Thread: little usage of both back feet!

NutmegAndGinger Guest

Default little usage of both back feet!

Hi everyone! I'm hoping someone can help me understand what's going on with my little Nutmeg. He has limited usage of both of his back feet, specifically the toes. He can move his hips? And the feet themselves but he doesn't seem able to use his toes to grasp. When he's climbing down something, or someone, he ends up sliding.. and not very gracefully.

I've been trying to find something online to help me understand what happened to him (birth defect or injury when he was a baby) but I'm only able to find information on paralyzed squirrels.

I am letting him climbs furniture as he wants but I line the floor underneath him with a lot of fluffy blankets for when he falls.

I just feel bad for him because his brother Ginger is an AMAZING climber and Nutmeg just wants to go where he does..

Does anyone know any exercises or things we can do with him that could possibly help?

Attached is a picture of his back feet. The toes are normally closed together (as you can see by his far foot). The toes on the closer foot are open because of the way I was holding him.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Default Re: little usage of both back feet!

How old is your little guy? Has he been like this since you got him? What does he eat every day?
    Squirrels, squirrels and more squirrels....
    Prayers for the people who make this a better world...
    savesquirrels@sbcglobal.net

NutmegAndGinger Guest

I would say he's between 9 and 10 weeks. My fiancé thinks it's closer to 11 though.

They do not want to be weaned so they are still drinking esbilac (2 parts water, 1 part esbilac powder, and 1/4 part half and half) 3 times a day.

We've introduced henrys high protein rodent blocks about 2 weeks ago and Nutmeg has been half eating and half shredding them.

When we got them, both of their back feet were like that, however his brothers feet got better while his never did. Nutmeg eats less than his brother but he always seems to have had enough to eat

NutmegAndGinger Guest

Sorry, I normally post off of my cell phone and now that I am on a computer I realize how big my pictures are! Attached is aa picture of my boys, maybe someone can help me figure out how old they are. This picture was taken two weeks ago!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

They look like 8 weeks +/- in the pics to me so 10 +/- now. I would say to stop adding the half/half and change to heavy cream if it is needed. It is odd that they were both in that condition initially.
    Squirrels, squirrels and more squirrels....
    Prayers for the people who make this a better world...
    savesquirrels@sbcglobal.net

We STRONGLY recommend not taking them outside unless it is time for release and they have gone through the soft release process. So many sad stories...

NutmegAndGinger Guest

Quote Originally Posted by farrelli View Post
    We STRONGLY recommend not taking them outside unless it is time for release and they have gone through the soft release process. So many sad stories...
    Yes, we took them out one time and then after being on the board I realized that it was not a good idea! We don't plan on bringing them out anymore!