Thread: adult squirrel recipe

Default adult squirrel recipe

i don't know if im to put 16 or 4 tablets calcium+d and do i need potacium glucanate in recipe? and also 3 scoops or 1 of pure whey protein isolate i have an old recipe and a newer one can you help please i don't want to much or to little or is there a hole new recipe?

Default Re: adultsquirrel recipee

Are you trying to make HHB?

Quote Originally Posted by ChippersMommy View Post
    Here is the recipe I followed- but didnt pay attention to which can of baking powder i grabbed out the pantry

Homemade Squirrel Block Recipe (or Henry's Healthy Block - HHB)
    (Revised 11/01/11)
    Makes approximately a 4-week supply for a 1-pound squirrel.

Preheat oven to 205 degrees Fahrenheit

Dry ingredients:
    80 g Pure Whey Protein Isolate for adult formula (for growth formula, use 160 g).
    130 g finely ground nuts (any kind; peanuts, pecans, or almonds work well)
    1/3 cup wheat flour (optional)
    1 tsp aluminum-free baking powder
    1 package (33 g) Henry's Healthy Vita-Mins*

Wet ingredients:
    1 whole egg
    1 tsp vanilla or almond extract (optional)
    1/2 cup water, or a little more, as needed (this is for growth formula only; do not add water to the adult formula unless the dough is too dry when mixed)

Instructions:
    Place dry ingredients in a large bowl and mix well.

Add all the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix with a fork until dough sticks together. It will be fairly dry, like pie crust dough. Wearing gloves or with your bare hands (oiled), press the dough down and then start to knead it. Once the dough forms a ball, place it onto a lightly greased surface and knead a few more times until smooth and uniform in color. Roll dough out into a roll or flatten into a square, and place on a lightly greased baking sheet. Bake for 1 1/2 hours. While still warm, cut into 60 pieces with a sharp knife

Allow the blocks to cool for at least 2 hours. Then place in zip-lock bags and store them in the fridge or freezer. They will keep in the fridge for several weeks. They will keep in the freezer for several months (unopened and with as much air as possible removed from the bag before sealing). Some squirrels enjoy eating them cold or frozen, but you can also put a cold block into the microwave for about 5-10 seconds to warm it up.

Default Re: adult squirrel recipe

yes thank you but im making my own with the vitamins and I just need to know I got the right amount of each vitamin

how much vitamin mix do you put in, the bag says its a month supply so the whole bag go in each batch?

Quote Originally Posted by SUNSHINE View Post
    how much vitamin mix do you put in, the bag says its a month supply so the whole bag go in each batch?
    If you use Henry's vitamins, you put 33g of Henry's vitamins per batch ---- see the recipe.

*If you want to make your own vitamin/mineral premix, please consult the Nutrient Requirements of Laboratory Animals-Rats, or one of the standard nutrient profiles for rats, such as those used in commercial rodent blocks.

Quote Originally Posted by SUNSHINE View Post
    i don't know if im to put 16 or 4 tablets calcium+d and do i need potacium glucanate in recipe? and also 3 scoops or 1 of pure whey protein isolate i have an old recipe and a newer one can you help please i don't want to much or to little or is there a hole new recipe?
    If you are using the packet of vitamins from Henry's, I am confused by this question. What vitamins are you using?

Is this the most up to date recipe? Just wanted to double check before I invest in the ingredients. :

Quote Originally Posted by sierrasmom97 View Post
    Is this the most up to date recipe? Just wanted to double check before I invest in the ingredients. :
    There are some recipes here http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...rrel+cook+book

so do people prefer to use the henry's vitamin mix? or have people been happy with mixing your own vitamins into the batch? I am wondering if buying your own vitamins to add to the batch would be more cost-effective in the long run, but at the same time, I am wondering if henrys would provide fresher ingredients, as time goes on, the individual vitamin bottles might become a little stale? my squirrel seems to have a 'freshness' issue. lol

Quote Originally Posted by MaryNGordon View Post
    so do people prefer to use the henry's vitamin mix? or have people been happy with mixing your own vitamins into the batch? I am wondering if buying your own vitamins to add to the batch would be more cost-effective in the long run, but at the same time, I am wondering if henrys would provide fresher ingredients, as time goes on, the individual vitamin bottles might become a little stale? my squirrel seems to have a 'freshness' issue. lol
    I'd say definitely get the mixes from Henry's. Leigh makes them up special for squirrels and it has everything your babies will need. Unless you're very very very very well versed in diet and the specific needs for the squees, I wouldn't risk it
    Hope I answered what you were asking!!!

11. Serious fuzzy thank you's to DarkLies212 from:

MaryNGordon (11-09-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by DarkLies212 View Post
    I'd say definitely get the mixes from Henry's. Leigh makes them up special for squirrels and it has everything your babies will need. Unless you're very very very very well versed in diet and the specific needs for the squees, I wouldn't risk it
    Hope I answered what you were asking!!!
    Good point, I made something simmilar one time, although it did not look as good as their block (it was more like a power bar consistency), but she loved it

lately my squirrel seems to be overlooking the block more and more, even picky blocks are not picked up first like they used to be. (I freeze the leftovers for wild squirrels) I think if I make it (I purchased their vitamins) then buy their blocks she will appreciate them again