Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to squirrels, found baby. Formula mixed with baby food/cereal? Is ths safe?

bbgreen Guest

Default New to squirrels, found baby. Formula mixed with baby food/cereal? Is ths safe?

Hello all, I am new to this board and in the few days I have been reading I have learned so much!! This past Thursday I took in a baby squirrel I believe to be approx. 4-6 weeks? I weighed her and she is 73 grams. Furred and eyes open curls tail over back occasionally just seems rather small/skinny and no energy.... She is eating 3cc every feeding (4hrs) & going to the bathroom good on her own (I am still stimulating after each feeding as well). I rehydrated etc as learned at the beginning.. An acquaintance of mine mentioned at her age I could mix her formula with human baby food, they suggested the ones with cereal already mixed in and the fruit mixed type ones. Is this information accurate??? Also, at what age should I keep the heating pad under cage for warmth? I have cared for several orphaned raccoons, otters, deer etc. But am new to squirrels so all the info and suggestions I can get would be awesome!

Thank you so much!!
    Brittani

Default Re: New to squirrels, found baby. Formula mixed with baby food/cereal? Is ths safe?

What formula are you feeding? It's critical, and the proper one does not need anything added.

Are you feeding 5-7% of body wright? You need a scale.

Are you feeding at the proper temp? Their body temp is 102F so they like it very warm.

Are you following proper feeding technique - head pointed down, syringe pointed up:

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...DING-TECHNIQUE!!

The heating pad comes out when they don't use it anymore.

Can you provide some pics and the weight of the sq?

Eyes open at 5 weeks.

Do not use ANYTHING used with racoons with a sq. Most raccoons carry a parasite in their poop deadly to sqs and even bleach doesn't kill it. There can never be cross contamination.

Default Re: New to squirrels, found baby. Formula mixed with baby food/cereal? Is ths safe?

Quote Originally Posted by bbgreen View Post
    Hello all, I am new to this board and in the few days I have been reading I have learned so much!! This past Thursday I took in a baby squirrel I believe to be approx. 4-6 weeks? I weighed her and she is 73 grams. Furred and eyes open curls tail over back occasionally just seems rather small/skinny and no energy.... She is eating 3cc every feeding (4hrs) & going to the bathroom good on her own (I am still stimulating after each feeding as well). I rehydrated etc as learned at the beginning.. An acquaintance of mine mentioned at her age I could mix her formula with human baby food, they suggested the ones with cereal already mixed in and the fruit mixed type ones. Is this information accurate??? Also, at what age should I keep the heating pad under cage for warmth? I have cared for several orphaned raccoons, otters, deer etc. But am new to squirrels so all the info and suggestions I can get would be awesome!

Thank you so much!!
    Brittani

I'm running out now, but I will move your thread to the non emergency section so that it
    gets more attention. I'm sure someone will come on shortly to help you.
    One thing, NO baby food mixed in.
    And feed with powdered Esbilac the one with probiotics. OR with Fox Valley 20/50.
    I'm happy that you found us!

I have to go now too. Others will help.

Yes, she may still want heat at this age, so I would leave it under half the cage and when you notice her not wanting to be on it anymore, then you know she doesn't need it anymore.
    Also, if you want to start her on solids, Kaytee Rodent blocks you can buy at the pet stores are ok, but Henry's blocks from henryspets.com or monkey biscuits are better. But at this age, she will probably primarily eat formula and just nibble on solids.

Make sure you feed her with a 1cc or 3cc syringe as they can easily aspirate if the formula comes out too quickly.
    Life is not measured by the breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

"Don't cry because it's over - smile because it happened." Dr. Seuss

bbgreen Guest

I am currently feeding kitten replacer milk (picture), but am in process as of now of ordering foxvalley after reading for over an hour, that is best? I have a scale weighed her this afternoon she is 73 almost 74 grams. I used the following formula weight in grams x 5% to determine dose of feeding as of now little less than 4cc which she has been eating 3cc since beginning of feeding. yes on the correct feeding technique I looked that up upon finding her. pictures of her are attached. Also have attached pic of syringes I have available, she prefers one on far left and does well with it and no aspirating (of course I have to measure it out with a different one as this one has no number markings on it).Anything I can do better than what I have mentioned or any tips that anyone has are greatly appreciated!!!! Also, as for using anything a raccoon has. I NEVER use anything that has been used with one animal for another when done with anything it is disposed of.
    Name:  267.jpg
Views: 918
Size:  1.09 MBName:  268.jpg
Views: 913
Size:  1.06 MBName:  297.jpg
Views: 918
Size:  1.14 MBName:  315.jpg
Views: 875
Size:  1.05 MBName:  317.jpg
Views: 873
Size:  1.05 MB

The kitten formula is a no go, it does nothing but cause their digestive
    systems problems. We have seen many a sick baby over the use of kitten formula,
    sometimes critical.
    Puppy formula is what they should be eating, Esbilac with the probiotics is recommended.
    Also recommended feeding is with a 1cc or a 3cc if experienced. Nipples are a plus.
    It is important to control the flow of formula so baby does not aspirate.
    Name:  ScreenGrab-Esbilac-cansWeb.jpg
Views: 859
Size:  179.0 KB
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

I am in Orlando, I have supplies ,where are you, I can help.

Simon's video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mzpwo0r35l0

“Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened.”
    ― Anatole France

Reading back...
    Your baby is underweight.
    Another problem with kitten formula, it does not have or supply
    the daily or proper nutrition required for a squirrel.

Quote Originally Posted by bbgreen View Post
    I took in a baby squirrel I believe to be approx. 4-6 weeks? I weighed her and she is 73 grams. Furred and eyes open curls tail over back occasionally just seems rather small/skinny and no energy....
    Weight Chart:
    Based on --Wild Mammal Babies 2nd Edition
    Birth ---: between 15 & 25 grams
    1 weeks: between 25 & 60 grams
    2 weeks: between 60 & 70 grams
    3 weeks: between 70 & 80 grams
    4 weeks: between 80 & 120 grams
    5 weeks: between 120 & 150 grams
    6 weeks: between 150 & 250 grams
    7-8 weeks: 250 grams and greater

There are exceptions but this chart reflects the average expectation.
    Weighing baby routinely has the advantage not just to monitor weight gain
    but to head off future problems if baby is not gaining.

FYI... That syringe on far left is way too large for feeding this baby
    and it can be dangerous to continue to do so.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

I am also in Florida and depending on location I can help you too. Great job on reading up. Her hair is spiked and that can mean a couple of things. Do the pinch test - grab so skin "pinch it up" and see if it returns to the body, if not she is still dehydrated.

By help, I mean give you syringes and check baby, give meds if needed. I don't like the "look" in her eyes...she looks down.

Quote Originally Posted by crazy4squirrels View Post
    By help, I mean give you syringes and check baby, give meds if needed. I don't like the "look" in her eyes...she looks down.
    I agree, she looks dehydrated...and that is enough by its self to make poor baby feel bad.. but if I was u I would take the offer for a check up, or house call.. lol would not hurt they can go down hill fast even being dehydrated can kill them.. or a combo of being sick with it, so please let some one come check the baby out..

She does look like one that I just had who was fed kitten formula. It is VERY important that you get her on a healthier diet. This is NOT meant as any kind of criticism, but we would really like to help you to get her healthy. You have a couple of terrific offers in Florida. If either of these ladies is nearby, take them up on their offer. You will not be disappointed!
    Squirrels, squirrels and more squirrels....
    Prayers for the people who make this a better world...
    savesquirrels@sbcglobal.net

Thank you SM, even if she isnt close, driving isnt a problem.

Simon's video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mzpwo0r35l0

“Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened.”
    ― Anatole France

bbgreen Guest

The pictures above are of the day I found her, I thought it may be better to help determine age. These pictures are of tonight about an hour ago. She was for sure a bit spunky when I woke her to take these... lol Everytime I would move to get a side shot she would run a circle and back to me to get next to my neck. It was also mentioned above her fur looking a little spikey is what I think was said, cant recall specific words. Her fur does seem a bit odd to me, it looks almost like she has two different textures coats.. like when its between seasons and a dog has its summer coat still losing it longer winter one is the best way I can describe it. I did the pinch test and her skin went back down... Also, it was stated above the syringe she likes looked to large. I took a pic of it next to a 1cc syringe to double check size of opening, if I should still use a different one or if it was ok...? I live in Jacksonville, FL for the ones asking. Thank you all for all the help and information in making sure I can give her the best care possible!
    Name:  325.jpg
Views: 851
Size:  1.05 MBName:  319.jpg
Views: 846
Size:  1.03 MBName:  320.jpg
Views: 838
Size:  1.08 MBName:  324.jpg
Views: 841
Size:  1.05 MB

Honestly, she still has the look of a baby who is not getting the proper nutrition and may be slightly dehydrated. Please reach out for help...
    Squirrels, squirrels and more squirrels....
    Prayers for the people who make this a better world...
    savesquirrels@sbcglobal.net

bbgreen Guest

for anyone that lives close I am open to all help I can receive for this girl and for further education!!! I have ordered foxvalley day one 20/50 for better nutrition so will begin that as soon as I receive it... Is it safe to continue the kitten milk until then or should I switch to the goat milk recipe I have seen on the forums until the foxvalley arrives? Sweet Simons Mommy, sorry wasn't trying to be discrete on my location in the private message, and hope I didn't come across as doing so.. I apologize if I did!

The Esbilac can be found at may pet stores, so that part should be easy.

Yes, you can use goat milk in the meantime or Esbilac. If you have already put out the money on the FoxValley then use the goat milk mix. You should get the FoxValley within 5 days, if Nick gets it out which he normally jumps on it. Switching from formula to formula can be hard on their system and the goat milk, to me that is, transitions easier. My opinion.

Cute baby ....I'm just chiming in to say hi and ! I am of no help because I'm a newbie as well and in the same boat as you. The people here are fantastic, and so willing to help. They've gotten me through my first week as a "squirrel mom" and my babies are doing much better.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.