Thread: Toy ideas??

Default Toy ideas??

I have a grey squirrel, about 6 months old, who is a SPOILED little girl. With that said, my husband and I have spent a small fortune on toys and she just lays around in her cage when she's in there. She will not play with anything. She plays really hard when she is out, which is daily for anywhere from 1-3 hours. When she has had enough of out of cage time she gets very aggressive until you put her back in her cage, where she sits and does nothing. This is my first baby so is this normal? The only thing she will play with is kleenex until she shreds them and then she is done with them.
    I have bought: plushy on a string, rope bridges, fleece garland, assorted dog and cat toys (no choking hazards), antlers, wooden things to chew on, toilet paper rolls, etc.
    Thanks in advance for the help!

Default Re: Toy ideas??

I have one that doesn't play much in his cage either - and after spending a small fortune on toys like you, I discovered that the things I found around my house such as cardboard boxes with a few holes cut in the side, an old sheet hung to make a hammock, a basket tied to a sting to make it swing, and a tree branch fastened to a stool for climbing fun - THOSE are the favorites of my fuzzers! And as for all those expensive toys... yeah, they mostly lay around the room or in the bottom of the cage.
    Oh, and after spending quite a bit of money on various stuffies, I discovered that my Angels all time favorite "stuffie" to wrestle is a cut piece of blanket he's had for months! Hope I gave you a few ideas - these little fuzzer butts are all different in their preferences. I just kept trying different things.
    Life is not measured by the breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

"Don't cry because it's over - smile because it happened." Dr. Seuss

Willi's favorite toy is a small heavy cardboard box with holes in it. I wrap a walnut in tissue and put it in the box. Walnut doesn't come out of the hole easily. Paper towels make great nut stuffing too.

Thank you so much for your responses! Sounds like cardboard boxes may have some popularity. I will have to pick up a few and poke some holes.

Quote Originally Posted by IncrediblyPink View Post
    I have a grey squirrel, about 6 months old, who is a SPOILED little girl. With that said, my husband and I have spent a small fortune on toys and she just lays around in her cage when she's in there. She will not play with anything. She plays really hard when she is out, which is daily for anywhere from 1-3 hours. When she has had enough of out of cage time she gets very aggressive until you put her back in her cage, where she sits and does nothing. This is my first baby so is this normal? The only thing she will play with is kleenex until she shreds them and then she is done with them.
    I have bought: plushy on a string, rope bridges, fleece garland, assorted dog and cat toys (no choking hazards), antlers, wooden things to chew on, toilet paper rolls, etc.
    Thanks in advance for the help!
    I think that some little squirrels just don't play as much as others, sort of like kids.
    You will see some just sitting there, grooming, sleeping or observing all day long.
    I had 4 babies that I overwintered. 3 of them played with each other all day long.
    One of the little females was content to watch, and very seldom took part in their
    activities. In fact, numerous times, they tried to get her to join in, and she would
    retreat to the lower pouch and just grrrrrrrrrrrr at her silblings. She wanted her
    alone time.
    I'm glad that she has out of the cage time, and plays hard. That tells me that she
    is physically capable, but she likes the quiet time too. The fact that she goes back
    into her cage when she has had enough speaks volumes.
    Also being a single, it can get boring just playing with yourself daily. I'm glad she is
    so content, and not pacing the cage and biting the bars..........now that would be
    a HUGE concern.

Isn't she the little one that took so long to start gaining weight?

AND I really think we need pictures of your little Princess.

Annabelle's papa Guest

Absolutely Right Ms. Nancy, There's No Doubt All Animal Species, Just Like Humans, Have A and B Personalities.

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy in New York View Post
    I think that some little squirrels just don't play as much as others, sort of like kids.
    You will see some just sitting there, grooming, sleeping or observing all day long.
    I had 4 babies that I overwintered. 3 of them played with each other all day long.
    One of the little females was content to watch, and very seldom took part in their
    activities. In fact, numerous times, they tried to get her to join in, and she would
    retreat to the lower pouch and just grrrrrrrrrrrr at her silblings. She wanted her
    alone time.
    I'm glad that she has out of the cage time, and plays hard. That tells me that she
    is physically capable, but she likes the quiet time too. The fact that she goes back
    into her cage when she has had enough speaks volumes.
    Also being a single, it can get boring just playing with yourself daily. I'm glad she is
    so content, and not pacing the cage and biting the bars..........now that would be
    a HUGE concern.

Isn't she the little one that took so long to start gaining weight?

AND I really think we need pictures of your little Princess.
    Thank you everyone for the help. I have to drag out the laptop to post anything on here so I'm sorry it took so long to respond. YES Nancy! This is the baby that took FOREVER to gain weight and get regulated. She is doing great. She is VERY MUCH type A. She has her own room where her cage is. She has to be out of her cage in another room if you move anything, otherwise she squawks and flaps her tail until you put it back. Even if it is something you don't remember moving (last time I moved a tub of baby wipes to the other desk). We are just a little proud of her...

Annabelle's papa Guest

She Is Gorgeous!

She looks like quite a character! And yes, totally spoiled too. Great pictures.
    Life is not measured by the breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

"Don't cry because it's over - smile because it happened." Dr. Seuss

Akkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk............now who would have ever believed that this precious
    little peanut would end up looking like this..........the picture of health!
    Mama you did one heck of an amazing job with this little soul!
    How many scales did you go through and how many quarters did you weigh, before
    we got the right scale?
    OMG I am just SO glad that you found this site, and that you did everything humanly possibly
    to save your sweet girl. You were the best finder, and so patient, and determined to get your baby healthy.
    YOU did beyond great..........you got her to the little Diva she so deservedly is today!!!!!!
    Nice job there mama!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! .

What a wonderful transformation she is beautiful

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy in New York View Post
    Akkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk............now who would have ever believed that this precious
    little peanut would end up looking like this..........the picture of health!
    Mama you did one heck of an amazing job with this little soul!
    How many scales did you go through and how many quarters did you weigh, before
    we got the right scale?
    OMG I am just SO glad that you found this site, and that you did everything humanly possibly
    to save your sweet girl. You were the best finder, and so patient, and determined to get your baby healthy.
    YOU did beyond great..........you got her to the little Diva she so deservedly is today!!!!!!
    Nice job there mama!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! .

She was definitely a difficult little gal. LOTS AND LOTS of prayers helped get her through it. Between her not being the easiest case and me getting incorrect information before I found you guys it was touch and go for awhile. TSB is the only reason she is here. I still am so thankful to everyone. She is definitely worth all of that hard work. Hats off to rehabbers who do it all the time!!!

I made my own toys.....I had fleece blankets and cut them in long strands. I tied knots in different spots and then hung it in the cage (knot swing). I cut smaller pieces of fleece and knotted them up and use them as a play toy. I used old t-shirts as hammocks and a knot swing. My little one (not sure if Scat is a boy or girl, things have been changing) will run and jump mid air onto one of the swings in his cage. He will see his toy laying around and pounce on it. I also have one of the plastic feet massage things. It has "steering wheels" he can turn. Hope this all helps!

Annabelle's papa Guest