Thread: Baby girl SO much bigger than the boys!!

Default Baby girl SO much bigger than the boys!!

So it's no secret that my Darla is a big bully when it comes to her brothers coming between her and her food, but HOLY COW is she getting big!! Hubby and I joke about her being chunky (I swear, she's going to think her name is Chunky Money), but I know that being overweight can lead to problems as well, so I'd like to get a handle on it now if it's an issue.

They're about 14 weeks old. 3 boys, 1 girl. We feed Harlan Teklad 2018's with about 4-6 HHB's cut up and mixed in the bowl daily, along with a salad mix of endive, romaine, broccoli, cauliflower, mushrooms, brussels sprouts, celery greens, and kale, and make it interesting every couple of days by adding a bit of either snap peas, acorn squash, sweet potato, asparagus or carrots.

2-3 time per week, all 4 receive a piece of cut up fruit, sometimes apples, sometimes pears, sometimes melon. Once or twice a week, I give them all a nut or two (walnut, almond, pecan or hazelnut) and a couple of times a week, they also get a bowl of FV/Enfamil mix of formula to share.

They have a ready supply of fresh water from two different bottles (they also have 2 block and 2 salad food bowls so that there's no crowding/fighting at the same spot all the time), and a healthy supply of branches, leaves and toys. They play and run around like crazy.

Darla is very active with her brothers, running, playing and wrestling, but is known to "steal" the food right from their mouths if they don't eat it fast enough.

They're all quite healthy. The boys are nice and lean, muscular looking. All 4 of them are very agile (almost acrobatic!), eyes are shiny and full of life, but she is just HUGE in comparison to them! She has started to get her winter coat, VERY fluffy with white spots behind the ears, but the boys haven't yet.

Not sure if there may be a metabolic problem with her, or if females are just prone to put on the extra weight at this time of year? Will try to get a photo comparison later today. She doesn't FEEL much heavier than the boys when I hold her, but the boys feel a little more "solid" if you know what I mean? lol

Anyone with insight is encouraged to share their experiences, as this whole thing has been very much a learning experience for me! Thanks!
    First time squirrel mom of 4:
    Wally, Harvey, Timmy & Darla (2014)
    Anticipated release: Spring 2015

Default Re: Baby girl SO much bigger than the boys!!

Sorry for the poor quality.
    It's a gloomy day here today and the cell phone doesn't pick up what little light I have very well.
    Ended up using the flash for one last picture to try and get a good one.

Name:  10804970_10153535521750942_1488764396_n.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  72.8 KB

Name:  10799525_10153535521720942_335382133_n.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  92.2 KB

Name:  10811452_10153535521660942_731098629_n.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  100.9 KB

In the spring I had a group who came in together and trixie was the same size as a pinkie, but grew much larger than her brothers. She was over 150g when she opened her eyes and always remained larger. She is released and healthy as can be. Don't worry about your girl just because she is larger.
    Squirrels, squirrels and more squirrels....
    Prayers for the people who make this a better world...
    savesquirrels@sbcglobal.net

Good to know! It's not so much being larger that worries me, it's that she's larger only in girth, not necessarily overall size! :P ... Wally is the biggest of them all in terms of length (was as a 5 week old too, and it hasn't changed). Harvey and Timmy are pretty much even when it comes to length and weight (Timmy was a runt, and aside from being just a LITTLE more brown overall, is pretty much a twin to Harvey now!). Darla sits somewhere in the middle in length, but is quite round LOL. Even her face is chubbier than the boys. I guess I shouldn't worry, as this part is necessary to get through a winter in the wild. I just don't want to be the cause of any unecessary health problems!

Quote Originally Posted by krysgrandmond View Post

2-3 time per week, all 4 receive a piece of cut up fruit, sometimes apples, sometimes pears, sometimes melon. Once or twice a week, I give them all a nut or two (walnut, almond, pecan or hazelnut) and a couple of times a week, they also get a bowl of FV/Enfamil mix of formula to share.
    Overall, I would say diet looks good but I thought enfamil , a human baby formula was bad for squirrels ?! Perhaps that is causing some issues?

If it's the squirrel I think it is ( in the bottom two pics the squirrel farther away ) she looks too fluffy and kinds spikey .. Something odd going on with the fur. But don't have the experience to guess as to what.
    Last edited by Mommaluvy; 11-09-2014 at 01:59 PM. Reason: Perhaps you meant esbilac .. Which is good.
    Stephanie Carlson

St. Melangell Small Mammal Sanctuary
    ODNR Permitted Cat 2 Rehabilatator
    https://www.facebook.com/StMelangellSmallMammal/

Totally meant Esbilac, sorry!! LOL ... her fur is VERY full and fluffy. Like an undercoat coming in. It's extremely soft to the touch. Wish she'd let me cuddle with her LOL. The boys' coats feel a little coarser in comparison to hers.

Quote Originally Posted by Mommaluvy View Post
    Overall, I would say diet looks good but I thought enfamil , a human baby formula was bad for squirrels ?! Perhaps that is causing some issues?

If it's the squirrel I think it is ( in the bottom two pics the squirrel farther away ) she looks too fluffy and kinds spikey .. Something odd going on with the fur. But don't have the experience to guess as to what.

Quote Originally Posted by krysgrandmond View Post
    Totally meant Esbilac, sorry!! LOL ... her fur is VERY full and fluffy. Like an undercoat coming in. It's extremely soft to the touch. Wish she'd let me cuddle with her LOL. The boys' coats feel a little coarser in comparison to hers.
    GOOD.. I was looking for a relief icon but I could not find it.

Hmm. Well its probably normal. But I would make sure she is getting enough calcium. Although her diet sounded pretty good to this newbie ( me) . But ever squee is different in the long run. I have vit D deficiency but my sister has Pernicious anemia. ( Vit B issue ) So things may be fine with her brothers...... AND SHE MAY BE FINE... BUT.. since it concerns you enough to mention it... I would simply add formula every day. I know your thinking " she will get as big as a house" but.. I just wonder if she is getting enough calcium . Maybe she just requires more. I WOULD NOT SUPPLEMENT at this point...

Do you have a vet? Either way probably normal. But I would .. IF I would suspect anything other than her just eating too much.. That fur looks odd to me. So wait to see what the more experienced here say. The fur makes me think she may need more formula. I know it sounds counter intuitive.. but maybe offer it ever day. ESP if your planning on overwintering. Which I think you said you are.

So.. if anything.. do not worry but I would offer formula to her as long as she will take it. Some with Non releaseables wish theirs would take formula even as adults. Keep us posted and Good Luck. I think they look beautiful.
    Stephanie Carlson

St. Melangell Small Mammal Sanctuary
    ODNR Permitted Cat 2 Rehabilatator
    https://www.facebook.com/StMelangellSmallMammal/