.com

Default Re: Nail Trimming

I am totally against trimming their nails. They are part of who they are and I think it would be terribly upsetting to them to not have their abilities be what they expect. Some people do use a bird perch that is sandpaper-like material. That seems like it would be less traumatic than actually clipping them.
    I too have a "lifer", and I simply deal with the scratches and discomfort. It often involves wearing a sweatshirt when I would rather be in short sleeves, but I would rather he was comfortable than me.

That's why I haven't done it. I don't want to cause her any discomfort. I don't know where I would put one of those bird purches. She only goes in her cage to sleep, other than that she runs free I would show some pictures but it won't let me do it from my phone
    Breezy's Legacy
    Longwood, Florida
    (386)295-1912

We cover the following counties: Volusia, Lake, Orange and Seminole. We accept all small & medium sized wildlife and unwanted exotics 24/7. We do not accept birds of pray, snakes, bears, deer, big cats, coyotes, dogs or cats but we will help you place them if it is needed. You can call or email us if our help is needed breezyslegacy@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by DawnMarie View Post
    That's why I haven't done it. I don't want to cause her any discomfort. I don't know where I would put one of those bird purches. She only goes in her cage to sleep, other than that she runs free I would show some pictures but it won't let me do it from my phone
    ditto SM.

As for ways to help her file her nails down naturally:

One thing you could do is get a few nice tree limbs of different thickness and put up together some kind of gym type of thing for her to climb and jump.
    Once she starts climbing tree limbs, her nails will file down naturally.

Stosh created a "tree room" for his sqs.

You just need to think of the ways to secure those tree limbs and branches so that they are sturdy. (e.g., something like a Christmas tree thing, just sturdier).
    If you have some cat trees or old pieces of furniture that are ok to be scratched, you could tie the limbs to these and use that as a base to create some kind of "gym."

So, whatever and however you decide to do it - the goal is to give her tree limbs to climb and jump, which will help keep her nails in good shape.
    They may still be scratchy, but to a lesser degree.

Just make sure that you don't pick up tree limbs off the ground - they can be mouldy.
    See if you can cut them directly off trees so that they are clean.
    You can even cut them off fallen trees as long as the limb you are cutting off wasn't touching the ground (and examine it, too - sometimes, even if limbs don't touch the ground, they may have some moss (and/or mould) on them.
    Wash the limbs and they are good to go.

(one thing: there is a right away to cut a tree limb off a tree, and there is a wrong way. You could Google it - very simple to find and understand. Cutting it the wrong way may hurt and damage a tree).

"Gyms" made of limbs and branches are good not only for filing nails down, but also for exercise and entertainment.

You could send a pm to Stosh on tips how to secure those limbs and branches.

i am sure more suggestions will be posted.

Thank you. I'm gonna try to make her something for her.
    Breezy's Legacy
    Longwood, Florida
    (386)295-1912

Some squirrels especially ones with disabilities have to have their nails trimmed, I have to trim Lily's nails. Does your squirrel get her nails stuck in furniture or any fabric bedding in her cage? Lily's nails would and that's why her nails get trimmed.

I hold her with her wrapped in a piece of fleece that covers her face, this calms her as my husband clips her nails. This is not traumatic for her at all.

Yea, they get caught on everything. Then she looks at me like she is asking for my help to get her un-stuck.
    Breezy's Legacy
    Longwood, Florida
    (386)295-1912

dealing with squirrels' nails and teeth is very similar:

1. in healthy squirrels who can crack nuts and chew branches people normally do not trim their teeth. Healthy squirrels who can chew on their own are given things to chew - hard nuts, branches, shells, cuttle bones etc - to file their teeth naturally.

Squirrels with teeth problems often cannot chew hard things, or due to malocclusion chewing does little good to file their teeth naturally. Therefore, their teeth get trimmed by people.

2. Similarly, squirrels with disabilities who cannot climb and jump on their own need to have their nails trimmed.

But healthy, able squirrels who can run, climb and jump well should be given every opportunity to file their nails naturally by jumping and climbing on tree limbs and branches. For healthy, able squirrels nail trimming should be the absolute last resort and better to be avoided completely.
    Without nails squirrels cannot get a good grip when they jump and that may result in injuries.
    Besides, jumping and climbing is part of who they are, and without nails they cannot do that well.

Just because a healthy squirrel's nails get caught in fabrics, it does not mean that human-trimming is due. It just means that the squirrel needs help with managing her nails by providing him/her with branches and trees limbs to climb and jump to keep his/her nails in good shape.
    Usually, when a healthy squirrel climbs and jumps enough of branches, tree limbs and other similar hard surfaces, his/her nails get filed naturally to the needed sharpness and length.

Some fabrics are naturally prone to being good for the nails to get stuck in them (thin, "loopy", wide-thread, knits, terry etc). So, if possible - cover those with fabrics that do not make nails get caught easily.

It's also good to remember that squirrels nails are meant to be sharp and they will never be "not sharp and non-scratchy completely."
    But with enough wooden surfaces for them to climb, these nails can be kept within reasonable, tolerable sharpness.

Also, diet is important. Make sure she eats her block religiously, because nails that get stuck on everything could be a symptom of MBD.

I wouldn't consider her as completely healthy. She had seizures. Vets still haven't found a true reason for it. All they seem to say is that it was a lack of calcium. She doesn't jump either. I'm lucky that she even climbs. But she is a strong little girl and she will fight through her seizures with me by her side. She will never have to go through one alone. She is surely a mommas girl now
    Breezy's Legacy
    Longwood, Florida
    (386)295-1912

Hi DawnMarie,

Lack of calcium is usually an issue with diet (and will cause seizures in an otherwise healthy squirrel). What are you currently regularly feeding her?

Quote Originally Posted by DawnMarie View Post
    I wouldn't consider her as completely healthy. She had seizures. Vets still haven't found a true reason for it. All they seem to say is that it was a lack of calcium. She doesn't jump either. I'm lucky that she even climbs. But she is a strong little girl and she will fight through her seizures with me by her side. She will never have to go through one alone. She is surely a mommas girl now
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

She gets her fresh veggies daily and her block. She also gets kale. I have stopped all nuts. The vet said That it didn't have anything to do with me. He said that it was probably ongoing before I even recieved her. Her and her brother were both way underweight and dehydrated when I recieved them. I have always fed the same diet with all my squirrel rescues and I have never had a problem before.
    Breezy's Legacy
    Longwood, Florida
    (386)295-1912

if she has those health challenges, you may want to tread it carefully with nail trimming.

Even though it's difficult for her to climb, she still needs to climb to the best of her ability, for exercise and for variety in her activities.
    But with trimmed nails and being already challenged the way you describe it - she may end up climbing less or not at all, because she won't be able to get a good grip when climbing.
    Moreover, if she is already struggling with mobility, if she tries to climb with trimmed nails, she may end up slipping and, Goodness forbid, hurting herself.
    Yet, she does need to have her nails managed, too.

So, since she can climb and move on her own (unlike squirrels who can't), maybe, try getting limbs and branches, create a gym for her and encourage her to climb as much as she can in her situation.
    She needs exercise anyway, and simply running around and playing with toys can get sometimes boring, too. So, having something to climb might be good for variety.
    As an exercise, climbing could help her strengthen her leg muscles and make her stronger.

As for nails catching on fabrics - see if you can cover whatever possible with fabrics that are not easy for nails to get caught in. And for yourself - just wear a sweatshirt or something.

See if this can help a bit. You can always trim as the last resort, but it's good to try all these other options. Maybe, somewhere in your gym construction you could incorporate the bird perch that SammysMom mentioned.

Even disabled squirrels want to be "real" squirrels. She may not be able to jump, but the instinct to jump and climb and move is inside. So, helping her to try and be as much a 'real' squirrel as possible will only be good for her.
    But like I said - you have to tread it carefully and observe.

If you do end up choosing to trim, never trim all nails at once.
    People usually trim something like this:
    1 wk - right hand, left leg
    2wk - left hand, right leg
    the point is to alternate and not to trim them all at once, because that will make them completely unstable.
    Also, be careful when trimming - only the teeny tiny tip, stop well before that 'dark' part of the nail begins.

I have decided not to trim her nails. It was just a thought. Thanks for all the advice.
    Breezy's Legacy
    Longwood, Florida
    (386)295-1912

It is certainly a consideration when you are clawed to bits like we all are. Taking the advice here the best way to be sure you make an informed choice. Congtats on caring more for your baby than your own comfort.

Yes, she is way more important
    Breezy's Legacy
    Longwood, Florida
    (386)295-1912

Quote Originally Posted by astra View Post
    ditto SM.

As for ways to help her file her nails down naturally:

One thing you could do is get a few nice tree limbs of different thickness and put up together some kind of gym type of thing for her to climb and jump.
    Once she starts climbing tree limbs, her nails will file down naturally.

Stosh created a "tree room" for his sqs.

Actually--I am lucky to have room for 3 tree rooms. 2 unused bedrooms without ANY furniture and a screened in foyer. All floors are covered with empty refrigerator or washing machine cartons.

here are some pics
    Name:  IMG_6280.JPG
Views: 327
Size:  113.9 KBName:  IMG_6440.JPG
Views: 308
Size:  92.9 KBName:  IMG_5712.JPG
Views: 310
Size:  75.5 KBName:  IMG_5659.JPG
Views: 308
Size:  117.2 KBName:  IMG_5454-001.JPG
Views: 375
Size:  79.8 KB

...include large trunks or heavy limbs for vertical "posts", add various sized branches, ropes, small plywood platforms, places to hang a stuffie, etc.
    I use plastic zip ties to connect them together. heavy ones for bigger pieces ( use two where heavy limbs connect.and light duty zips for temporary branches--I cut fresh branches with leaves and fruits that we attach almost every day and replace as the get shredded or they dry out.
    -------------keep an eye for chewed off zip-ties...
    I have 6 squirrels in the house...5 use the tree rooms and only one has a mission to chew of every zip tie he can find...ha!--J.D. is the chewer.