Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 1 year old squirrel needs new home (permanent,non-release home)

Default Re: 1 year old squirrel needs new home (permanent,non-release home)

Flyers basically can't be released as singletons! They are colony animals and can't just join any old colony. Basically, they need to be raised with others of their kind to be released. Most singletons on here end up being pets. Flyers are very happy indoors with humans if their environment and diet are proper and they get lots of play/bonding time out of cage. Also, they don't get along well with gray sqs. You may already have a pet.

Can you tell us about his diet and living conditions?

Can you tell us if you're still interested in Havoc given this news and what kind of living conditions/diet he would get over his lifetime if he came to live with you?

Sorry for all of the questions, but I know Kally has a lot to deal with right now and isn't here to ask such questions in a timely fashion.

TREE APE Guest

I keep all baby sq's in a large nesting cage until eyes open then they are allowed to run my sq proof home . most of the time they sleep with us which pisses my wife of but she lives with it and enjoy's them as much as I do.
    As for your questions of Diet? over the years I have found that the squirrel will tell you what he wants. I have read posts on this site that range from strait junk food to the strictest of strict . I offer squirrels a wide veriety of foods from fresh veg, seed's, fruit , grasses, hay, green twiggs and the best for me is shell on mixed nuts.
    As for the flying squirrel you are partly right. But think about the logic of what you said? it doesn't work. colonies raise and lower in size all the time ranging from predation to being driven off. loner's re establish in groups out siders that left markings inside group zones become familiar . you are absolutlly right I can't dump him next to a group and wish for the best. This takes time and effort and the desire to see something through.
    you also said something about different sub groups of squirrels not living wel with others. I disagree with that. I have had 3 grays and 5 fox squirrels running the house at the same time. other than it getting alittle busy there were no issues. The flyer is so much smaller and nocturnal attention has to be paid in very area of his life.
    if you would like to know more I sugjest that you come to our home and see for your self. after all it is no more of a drive than I am whilling to make for the squirrel.

That diet you mention won't win you any friends here, and not many healthy sqs either. I really doubt that Kally would be interested in giving you Havoc at this point because I know she is very attentive to his health. The diet you should be following is this:

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...-Pet-Squirrels

It has been composed through scientific research and the experiences of a number of sq rehabbers who have raised thousands of sqs. Letting the sqs decide is exactly like letting a five year old decide their own diet. Hell, even adults don't chose a healthy diet much of the time. Sqs eat all manner of flowers, mosses, nuts, leaves, etc. and the above diet tries to address all that in a human controlled setting.

As to your flyer, all I can tell you is that our flyer experts, who have put in tons of study on the subject and raised countless on their own, indicate that releasing a singleton is almost always a death sentence.

As to sqs not getting along, grays and foxes often don't, and flyers and other sqs usually don't.

I've put up an inquiry over at Squirrel-Nation to see if anyone there can help.

I think this may not be getting full attention because of the holidays. There seems to be less activity on TSB in general.

Don't give up Kally!

I have checked with a few rehabbers here that would love to take him in.. but I would have to get help with a train to get him to me and I can get he rest of his trip finished.. I am here if needed and there is no one closer.. and yes he will be very well cared for as any one of the 3 are great and have room for him.. not to mention I could check in any time I please..hehehe and get pics..

That's great to hear! I think he's a healthy sq (though very pet friendly), so would they be OK with keeping him as a NR? Would he get individual attention and out of cage time?

yes he would be well taken care of.. but being so far they would need a squirrely train to me... also they all have means to care for him properly and vet care...

We would be able to give the squirrel a forever home. We are in Jacksonville fl not sure of how we can get him shipped or figure a way to get him. We have plenty of room and a loving family.
    furninaandfurchris

Sissyandbubba, we have done "squirrel trains" many times before where members here do a relay across long distances to get a squirrel to a new home. However, we'd need you to tell us about yourself, all about yourself, how you came to be interested in sqs, if you're financially stable, if you have the time necessary for this, if you have access to a vet, know the commitment, spend time researching how to care for them, etc. Pictures of your setup would be great too. You probably should do that in your other thread where you said that you're looking to provide a home. It's nothing personal, we just don't know who you are and we're VERY cautious about who we put a sq with. Lots of people come here wanting a sq but really aren't ready for it. We've had quite a number take on a sq (not from here, of course) only to find out later that they've lost their job, or have to move, or can't afford it, or get a job which doesn't allow for the time necessary to feed/play/clean, or didn't realize how destructive they can be, basically just kept them in a cage all day, etc. And they end up here trying to dump their sq, even though it's so very hard on the sq. If you satisfy our curiosity, there is a very, very good chance we'll be calling on you either for this sq or for others. Just a short time ago we had someone make a post just like yours looking to provide a home for one or more sqs, and after vetting her, maybe two months later a train was set up to get a couple babies to her. So, please go to your thread and tell us all about yourself.

Kally, you can follow Sissyandbubba's thread here:

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...r-forever-home

OK I will update the thread now. With all the vital info and include some pics. I understand concerns as we do love our sissy and bubba and they have become more than squirrels they are children and part of our family.
    furninaandfurchris

kally Guest

Quote Originally Posted by kally View Post
    my mother found him almost a year ago just a baby his eyes weren't even open yet .a dog had him we got him from the dog unharmed he was alive wasn't even hurt just couldn't take care of himself so we brought him home and I made sure he was ok .we have had him for a year now and we have loved him the best we could he is in good health he is sweet and fun and its weird but he loves it when he makes us laugh .when he was a baby I named him havoc hoping he would turn out to be calm but he loves to hop and run and climb .he loves people and attention .he was very close with my father but the situation my mother and I are in we can not care for him the way he deserves and we want him to be happy. my father passed away a few weeks ago and I wont be home anymore .I wont have time for him and he wont have the space he used to have .I really need a good home for him. I have never had a problem with him chewing or scratching our furniture or with biting he is very sweet. my father loved him very much so we are hoping for a home that has the time to provide and love for him because we wont have that time anymore. we love him very much and he love people so much.
    Sorry I haven't been on my internet has been down.Still looking for a good home for him,if anyone can give him a loving home with plenty of time and attention,good diet.He is a gray squirrel,im sorry I forgot to mention that before.He is very loving,and I already don't have the time and space for him,so the sooner a reply the better.I apologize if I do not get back to you in good timing they are working on my streets internet cable,but I will do my best to get back to you as quickly as I am able.

I live in Texas. I have rehabbed and released many squirrels. If a train could head this way I would love to take him in

I missed this earlier. I;m sick and have no memory. If nothing materializes, keep asking and I;ll try to make this happen. We've done it before. I hope things are well. If you need help, blocks, etc. please ask. PM if you want.

Quote Originally Posted by shellonu View Post
    I live in Texas. I have rehabbed and released many squirrels. If a train could head this way I would love to take him in

I am in Texarkana. Can help with train if needed. Husband travels to Dallas and surrounding areas frequently. Just let me know if I can help.
    Loyalty is not about the people who act true to
    your face. It's about who remains true
    behind
    your back.

We are still able to give home or if help is needed in train available for that as well. Just let us know what we can do to help.
    furninaandfurchris

It looks like there may be some options to explore here? Lets find this squirrel a new forever home!
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

I live in Kentucky if you want PM me your phone number and I will give you a call tomorrow maybe we can work something out I have three Flyers already would be happy to take another one ...

so I just realized this was a grey squirrel which is fine I can take him in until we can find a permanent place for him if that is helpful to you...

. Thanks for this generous offer!

Quote Originally Posted by flyer girl View Post
    so I just realized this was a grey squirrel which is fine I can take him in until we can find a permanent place for him if that is helpful to you...
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by flyer girl View Post

This is very generous.
    Hopefully kally will come on and let us know more
    specifics so we can get this taken care of.
    Thank you for your offer.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.