Thread: Are they supposed to be acting like little maniacs at age of 8-9 weeks?

Default Are they supposed to be acting like little maniacs at age of 8-9 weeks?

This little female is like the Tasmanian devil! I give them about an hour out of cage play per day plus toys in cage/hidey holes nest box, and she acts like the energizer bunny that will never run out of juice! I am going to be wearing a turtleneck with long sleeves and pants for play, as it looks like my neck has 100 paper cuts on it. So..... Will they calm down? Is this the danger phase? Neither one of them are alarming yet... My male is neuro and is not nearly as active, so he is a chunky boy. Mostly he will sit on our shoulder and stay in one place. She is 195g and he is 250g. Thanks for any input!
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Squee-Mammy to Rocky the fox squee and Peanut the Grey squee.

Default Re: Are they supposed to be acting like little maniacs at age of 8-9 weeks?

Btw this is one of their milk jug beds that they have used since eyes opened. I picked it up for the pic.

Default Re: Are they supposed to be acting like little maniacs at age of 8-9 weeks?

Yes she is supposed to be acting like this and she will get wilder and wilder! She is preparing herself for a life in the trees.
    At some point either she needs to have a very large cage and NOT get out-of-cage time, or a room for herself that she can run around in. You will not be able to get her back into a small cage, after awhile, if she doesn't want to go. Trust me, blood will flow and it won't be hers .
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

Aww, cute little babies. I love the milk jug bed. How clever.
    You asked will she calm down. Not really! They are very busy at this age. As they get larger, they dig those claws deeper as they climb on you. It is really quite painful. You are their tree and they love to climb. My overwintered girl had to stay mostly in the cage as the release day approached. She would launch onto me from a distance. She is much happier in the trees and so am I.

You will need to wear protective clothing. Some wear a robe while the babies are out.

I have a ferret nation double. I need something bigger? She has been with us since she was a pinky and is in cage with neuro male. Do I need to separate them? I may need help from someone to take her if the cage isn't big enough. Now I'm really worried. I have no resources to release here and wouldn't anyway due to many predators in the area.

They are adorable I also love the milk jug bed .....my guys are in a double tier ferret nation cage and it's been fine....they do get time out in the morning and evening evenings are easier to get them back in, because they get tired and return to their nests...mornings can be a challenge ...but I entice them with their breakfast and it works every time

My older girl is in three ferret nations combined....my other two are younger, and one is partially paralyzed. I am one of those that always wears a robe love sleeve shirt....and long pants, socks and slippers I stay relatively scratch free this way I have resorted to wearing turtlenecks...especially when I had three running around me
    Make the world a better place...one animal at a time

The Peace of Wild Things
    BY WENDELL BERRY
    When despair for the world grows in me
    and I wake in the night at the least sound
    in fear of what my life and my children’s lives may be,
    I go and lie down where the wood drake
    rests in his beauty on the water, and the great heron feeds.
    I come into the peace of wild things
    who do not tax their lives with forethought
    of grief. I come into the presence of still water.
    And I feel above me the day-blind stars
    waiting with their light. For a time
    I rest in the grace of the world, and am free.

I am really torn as to what to do now........ They are eating mass quantities of FV four times a day, but rarely shred or eat their block. I am taking each out one at a time to feed. I tried to feed her thru the cage and she jumped up on the bars like a starved prisoner and gave me what for! LOL I suppose if she gets too bad I will have to feed thru cage. I do have to put them in their old sterilite tote while cage cleaning for now, as I still need to get the other tray for FN cage......they are in the top section right now....the boy is not a good climber.

In the next week or two, they will still eat their FV, but they will start chewing on the block (they will start shredding it and eventually they will eat it). They are transitioning to a life in the wild (you can't stop their internal instincts). Even a Ferret Nation Double will start to feel small to them.
    Squaddy to Hanzel , The sweetest Maloccluded boy in the world, and Gem - A jewel of a squirrel, who just happens to be paralyzed!

RIP my sweet Rex . Wait for me at the Rainbow Bridge.