Thread: looking for flying sqirrels

Kageri Guest

Default looking for flying sqirrels

We are in eastern Iowa and looking for flying squirrels and info on them. Considering breeding. We have about a dozen chinchillas, 6 breeding hedgehogs plus hoglets, and a bunch of dwarf rabbits right now. We've had gliders, delved into birds for awhile, duprasi, degus, and more common rodents. While discussing getting gliders again flying squirrels came up and seem to have temperament and diet characteristic that we like better.

Default Re: looking for flying sqirrels

Kageri
    to The Squirrel Board

Well, if you're looking for information about flying squirrels, you've come to the right place. Under Breed Specific you'll find an entire section about flying squirrels. You'll find almost everything you need to know about them. We would be happy to answer any specific questions that you have.

Are you a breeder of exotic animals? Are you a USDA facility? Just curious. I'd like to give you my opinion on breeding flying squirrels in captivity. To be completely honest with you, I am totally against it. They do breed in captivity and some around here have had accidental litters.

I don't believe there is enough of a market for them that they should be breed for sale. We recently were involved in rehoming flyers due to illness in the home. At this point, not all of these have been rehomed. If you breed them there is no guarantee that you will find homes for them. We, many times have flyers around here that need homes due to being non releases or the difficulties related to release because they should not be released as singles.

Another reason I am not for breeding flying squirrels is because most people that will acquire a flyer have no idea what type of commitment they are getting into. They are a very unique pet with very unique needs. Most people will get a pocket pet like this and then loose interest when the novelty passes. Flyers are nocturnal ... this is difficult for most people. They are VERY expensive to keep. There diet requirements are very specific and very expensive. My flyers eat better than I do. If the diet needs can be met by the prospective owner, the emotional needs of the flyer also must be considered. They are VERY social and need interaction with others OR their person. Throwing some food in the cage won't cut it. If their social needs are not met they can develop OCD tendencies that can be destructive. We have had that happen with some that were well loved.

OK, I didn't t mean to discourage you from having a flyer. I just don't think you should intentionally breed them. I have three and I love them so much. Just as an FYI, I didn't purchase any of my flyers. I have a breeder (captive)born that was rehomed due to illness, a rescue and a rehome. I haven't gotten a full nights sleep since I got them. Seriously! I think they are great pets for someone that can make the HUGE commitment that can be for their entire lifespan than can be up to 15 years.

One more thing I forgot to add. They are illegal to own in many states and therefore it is impossible to get vet care in illegal states. This is a huge problem.

Read ... Read ... You'll find a wealth of info here. Again, welcome!!!

To be honest, I can't see why anyone breeds anything for pets. There are just so many animals out there in shelters, looking for homes, so sad an lonely, and so many pets with homes which aren't good ones who need to find the care they deserve. Why anyone would want to add to this mess, I just can't see.

Criminy, every day we find people here, with good hearts, who are just personally unprepared to take care of their charges. I can't walk past a pet store and not image what sadness and pain are in store for so many of the beings in that building. Good lord, I just had a rabies "scare" over a cat adopted from the ASPCA by a millionaire couple, the husband a world renowned expert in microbiology at MIT, who not only let their cat run free, but didn't bother to get its shots. Most people can't manage to take care of themselves, never mind another being. They think they're doing a good job, but they're really just fooling themselves. Why anyone would want to contribute to this cycle instead of helping those who are already here is beyond me.

Patti, Chris: Both excellent posts. Although I do aspire to be a hobby breeder, my criteria for people and homes will be and has been very strict.
    Anne
    Wildlife and Squirrel Rescue,Inc.
    Rescuing Fl squirrels since 1979
    Moderator: NFSA Emergency Care
    Wildlife Intake Coordinator and Rehab Consultant at "The Ark Wildlife Care and Sanctuary Inc"
    http://www.thearkwildlifecareandsanctuary.com/

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but learning to how to dance in the rain"

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it taken place."
    George Bernard Shaw

"Kindness is the language the blind can see and the deaf can hear." - Mark Twain

I love my flyers. I've had a pair for over a year and got them from someone who had for 2.5 years. She just had her first litter of one ....accidentally......Unplanned. I would say if you wanted one to look for ones that are being rehomed. People don't realize what they are signing up for...and too many here on the board are coming on to give them up and it's not fair. If you breed you will be contributing to the problem.

Kageri Guest

We do not require a USDA license the level we breed. Under 5 breeding age female hedgehogs and we only sell privately. I will not send them to petstores. I breed animals to make well bred and handled animals so they make better pets and are less likely to end up rehomed. Fewer also get taken from the wild. There is a demand for them and most wouldn't take on the difficulties of a rescue anyway. There is no way I will ever adopt a dog again. I want the traits and socialization I get from purebred dogs chosen carefully by the breeder. I see the same with small pets. Many hedgehogs are completely antisocial and may develop a neurological disease. Our hedgehogs come from stock free of genetic illness and we are working toward hedgehogs who never put up their quills making them more interactive and both hedgehog and owner happy.

sid'smommy Guest

Quote Originally Posted by farrelli View Post
    To be honest, I can't see why anyone breeds anything for pets. There are just so many animals out there in shelters, looking for homes, so sad an lonely, and so many pets with homes which aren't good ones who need to find the care they deserve. Why anyone would want to add to this mess, I just can't see.

Criminy, every day we find people here, with good hearts, who are just personally unprepared to take care of their charges. I can't walk past a pet store and not image what sadness and pain are in store for so many of the beings in that building. Good lord, I just had a rabies "scare" over a cat adopted from the ASPCA by a millionaire couple, the husband a world renowned expert in microbiology at MIT, who not only let their cat run free, but didn't bother to get its shots. Most people can't manage to take care of themselves, never mind another being. They think they're doing a good job, but they're really just fooling themselves. Why anyone would want to contribute to this cycle instead of helping those who are already here is beyond me.
    I agree with Farelli ... ^^ Even tho you adopt privately, you don't know what happens behind closed doors. Handled by young children/ mean people... teased and tormented... neglected .... or, it bites someone, and "has to go".... moving, cant take with... somebody is allergic, or doesn't like the smell.... I personally am having a lot of issues with my rescues.. severely allergic to the rabbit, moderately allergic to cats and dog, and the flyers stink up my house.... But, I suffer thru it... because I made a commitment, and I cannot just hand them over to someone else knowing that they will never understand why. Most people don't feel that way tho. Flyers are communal and babies sometimes live with mom for years, and when they are ready, they go. That's nature.... Would you have babies just to adopt out privately , and just "trust" they will be taken care of ??

Kageri Guest

There is no point for pro and anti breeders to discuss it. I've learned neither will understand the other. Opinions and view of the world is too different. That doesn't mean people can't still learn from each other.

I have to agree with everyone else, in that there are so many homeless, sick, injured animals now, why breed more?

and you are right we will never agree, I try hard to release EVERY animal I get, someone on here has a signature

A day of freedom is better then a life time in a cage.

And unless they are NR then to me, it is cruel to keep them as pets. IMO.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.