Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rockies butt!?

Default Re: Rockies butt!?

Quote Originally Posted by MollyBear361 View Post
    He looks like he's eating something in the second pic? Or is he washing his face? Most people just use lots of fleece...
    Don't need the wild pine needles.....not sure it would hurt him or not? They usually play with the blocks before they learn to actually eat them. Some squirrels prefer theirs warmed up....some soak in water for a minute then micro...have u tried that with the Henrys? Some people put a tiny bit of peanut or almond butter on them to get them interested....may want to wait for the poop issues to clear up first though......
    No he is just cleaning. I am going to over winter him. I hope to release him in the spring. He has fleece in his cage as well. I have block all in that pine straw and some in a designated pile. I just thought maybe it would be better for him to do what squirrel do. Idk, I'm totally flying by the seat of my pants. So keep feeding every 5 hours? I will try to soak the block in some water...what about soaking it in formula?

You can certainly soak it in formula. That is a great idea to try to get him to eat it happily. I would really let him eat less more often rather than more less often. I have had 120g babies who were still eating minimally 5x per day. Doing just hydration for tonight is really a good way to get the formula out of his system.
    I never focus on trying to get them to stop formula, but rather try to keep them on it as long as possible especially since you are going to overwinter him. Formula is like insurance for their health. I would suggest going to henryspets.com and ordering Fox Valley 20/50 formula. Using it in a 50/50 mix with the Esbilac adds fat and will help to encourage growth. He doesn't look bad, but he looks thin to me. The Fox Valley is a great formula specifically for wildlife.
    Squirrels, squirrels and more squirrels....
    Prayers for the people who make this a better world...
    savesquirrels@sbcglobal.net

Can you get other bedding for him? Something soft and someplace that he can hide as they love to burrow in and under.
    I used fleece squares, actually they are blanket squares that I cut up and place about
    20-30 in their cage. I would get rid of those pine needles and put down some absorbent bedding
    such as carefresh. Is there a flooring over a litter tray, actually is there a tray in that cage for litter, or
    do you just put it on the floor?

Does he have any stuffies or things to play with? He looks lonely, I think he needs a buddy.

I think he looks proportionate.

He may be small but I remember that he was SUPER sick and you had to cancel a trip to keep him hydrated . He had watery stool, diarrhea, weight loss and pneumonia correct? This is the same squirrel right?
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...se-help!/page7

If so I would not be too concerned about his weight/ overall size. . Considering how compromised he was just 4 weeks ago. Just make sure he is gaining.. and resist the temptation to over feed. His size is NOT your fault. He has more than doubled his weight in a month.

But don't fret.. he will catch up. SLow and steady. You did really well with him then. And your doing fine now.
    Stephanie Carlson

St. Melangell Small Mammal Sanctuary
    ODNR Permitted Cat 2 Rehabilatator
    https://www.facebook.com/StMelangellSmallMammal/

PM me your name and address and I will get fleece in the mail to you Monday.
    Did you know that I am a fleeceaholic.

Yes, Nancy has good fleece!

I second the suggestion to warm the block up a bit. Our squirrels really didn't eat much block until they had begun to wean themselves off the formula. I think if you keep offering it eventually they will get interested.

Quote Originally Posted by Nletchworth View Post
    I have a water bottle attached to the cage. Do they need a bowl instead?
    Just wanted to clarify about the water. They don't always know how to drink water from those water bottles. Do you know with certainty he is drinking water from the bottle; have you witnessed him actually drinking from it? If not, definitely put a dish of water in there with him (I prefer something shallower than a cereal "bowl").

Edit: Clarify about dish versus bowl.

Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
    Just wanted to clarify about the water. They don't always know how to drink water from those water bottles. Do you know with certainty he is drinking water from the bottle; have you witnessed him actually drinking from it? If not, definitely put a dish of water in there with him (I prefer something shallower than a cereal "bowl").

Edit: Clarify about dish versus bowl.

You can also put some large marbles or stones into the water so that he can't put his whole nose into the water.

Sounds like you are putting a bunch of blocks in at once. I know Henry's are expensive so maybe just try one or half of one til he starts eating them. You can put more of the others as they are cheaper and don't go bad unrefrigerated.

My concern here is that the poop was described as being "like greenish toothpaste". Does it have a foul odor? Not to alarm you, but greenish-grey slimy poop is a sign of giardia.....

Was the question ever answered as to what formula he is on? His coat looks rough to me.....
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

Quote Originally Posted by island rehabber View Post
    My concern here is that the poop was described as being "like greenish toothpaste". Does it have a foul odor? Not to alarm you, but greenish-grey slimy poop is a sign of giardia.....

Was the question ever answered as to what formula he is on? His coat looks rough to me.....
    Yes, he stinks. But I assumed they all stink or that maybe he got milk on him. I gave him a bath last night bc if his odor. The poop I saw today came out fresh while I was cleaning his butt and it was pale green toothpaste colored. He is eating Esbilac formula. What is giardia and can me or my kids catch that? Not to sound stupid but I have infant here.

Quote Originally Posted by Nletchworth View Post
    Yes, he stinks. But I assumed they all stink or that maybe he got milk on him. I gave him a bath last night bc if his odor. The poop I saw today came out fresh while I was cleaning his butt and it was pale green toothpaste colored. He is eating Esbilac formula. What is giardia and can me or my kids catch that? Not to sound stupid but I have infant here.
    It could be giardia - this has been a poop filled year - ( chicken legs - lennys mom- me- beezle and others ) but rule out over feeding.

Yes, you can get it. Its a protozoa. But you can also get it just by contact with dirty water. Make sure your hand washing etc . Can your vet run a fecal? Its worth a try bit it may not show up.

If tweaking the feedings do not help - then someone here could dose a med for you or you could get it from your vet.
    If memory serves Panacur ( name brand) or the drug name fenbendazole is the med you would want for Giardia.

But tweak the feedings for a day or so and then see.
    Stephanie Carlson

His poo shouldn't stink. Do u have vet access where you can bring them a sample. Don't say it's a squirrel buy maybe your pet rat

This does sound like giardia. Be VERY careful about not spreading it to other animals or even yourself, although I've never heard of anyone catching it from a squirrel. Panacur is what you need for this.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

How's the little one doing today?

Did you find some Panacur? I have Metro but it's expired.....like in 2000.

You might want to send that Metro along and I have fresh on the way as well. It won't hurt and it might be a help just to get it started.

Any update on poor Rockie and his raw bottom?
    Stephanie Carlson

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12