Thread: Report pox to the authorities???

Default Report pox to the authorities???

I think I saw someone here once mention this because it's so contagious. So, do people report this so that an effected sq can be euthed to not only stop the suffering but prevent an outbreak?

I saw my first pox sq today when coming back from the market. I think she was a juvenile. Her pox wasn't super bad (though one closing her eye a little) and I'm wondering if it was just starting or wrapping up. She only had a few boils, but had a big circle on her side of reddish pink skin about the size of a nickle. Would this be consistent with pox? Do the boils fall off and leave naked, irritated skin?

I don't think I can really do anything for her. I walk past the yard she was in probably 5 days a week, but I don't know how I could help her. I threw her a handful of shelled nuts that I had in my pocket, and I'll continue to do so if I see her, but I don't know how I'd get meds in her.

Thanks.

Default Re: Report pox to the authorities???

She might have pox and mange --- they often go hand in hand because are both are caused by a supressed immune system. With winter in full swing now things do not bode well for her, unfortunately.

As for the authorities, they don't give a rat's patoot about squirrels -- with or without pox. City agencies consider them 'vermin'....I am highly skeptical of any civic entity ever making a move or spending a dime to stop squirrel pox. It would be a great thing if they did, of course.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

Mine might. Not to be a dick, but I live in one of the richer communities of the US. (Sadly, I'm not of the billionaire class.) We have beau coup tax dollars and lots of bored public servants. Seriously. I live on a major thoroughfare and it's not uncommon for six squad cars with lights flashing to show up for a speeding ticket. The owners of the Sox, the owner of the Patriots, Barbara Walters, and all manner of the rich and famous live in my tiny town. There is every reason to believe that a world renowned virology team will show up to investigate the situation. Seriously, I think we have one of the higher tax rates in the US. I'm not kidding about that. I believe that Manhattan can kiss our ass.

Farelli, I can tell you they will not do anything (or they may just decide to trap and kill all, just in case). Sadly, there is not much you can do. I know it is not the opinion of most here, and I am thankful I have never had one, but areound here, most would euth. a pox squirrel, if it was the only one they see, to try to prevent more from getting it. Since it is spread by the bite of a mosquito, and they are not around now, there is not a big risk for spread. But perhaps she could be trapped? Pox is so hard to treat, so hard on them. And I am pretty sure they remain carriers once the lesions are gone (correct me peeps if I am wrong), so that risk remains for other squirrels.
    President--Meemor Anonymous,
    Mary...
    MISS YOU NUT, LOVE YOU FOREVER.
    BEAN, NOW IN HEAVEN BUT FOREVER IN MY HEART,
    I AM A BETTER PERSON FOR HAVING LOVED YOU.
    BUDDY...YOU WERE MY BEST FRIEND AND I WILL MISS YOU FOREVER.
    PEANUT...YOU CHANGED ME FOREVER..AND TOOK MY HEART WHEN YOU LEFT.
    I WILL MISS YOU FOREVER AND A DAY.

Quote Originally Posted by pappy1264 View Post
    Farelli, I can tell you they will not do anything (or they may just decide to trap and kill all, just in case). Sadly, there is not much you can do. I know it is not the opinion of most here, and I am thankful I have never had one, but areound here, most would euth. a pox squirrel, if it was the only one they see, to try to prevent more from getting it. Since it is spread by the bite of a mosquito, and they are not around now, there is not a big risk for spread. But perhaps she could be trapped? Pox is so hard to treat, so hard on them. And I am pretty sure they remain carriers once the lesions are gone (correct me peeps if I am wrong), so that risk remains for other squirrels.
    It isn't as contagious as everyone thinks. I have literally hundreds of squirrels around here and had five that developed it this summer. The strength of the immune system of individual animals is more important than anything - a healthy squirrel can get over it on their own and usually won't develop it bad to begin with. The terrible cases likely had problems first - starvation, infestation with parasites, etc.

Actually, much like other pox types, if they recover they have the antibodies to fight it in their bodies, and will not get it again.

Thanks CrM. Are the symptoms of my girl on the wane or on the wax? The nickle sized sore makes me curious.

You said it is a juvie? They are the ones that are hit the hardest, unfortunately - they haven't had the time to develop a strong immune system yet. The worst of my wilds was a juvie.

It is hard to tell but you will know in a few days. They itch, especially as they begin to dry, and the squirrels will frequently scratch themselves raw, which may be what you saw.

If he/she looks the same in a few days, the immune system may be taking care of it. If it is not, the lesions will blow up with horrifying speed. It is an awful disease, and unless you are in a situation where you can reasonably medicate at least once a day, there is little you can really do.

Thanks. I'll look for her every day and hope to see her again.

I feed one sq at my supermarket by hand, hoping that it reduces her running around in the parking lot. May I assume that my shoes aren't bringing anything into her territory? I think she has babies. She's the reason I had a pocket full of nuts.

So am I wrong in saying they will be carriers? I know if they get it and survive they will not get it again. But if they get bit by a mosquito, and it bites another, will it be spread? I have always been told that is the case. We have only seen one case here (well was not from this area), vet advised to pts. It was not under my care, so I did not have a say, but was aware of it (actually I had taken one in that had shared the same 'bed' with this baby for a couple of days, but he never developed anything, thankfully. They were not related.)
    President--Meemor Anonymous,
    Mary...
    MISS YOU NUT, LOVE YOU FOREVER.
    BEAN, NOW IN HEAVEN BUT FOREVER IN MY HEART,
    I AM A BETTER PERSON FOR HAVING LOVED YOU.
    BUDDY...YOU WERE MY BEST FRIEND AND I WILL MISS YOU FOREVER.
    PEANUT...YOU CHANGED ME FOREVER..AND TOOK MY HEART WHEN YOU LEFT.
    I WILL MISS YOU FOREVER AND A DAY.

Quote Originally Posted by pappy1264 View Post
    So am I wrong in saying they will be carriers? I know if they get it and survive they will not get it again. But if they get bit by a mosquito, and it bites another, will it be spread? I have always been told that is the case. We have only seen one case here (well was not from this area), vet advised to pts. It was not under my care, so I did not have a say, but was aware of it (actually I had taken one in that had shared the same 'bed' with this baby for a couple of days, but he never developed anything, thankfully. They were not related.)
    Now see, I don't know. Logic says it would technically be possible, but I don't think it would be likely unless the animal was actively shedding the virus. Technically speaking, I suppose, tiny amounts of every kind of virus you have ever had can likely be found in your blood if you look long and hard enough.