Thread: OVERLY SPOILED?.?..

Heavenleigh Guest

Question OVERLY SPOILED?.?..

I am a newbie to the squirrel world and I am consuming AS MUCH INFO AS I CAN..! My little man is about 7 weeks? He has his bottom teeth, no top teeth, likes to eat pecans about once a day. Now I was thrown Into this.... So I am learning. But my question is this, is it okay that Butters sleeps with me ? He has a bag that so far, don't have funds currently for a proper cage (working on it) we use the said bag as a pap pus. He is very spoiled and goes everywhere with me so the need for a cage hasn't been that big of am issue. I was/am amazed that he took to me and my husband like he has. He acts like we've had him sense a pinkie and he's been a part of our home for only a mere week .
    So back to my question. He still doesn't wander away from me and he likes to be in his pap pus and I have it safe aka not going to squish him Is it okay for him to be raised this mixed in the family or without a cage even? When he has had enough outside of cage/pouch he will scamper back to his hot pink fuzzy bag, lol. It's his happy place where he feels safe.

Any my and ALL ideas, thoughts and information wanted please.
    THANK YOU!!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Default Re: OVERLY SPOILED?.?..

Quote Originally Posted by Heavenleigh View Post
    I am a newbie to the squirrel world and I am consuming AS MUCH INFO AS I CAN..! My little man is about 7 weeks? He has his bottom teeth, no top teeth, likes to eat pecans about once a day. Now I was thrown Into this.... So I am learning. But my question is this, is it okay that Butters sleeps with me ? He has a bag that so far, don't have funds currently for a proper cage (working on it) we use the said bag as a pap pus. He is very spoiled and goes everywhere with me so the need for a cage hasn't been that big of am issue. I was/am amazed that he took to me and my husband like he has. He acts like we've had him sense a pinkie and he's been a part of our home for only a mere week .
    So back to my question. He still doesn't wander away from me and he likes to be in his pap pus and I have it safe aka not going to squish him Is it okay for him to be raised this mixed in the family or without a cage even? When he has had enough outside of cage/pouch he will scamper back to his hot pink fuzzy bag, lol. It's his happy place where he feels safe.

Any my and ALL ideas, thoughts and information wanted please.
    THANK YOU!!!!
    You are making a big mistake by not having him acclimated to a cage. Cute and cuddly don't last, consistent access to free roam is dangerous for everyone especially him who will be developing in time with the natural behavior and instincts of a wild squirrel. Inside the home they chew, they get poisoned, they get electrocuted, they get hurt. Greys may bond with one and tolerate other's for a time... they wild up, may still bond with one but turn on other's. Happens all the time, they are wild animals and their natural instincts are very hard wired.
    I'm sure he likes to eat pecans once a day and I suspect that is yet another mistake you are making not just with his age but in having a captive squirrel. The most important thing for all captives is diet. Wild squirrels eat a variety of things on the outside and know how to balance their diets with the natural foods available to them. Captive squirrels have to depend on us to balance that need and once weaned the first solid food they should be introduced to and eating well before any other foods are given is a good quality rodent block. That block is their life source that holds all the essential vitamins and nutrients a squirrel needs on a daily basics to stay healthy.
    So, the questions I have for you is, are you feeding rodent block and if so what type? All are not created equal.
    What does his daily diet consist of?
    Are you planning on raising to release?
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

Wanted to bump this up and add it's very important psychologically for a squirrel to have his/her own nest up high as well. And squirrels love to climb to the top of door sills. I shudder when i hear horror stories of pet squirrels getting caught in the top of doors when playing then tragedy happens. Here's healthy diet for squirrels. http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...(Rev-Jan-2014)

Heavenleigh Guest

Red face Re: OVERLY SPOILED?.?..

Quote Originally Posted by stepnstone View Post
    You are making a big mistake by not having him acclimated to a cage. Cute and cuddly don't last, consistent access to free roam is dangerous for everyone especially him who will be developing in time with the natural behavior and instincts of a wild squirrel. Inside the home they chew, they get poisoned, they get electrocuted, they get hurt. Greys may bond with one and tolerate other's for a time... they wild up, may still bond with one but turn on other's. Happens all the time, they are wild animals and their natural instincts are very hard wired.
    I'm sure he likes to eat pecans once a day and I suspect that is yet another mistake you are making not just with his age but in having a captive squirrel. The most important thing for all captives is diet. Wild squirrels eat a variety of things on the outside and know how to balance their diets with the natural foods available to them. Captive squirrels have to depend on us to balance that need and once weaned the first solid food they should be introduced to and eating well before any other foods are given is a good quality rodent block. That block is their life source that holds all the essential vitamins and nutrients a squirrel needs on a daily basics to stay healthy.
    So, the questions I have for you is, are you feeding rodent block and if so what type? All are not created equal.
    What does his daily diet consist of?
    Are you planning on raising to release?
    Sorry it has taken so long to reply
    I don't remember the name of rodent block. Threw paper away and only bought one so far. I would like to raise/release if that's even a possibility . Like inside outside pet...?
    I have two more question Butter is vocal when hungry, playing, tired ect. And we have been trying to learn squirrel calls and the meanings to kinda learn his language some too. Any helpful ideas ???
    And last one. So far that is. Lol.
    He currently weighs 4.63 oz. any way to tell me how old he is. And what proper weight should be. His top teeth are bearily showing .

There are so many ways he can get hurt.
    Every moment is curious mind is learning new things.
    His complacency may be due to instinctive caution and biding of his time.
    Suddenly you will be surprised.
    I am not saying he will suddenly turn and hurt you.
    Because you are a big being and can take a little pain or the loss of a digit.
    But he is small.
    Tiny.
    And can easily get hurt.
    He can get hurt by not getting the right nutrition and shelter.
    Not getting enough warmth.
    Not getting enough space to stretch and exercise and learn to jump by practicing all different surfaces and distances and relationships.

He can get hurt by trusting that something he sees you trust like a hot plate or a sharp edge is safe, when it won't be the way he comes upon it.

More than all that, he can get hurt by getting lost, or by loosing you as a friend when he is not yet ready to be on his own and you are not patient with all the irritating and troublesome things he does and is to you.

Having been learning about squirrels for many years, I think there are a hundred questions to ask.
    The more one knows the more one recognizes.
    Butters needs you to recognize more.

He needs a defined space that is about 2x3x2. He needs SUPERVISED out of cage time EVERY DAY .
    He needs mental and physical stimulation.
    And he needs a lot more food than you can imagine.
    Most squirrels that people have I find are either not fed the right foods or are not fed enough.
    They can easily seem like they are content because we do not read their behavior correctly.
    They can be very hungry, but do not know how to ask for more food.
    And just because they are not eating the food you give them may not mean they had enough to eat!
    It really is amazing.

Ultimately a hungry squirrel will develop resentment and not be as wonderful down the road.
    A squirrel fed the wrong things, or not getting the right nutrition will develop at first hidden then more serious problems that will require a lot of work to remedy.

I wish you had written that you had a hundred questions to ask.
    Then I would feel you were more on track.
    With only two... I have many doubts.

Butters deserves a good life because it is the only one he will ever have.

If you plan on keeping him ,i would suggest cages like these.(these are not my cages) I have an inside cage that is extremely large for both my squirrels .even bigger than that in the pics. Plus they have access to an even bigger cage outside when weather is permitting. There is nothing sadder than a squirrel that has to live in a small space. Squirrels need ,dirt ,sun ,trees,outside.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Quote Originally Posted by Heavenleigh View Post
    Sorry it has taken so long to reply
    I don't remember the name of rodent block. Threw paper away and only bought one so far. I would like to raise/release if that's even a possibility . Like inside outside pet...?
    I have two more question Butter is vocal when hungry, playing, tired ect. And we have been trying to learn squirrel calls and the meanings to kinda learn his language some too. Any helpful ideas ???
    And last one. So far that is. Lol.
    He currently weighs 4.63 oz. any way to tell me how old he is. And what proper weight should be. His top teeth are bearily showing .
    Why wouldn't he be? He's not handicap, not missing any limbs, not neuro walking sideways and can't hold his head up.
    It's not just a possibility, it is what is right for the squirrel! It does not matter how he came to you, it does not alter the fact that he is a wild animal born to be free in the trees. There is no cage regardless of size that will ever replace freedom!
    A squirrel's freedom is in the trees. A cage is still a cage!

I asked about daily diet, I tried to explain the importance of rodent block. A squirrel has very precise nutritional requirements, improper diet is the number one killer of captive squirrels! The absence of a good quality rodent block fed daily subjects captives to Metabolic bone disease. MBD is very painful, mbd cripples, mbd kills!

You ask for " ideas, thoughts and information" We are here to help, let us help you get this little one on the right track to a healthy life. I'm asking again for daily diet.

You also ask about age and have stated he's about 7 weeks and you've only had for a week. How did you come about him and do you have any idea when he opened his eyes? If you can post a picture of him that would give us a better idea of his age as well as defining overall condition.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

Heavenleigh Guest

Lightbulb Re: OVERLY SPOILED?.?..

Henry's is the block name. My husband works with a tree company and this is a rescue from the burn pile which he was currently at the time unloading onto and heard the cries and stopped the loader ,jumped into bucket area and found him. There was no possible way to teunit mother to him or his two siblings . His coworker has them. The trees were gone and mother is long gone and two hour drive away from where he was unloading Because this was not the first time for him to have had to raise a squirrel or five we decided to take on the chalange again. Though this is my first fur baby I will post pictures in a few for yall to better see him He also has nuts which your page helped me choose there are pine buds and seeds also learned from y'all.
    I do have a BILLION questions though I haven't posted them on here does not mean I haven't been doing my research on what when and where how and all that. I am trying here I want him to be healthy and we will make this work to his best interest

OK!
    If you are seriously determined and really dig deep, in the nutrition are here on TSB, ALSO follow the EMERGENCY Section every day.
    Smart people learn from other's mistakes!

It is important that when you release him, he is prepared. He cannot be prepared, if you he just leaves suddenly.

Carrying him about is dangerous. They are bred to be great at biding their time!
    You may think he is chill, cool, comfortable.
    But he may be calculatingly quiet. Waiting. Not eating much. Not drinking as much he should.
    He should be eating about half his body weight each week. It is amazing how much a healthy and HAPPY squirrel will eat compared to one who is silently protesting.
    SUDDENLY, when you least expect it, just after you had a great session with him.
    He will bound to freedom! And you will NOT BE ABLE TO FIND HIM !!!

Also each stranger and new situation is stressful to him.
    If you cannot tell that, most likely you are not yet used to reading his subtle signs.

Hi Heavenleigh.. if you have signed on to this board and read around on some of the forums.. I'm assuming you have figured out there are MANY squirrel raising experts on here.. so I hope you follow any advice given by the 'experts'. Butters is just precious.. and I know you only want the best for him. I'm a new flying squirrel mom.. but when I read that Butters sleeps with you.. I just immediately thought 'Omg'! I just quickly went through the responses so far.. but yes that is NOT a good thing at all.. it's an accident and heartbreak waiting to happen. I saw where you could not afford a good cage.. and I wanted to suggest craigslist.. look under bird cages. I got a nice big cage for $40.. and my Avion is loving it. A larger bird cage for Butters will definitely do for now.. until you figure out how to release him later when he's older. Just please pay attention to those on here that only want the best for your baby.. they know what they are talking about through much experience! Welcome and much luck with Butters

Hi again Heavenleigh. What is your squirrels daily diet?

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.