Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Loose Stool

Default Loose Stool

Okay, okay.. So before I get started, let me introduce the babies.
    First is the little girl of the family, Bijou. And by little I mean the largest of the litter.
    Attachment 255893

Next is Gnash. I named him this because he is super rambunctious and loves to jump at me like he's some kind of attack dog until I feed him, then he loves me and wants to chatter in my ear.
    He's my adventurer, he's gotten out twice today and both times I found him snuggled in my bed...
    Attachment 255894

Last but not least, my sweetheart of the three muskesquirrels, Jango. He's pretty laid back, doesn't get grumpy but does love to climb all over me.
    Attachment 255895

Sorry for the bad pictures!

The reason I took them in was because a friend of mine cuts down trees for people and had a client with a box built in his tree. He said he never saw squirrels in it so they cut it down. With that, the momma's head ended up half in, half out the box. She was dead. He took them and put them in his hard hat and got ahold of me. I've taken in everything from turtles to coons since I can remember. (I may still be a baby to most of you haha, I'm eighteen but I can assure you I've done my time and research just like everyone else, it's a love of mine and the dedication is well worth the success and happiness.) Jango was the first to have his eyes open. They opened right before I got him, so I'm guessing they are four-five weeks old. They are all active during feeding times and sleep until they are hungry again, then they get up and raise hell haha.

On to the problem.. their stool looked good, solid, tiny pebbles, up until last night. I have them on pedialyte and puppy replacer formula (No, not esbilac, but getting some ASAP.. this seems to be doing okay for now since it's all I had). I've been feeding a ratio of 3:1, pedialyte:formula.. then went to 2:2.. But I'm wondering if they're getting too much electrolytes? Should I stop the pedialyte? They are hydrated and haven't lost any weight. I read that at their age they should get around 6-8cc of formula per every 4 hours. I was doing every three hours at first until I read that. I don't have a scale at hand, wish I did so I could calculate the body weight percentage to feed.. So should I stop the pedialyte? I don't think it's the formula since they have been doing so well on it. They've also had a strawberry to nibble on yesterday and a little one today. Maybe that's it.. should I not give them anything this early?

Thanks in advance!

Default Re: Loose Stool

Welcome! Yes, you are correct, you need to get Esbilac powdered formula with probiotics. NOT Esbilac goats milk formula. Regular powdered puppy formula.
    This is very probably the reason for the loose stool. You never want to mix formula with pedialyte. Formula has all of the proper things in it and pedialyte is not to be used for more than 24 hours of rehydration.
    SO, stop the pedialyte as it has a lot of sodium in it and get the Esbilac. You should see improvement very quickly. Thank-you for helping these little ones!

I thought that may be a problem but was so worried about taking them off. Should have some Esbilac puppy later today! Thanks!

Ditto to Sammy's mom.

Just a side note. ( I am sorta new- long story) In the last calendar year I have taken in ten squirrels. 6 had already been stabilized by another rehabber.
    But I had 4 dropped to me . Off those 4 - three developed loose stool to oozey diarrhea during the hydration and transition onto the formula. All that cleared up once I got them onto a full strength formula. That was esbilac with probiotics and or fox valley.

I would be interested in seeing if this is common among intakes. My guess is it is.

Hoping that is all it is for your little ones as well.

What are you using to feed them their formula? And do you know how much to feed them at one time ?

Thanks for helping these guys and welcome to TSB.
    Stephanie Carlson

St. Melangell Small Mammal Sanctuary
    ODNR Permitted Cat 2 Rehabilatator
    https://www.facebook.com/StMelangellSmallMammal/

I feed 6cc of formula (Pet Ag puppy formula) every four hours. I read that for their age since I can't get their weight.. sadly. I asked my dad to get Esbilac and he had no idea what that was haha so. They're doing good on it but I should have some Esbilac later today.

But in good news I took them off the pedialyte last night and now their stools are getting solid again! So happy. I love them. We literally don't have any rehabbers in my county or the two I used to live in. So disappointing. (Not that I can't handle it, just that we're in desperate need of them. It's something I'm definitely looking into now). They're now starting to hold their tails over their backs too. Very enthusiastic eaters, I feel bad when I can't feed until they pop hahaha!

Annabelle's papa Guest

Quote Originally Posted by junebugg View Post
    I feed 6cc of formula (Pet Ag puppy formula) every four hours. I read that for their age since I can't get their weight.. sadly. I asked my dad to get Esbilac and he had no idea what that was haha so. They're doing good on it but I should have some Esbilac later today.

But in good news I took them off the pedialyte last night and now their stools are getting solid again! So happy. I love them. We literally don't have any rehabbers in my county or the two I used to live in. So disappointing. (Not that I can't handle it, just that we're in desperate need of them. It's something I'm definitely looking into now). They're now starting to hold their tails over their backs too. Very enthusiastic eaters, I feel bad when I can't feed until they pop hahaha!
    Good Morning Ms. junebugg, Tractor Supply Company carries the Esbilac, however you need to look at the ingredients and make sure the third item is Dried Whey Protein. Some lots of Esbilac are formulated differently, you can also look for a blue banner at the top of the can that reads -With Pre and Probiotics, however it's best to check the ingredients.

Very good Electronic Scales can be found in the housewares dept of Walmart starting under 20.00.

Quote Originally Posted by Annabelle's papa View Post
    Good Morning Ms. junebugg, Tractor Supply Company carries the Esbilac, however you need to look at the ingredients and make sure the third item is Dried Whey Protein. Some lots of Esbilac are formulated differently, you can also look for a blue banner at the top of the can that reads -With Pre and Probiotics, however it's best to check the ingredients.

Very good Electronic Scales can be found in the housewares dept of Walmart starting under 20.00.
    I was wondering if some were different. I've heard lots of bad things about Esbilac for squirrels because the formula was changed but now that I've looked I saw that was a few years ago. I'll be sure to check on that! Thanks!

I was wondering if some were different. I've heard lots of bad things about Esbilac for squirrels because the formula was changed but now that I've looked I saw that was a few years ago. I'll be sure to check on that! Thanks!
    Yes, the Esbilic with probiotics is now what is most recommended for formula feeding. A lot of us also use FV mixed in as well in a 50/50 ratio and have had good success with it. I had a little guy I took in who was just on the Esbslic for awhile, but wasn't pooping much. I started mixing in some FV and I haven't had a problem since.
    Life is not measured by the breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

"Don't cry because it's over - smile because it happened." Dr. Seuss

Annabelle's papa Guest

Good Morning again Ms. junebugg, while we are on the subject can you post a photo of the Pet Ag puppy formula, while looking at it online I saw where some contained pre and probiotics. The Esbilac is also made by Pet Ag, however it is veterinarian recommended for Squirrels and other wild animals because it is milder on the digestive system among other things.

Name:  k2-_1a2b2f01-0bf7-4320-a370-8e6e056c6959.v1.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  15.9 KB
    This is what my dad bought. He got the liquid kind when I told him powder in the first place haha, but they seem to be doing okay. Day 6 on it and the diarrhea is clearing up after I took the pedialyte away.

This is what my dad bought. He got the liquid kind when I told him powder in the first place haha, but they seem to be doing okay. Day 6 on it and the diarrhea is clearing up after I took the pedialyte away.
    Good then disregard my nonsense... If it clears up... Then no problem.
    Stephanie Carlson

St. Melangell Small Mammal Sanctuary
    ODNR Permitted Cat 2 Rehabilatator
    https://www.facebook.com/StMelangellSmallMammal/

Annabelle's papa Guest

Thank You for the photo, it is kind of confusing that several different formulas are made just for puppies, the liquid and powdered puppy replacement, and Esbilac Goats milk powdered replacement, and Esbilac powdered with pre and probiotics. Uneducated guess, but I guess the different formulas are for different breeds.

I guess you were ready for some more by this time, do Ya'll have a Tractor Supply in the area, because it would be less expensive there than a pet store. But it is important to get the right one even if it costs a few cents more elsewhere, could you post a few more photos of your Lil' Ones.

Annabelle's papa Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Mommaluvy View Post
    Good then disregard my nonsense... If it clears up... Then no problem.
    Bless Your Heart Mommaluvy, you have never posted any nonsense.

Thank You for the photo, it is kind of confusing that several different formulas are made just for puppies, the liquid and powdered puppy replacement, and Esbilac Goats milk powdered replacement, and Esbilac powdered with pre and probiotics. Uneducated guess, but I guess the different formulas are for different breeds.

I guess you were ready for some more by this time, do Ya'll have a Tractor Supply in the area, because it would be less expensive there than a pet store. But it is important to get the right one even if it costs a few cents more elsewhere, could you post a few more photos of your Lil' Ones.
    I don't think there's one around me, but there is a rural king about half an hour from me. May be one in the other direction but I'm not sure, I don't venture that way because I don't do bigger towns haha. I've seen Esbilac in the town half an hour south of me, we're going to run by there soon. Here's some pics, ones of being fed was this morning at 4:45am. I was so tired haha.
    Name:  11121377_960906997255951_1859630402_n.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  55.9 KB
    Name:  11158117_960907083922609_1433388551_n.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  54.2 KB
    Name:  11164098_961235993889718_656308008_n.jpg
Views: 46
Size:  71.7 KB
    Name:  11173505_961236000556384_401909859_n.jpg
Views: 54
Size:  63.2 KB

Annabelle's papa Guest

Amen, those Lil' Ones look wonderful, the first photos you posted didn't appear, but those pics really look great.

Amen, those Lil' Ones look wonderful, the first photos you posted didn't appear, but those pics really look great.
    Haha I noticed that today! Yesterday they worked for me when I clicked them. But then I couldn't go back and edit to fix them ahah. He's some more!
    Name:  11149207_960907093922608_84206859_n.jpg
Size:  40.6 KB
    Name:  11160299_960906990589285_1626927606_n.jpg
Size:  46.8 KB
    Name:  11164115_960907037255947_1479543225_n.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  55.0 KB

Annabelle's papa Guest

They are really cute, anytime you want you can start them their very own thread(s) in another forum, now that their 'stools' aren't 'loose' anymore.

Can one assume the first photo is Ms. Bijou, and the next is Gnash, and the third in line being Jango.

They are really cute, anytime you want you can start them their very own thread(s) in another forum, now that their 'stools' aren't 'loose' anymore.

Can one assume the first photo is Ms. Bijou, and the next is Gnash, and the third in line being Jango.
    Haha actually the first is Gnash, he had a green yarn collar that I took off today so he wouldn't grow too big to tell the two males apart, his little male parts look female in that picture though haha. Next is Bijou then Jango. I will have to start them their own, thanks for everyone's help!

Annabelle's papa Guest

Haha actually the first is Gnash, he had a green yarn collar that I took off today so he wouldn't grow too big to tell the two males apart, his little male parts look female in that picture though haha. Next is Bijou then Jango. I will have to start them their own, thanks for everyone's help!
    I'm sorry for the mistake, I didn't think to look down 'there'.

Way to go June.

Most of us use nailpolish on their claws/feet to help tell them apart. I'm glad you took the string off, that would make me very nervous.

Also has anyone recommended that you get Fox Valley 20/50 and the Miracle Nipples? If not, I just did Go to www.squirrelsandmore.com to purchase. It is the formula you graduate to when their eyes are open, yours look ready, IMO. The nipple is much better for feeding than an end of a syringe.

Keep the pix coming we love looking at them

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast