Thread: Food question...

Default Food question...

8 week old baby acquired, male, gaining weight fine in past 1.5 week Ive had him. Ive been putting fresh cut up vegetables, various kinds, every other day, and he wont eat ANY of it!

Ive tried:
    Chickory, kale, parsley, sweet potato, green beans, apple, blackberry, grapes, broccoli, cheerios, acorn squash, pumpkin, banana, snap peas, cucumber

He only wants the fruits of course, which I keep to a bare minimum, as I want him to eat the veggies! I keep rodent block always in his cage, Im not really sure if he is eating it, its mostly crumbled in the bottom of the cage, he does NOT touch the zupreem primate diet at all, only the rodent block.

I give him one piece of fruit in the mornings and a pile of 2-3 veggies every day, switching it up every other day or so. Any ideas?? Should I just keep offering it to him? He also doesnt drink any water at all from the bowl or water bottle (realizing he has to learn, I offer it to him daily as well).

He is taking about 15cc of esbilac formula 3x a day, weighed 8.2oz this morning.

Thanks for any help!

Default Re: Food question...

What kind of blocks are you giving?

We usually recommend that at this age nothing but blocks and formula be given. ONLY after he's eating his blocks consistently are other foods introduced. The eating of blocks is critical to his health. If you introduce other foods before then, especially fruit or nuts, you will have problems getting him to eat his blocks later. That is a battle you don;t want to fight.

Quote Originally Posted by farrelli View Post
    What kind of blocks are you giving?

We usually recommend that at this age nothing but blocks and formula be given. ONLY after he's eating his blocks consistently are other foods introduced. The eating of blocks is critical to his health. If you introduce other foods before then, especially fruit or nuts, you will have problems getting him to eat his blocks later. That is a battle you don;t want to fight.

I get them from Chris' Squirrels and More....Mazuri brand I think it is? It came in a bulk bag, same as Ive fed all my rehabbed squirrels in the past.

So you suggest I just hold off on the veggies for now? When do you recommend I re-introduce them?

My last ones ate everything, this one seems finicky!

Most people don't introduce anything else until they are really eating (and not stashing) their blocks, consistently. Certainly no fruit or nuts.

Quote Originally Posted by farrelli View Post
    Most people don't introduce anything else until they are really eating (and not stashing) their blocks, consistently. Certainly no fruit or nuts.
    Thank you, I appreciate the advice!