Thread: Clover for squirrels?

Default Clover for squirrels?

Attaching a picture of what I am calling clover, may not be...but you can see it growing on the side of roads in NW Florida. We have some growing in our backyard and could not find it on the Healthy Foods for squirrels. Just want some opinions before offering to Miss Odus to either play/nibble with. Thanks Name:  20150417_091919.jpg
Views: 282
Size:  998.2 KB

Sorry friends, apparently I can not figure out how to make my pictures smaller, thought I did it correctly this time. Will try to get someone to show me before posting pics again. thanks for your patience.
    ReRe

Default Re: Clover for squirrels?

I'm not 100% on this BUT I think the red clover is questionable. Red clover flowers have coumarin in them which is where the blood thinning medication Coumadin or warfarin originates. Warfarin products are also used in rodentcides because of this

White clover is safe I believe

squirrelsrule&bunniestoo is offline Licensed rehabber specializing in squirrels and bunnies, Ohio

I give my squirrels clover. They don't really eat it, but like to fight over the flower and carry it around lol.
    SQUIRRELS RULE AND BUNNIES TOO!

Are those roads the kind where cars pass?

don't know about the clover per ce, but do know that it is not recommended to gather anything (for humans and/or animals) that grows by the roads. All greens (trees, bushes, grass etc) that grows along the roads absorbs all the emissions, dust, heavy metals and whatever else results from passing vehicles.
    Although there is emissions control and stuff, still there are some, minimal emissions and they accumulate in/on the plants that grow along the roads.

If those roads are just trail/type of dirt paths where people walk, deeper in the woods - then, should be fine.

Thanks for the responses. Think I will not try the clover. There's plenty more stuff out there for her. She had her first avacodo and I think she likes it better than HHB. Didn't think anything could replace healthy blocks . I honestly think she would fight over it. Know avacodo is rather fattening, but she needs it, being she was and still a little underweight.
    ReRe

Quote Originally Posted by ReRe View Post
    She had her first avacodo and I think she likes it better than HHB.
    Avocado will help her on her weight gain journey!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ReRe View Post
    Didn't think anything could replace healthy blocks . I honestly think she would fight over it. Know avacodo is rather fattening, but she needs it, being she was and still a little underweight.
    It should not replace the HHB, but I am pretty sure you just meant on Miss Odus' list of favorite foods and she'll continue to get her HHB's every day?

Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post

It should not replace the HHB, but I am pretty sure you just meant on Miss Odus' list of favorite foods and she'll continue to get her HHB's every day?
    Oh yes, she will continue the HHB's and veggies....want you to know she is now 202grams.
    ReRe

Default Re: Miss Odus weight gain pictures/before and after

Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post

Hope I do this right, want to send a today pic and the other pic which TSB had concerns about her lack of weight. I think you will see the great improvement. Yesterday she fell in her cage, I freaked out and went straight to the 'emergency' on TSB...thank goodness I am sure she will be okay, hope so anyway...she is very active and acting norm this morning.

the pink fresbie is about 2 wks or longer ago, the next was taken this morning. Last weigh-in was 210grams. Didn't weigh today, was too excited that she was going to live, you know? Will do tomorrow for sure. She is eating lettuce, carrots really well.
    Name:  20150409_080519.jpg
Views: 233
Size:  457.0 KBName:  20150424_070805.jpg
Views: 258
Size:  1,012.0 KB
    ReRe

She is precious!