Thread: Ohio- Release cage on other property ?? Or others too with similar laws...

Default Ohio- Release cage on other property ?? Or others too with similar laws...

I have a subdivision house. I intend to keep it " small" maybe ten squirrels a season or so.. depending of course.. But I am NOT equipped to take 600 Thats for sure.

Considering populations.. and the fact I can not control my neighbors getting out door cats in the future.. or dogs in their yards etc.. I may want to have a separate release site. More wooded, away from roads etc. I may want to reserve my back yard for special situations.

I am hearing that Ohio may change the laws SOON AND VERY SOON. That Cat ones may be subject to mandatory yearly inspections of their facility. Ok. I understand that is for the for the best for the animals.. etc.. BUT..

Lets say my friend offers me her local wooded lot for release cage sites. Same county etc. So when and if I am inspected.. how do they inspect it? Do I drive them out there? Is that allowed?

We are supposed to release with in 1/4 mile of the finder.. so how , if we comply with that law... and have willing finders with a safe place.. HOW can we accommodate a soft release in multiple situation like that?

Does anyone have experience with that?
    Stephanie Carlson

St. Melangell Small Mammal Sanctuary
    ODNR Permitted Cat 2 Rehabilatator
    https://www.facebook.com/StMelangellSmallMammal/

Default Re: Ohio- Release cage on other property ?? Or others too with similar laws...

I would think that if you have a cage in your yard that is suitable for acclimating they wouldn't really be overly concerned with the actual release site. I know that there are many who take them and hard release them away from their homes. I am in CT, but I would think that it probably isn't too different.

Default Re: Ohio- Release cage on other property ?? Or others too with similar laws...

Quote Originally Posted by SammysMom View Post
    I would think that if you have a cage in your yard that is suitable for acclimating they wouldn't really be overly concerned with the actual release site. I know that there are many who take them and hard release them away from their homes. I am in CT, but I would think that it probably isn't too different.
    Thank you. an it makes sense.. In your opinion is the acclimation part the most important part of the soft release.. ??

Not sure if I Phrased that right.. Lets say.. is acclimation for a month suitable.. if doing a nest box release in a finders yard will be the result? ( I know its all hypothetical but.. ) Is that still called a soft release procedure with a hard release end?
    Stephanie Carlson

I suppose it is. I am not really a fan of that idea, but I am a nervous Nellie and I know other rehabbers do it that way and are totally comfortable with it. I like the thought that they are able to come back to the safety of the release cage at night if they are happier that way.

Read up on Island Rehabbers release protocol, she utilizes off site release cages.
    Anne
    Wildlife and Squirrel Rescue,Inc.
    Rescuing Fl squirrels since 1979
    Moderator: NFSA Emergency Care
    Wildlife Intake Coordinator and Rehab Consultant at "The Ark Wildlife Care and Sanctuary Inc"
    http://www.thearkwildlifecareandsanctuary.com/

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but learning to how to dance in the rain"

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it taken place."
    George Bernard Shaw

"Kindness is the language the blind can see and the deaf can hear." - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Anne View Post
    Read up on Island Rehabbers release protocol, she utilizes off site release cages.
    Awesome idea! Thank you.

And Sammy's Mom. Thanks. I like the idea too. I would really want it to be local cause of supplemental foods. I have had 3 families volunteer their farms already ! I am lucky there. Perhaps I could get one that could shut the trap door at night.. Or maybe if the hole is squirrel sized only they could just come and go as needed.
    Stephanie Carlson

Just remember that anything a squirrel can fit through a rat or a weasel can also fit through. If you build your cages in panels that screw together you can put it wherever you are able to for that particular batch of babies.

Add long as you do not transport them across county lines its fine..
    Ohio state licensed wildlife rehabilitator..
    It's not about what the world can do for you, but what you can do for the world! !

Quote Originally Posted by Imcandy View Post
    Add long as you do not transport them across county lines its fine..
    Whoa...MD can at least transport across county lines. Just not state lines.

Quote Originally Posted by UDoWhat View Post
    Whoa...MD can at least transport across county lines. Just not state lines.
    This has always cracked me up. Do you figure that squirrels can read the state signs to make sure they stay on the right side? I bet the rebellious ones jump back and forth over the state line just to be contrary.

Hmm.. I thought the county rules was for racoons only.

I have not done it but i know people take stuff to the OWC in columbus.
    Stephanie Carlson