Thread: Palm fruit oil?

Default Palm fruit oil?

Max is having issues eating his HHB. Read to mix peanut/almond butter or yogurt with them. He does not like yogurt. I found all natural almond butter made with almonds and palm fruit oil. i read on the nutrition sticky some palms are bad. Is palm fruit oil ok for him to eat?

Default Re: Palm fruit oil?

Good Question..... Does any one know?

generally, palm oil (can be listed as palm kernel oil and so on) is not a good oil to eat for anyone.
    It can be found in pretty much any processed product now because it's cheap.
    I don't remember all the details right now, but it does not get digested properly, causing all sorts of long-term problems including chronic inflammation (chronic inflammation is not like an inflamed cut or wound that hurts, red etc; internal chronic inflammation can go unnoticed for years affecting one's body in very bad ways leading to all sorts of serious problems including cancer (the seriousness of a health issue will depend, of course, on one's predispositions etc).

So, would not recommend eating anything with any trace of palm oil.

If possible, it might be best to return that butter and look for something that has only ground nuts and no other added oils.
    Sometimes, they add extra oils to nut butters when the nuts they are using are not of very good quality, kind of helps to mask that.

Although sometimes some mfgs say this kind of palm stuff is good and that kind of palm isn't, I wouldn't personally consume any kind of palm oil anything. Again, don't remember all the technical details (it was an extensive article that I read a while ago), but the bottom line - it's not good for anyone.

Palm kernel oil is good. Palm seed oil is NOT. They are made from different parts of different trees. Read a little: http://www.livestrong.com/article/48...for-the-heart/

BTW, the poisonous "palm" - the sago palm, is NOT A PALM. It is not even vaguely related to them - the leaf growth just looks kind of "palm-y." It is a cycad and is more closely related to ferns. They are prehistoric plants - the dinosaurs walked through forests of these things. This is why I HATE popular names for identifying plants - I know the Latin stuff is kind of unwieldy but it is the only way to know what you are actually dealing with...

Thanks everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by CritterMom View Post
    Palm kernel oil is good. Palm seed oil is NOT. They are made from different parts of different trees. Read a little: http://www.livestrong.com/article/48...for-the-heart/
    CrM, actually, this very article says that they are made from the same fruit of one and the same palm tree: the fruit oil is made from the flesh of the fruit, and the kernel oil is made from the seed of the fruit.
    So yes, they are from one and the same palm tree.

I wish I could provide a link to what I read about it, but it was a hard copy in a foreign language in one of the European journals (something like science for non-scientists, or scientific findings explained in a popular way).
    Again, don't remember all the details, but basically, what it says is that this whole palm stuff is not really meant to be eaten.
    There is something about the molecular structure of palm products that do not get digested by humans.
    It's one of those things that even though they can be eaten, does not mean they should be.
    It's a rather cheap oil to produce, that's why it is found in tons of products.

Not to start one of those on-going "discussion" threads, just to clarify a bit