Thread: My squirrel died

Paula Guest

Default My squirrel died

I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the right section but I guess it doesn't matter so much anyways.im devastated my squirrel was about 9 or 10 weeks old. Just last night he was doing great playing with a limb I put in there acting silly like a kitten and making me laugh.i go to check on him this evening and he is passed away.How can this happen???? I got the esbilac puppy milk about 3 weeks ago but he refused it so I started giving him strawberries broccoli grapes and pecans.I ordered the picky blocks but could never get him to even try them...I changed his bedding every day and his water I don't understand what went wrong. The only thing different was the small tree limb I put in there yesterday oak limb and he was playing on it last night but he was pulling off the bark and maybe eating a little... Could that be what happened? I just don't know... He was doing great. I should have got him to a rehaber That's what I should have done but I was waiting until he was weaned off the pecans and he was eating less of them and more of the fruit and veggies. I knew they wouldn't let him have any at all. This so totally sucks! I'm confused and heartbroken. His name was sweetie boy and he was the sweetest squirrel ever lived. Ok I'm done sorry so long but only those that have loved a squirrel and lost them can understand. I could cry a ocean of tears for that little guy. Sheila.

Default Re: My squirrel died

Godspeed little one...

I am so sorry for your loss. Are you telling us that he wasn't taking formula or eating block? He really needed one or the other, but it seems that is not likely what caused his death. Is it possible that the oak limb came from a tree that had been sprayed?
    Squirrels, squirrels and more squirrels....
    Prayers for the people who make this a better world...
    savesquirrels@sbcglobal.net

Quote Originally Posted by Paula View Post
    I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the right section but I guess it doesn't matter so much anyways.im devastated my squirrel was about 9 or 10 weeks old. Just last night he was doing great playing with a limb I put in there acting silly like a kitten and making me laugh.i go to check on him this evening and he is passed away.How can this happen???? I got the esbilac puppy milk about 3 weeks ago but he refused it so I started giving him strawberries broccoli grapes and pecans.I ordered the picky blocks but could never get him to even try them...I changed his bedding every day and his water I don't understand what went wrong. The only thing different was the small tree limb I put in there yesterday oak limb and he was playing on it last night but he was pulling off the bark and maybe eating a little... Could that be what happened? I just don't know... He was doing great. I should have got him to a rehaber That's what I should have done but I was waiting until he was weaned off the pecans and he was eating less of them and more of the fruit and veggies. I knew they wouldn't let him have any at all. This so totally sucks! I'm confused and heartbroken. His name was sweetie boy and he was the sweetest squirrel ever lived. Ok I'm done sorry so long but only those that have loved a squirrel and lost them can understand. I could cry a ocean of tears for that little guy. Sheila.
    From what I'm reading, in all honestly it was most likely diet related IMO. A common mistake many of us (in the beginning) have made as well. In the wild they know how to eat and balance their nutritional levels, in captivity we are the ones that have to balance those levels. Squirrels have a high calcium requirement among other things. He needed the nutrition in the formula or block to balance and keep his levels up. The wrong diet can actually rob the body of it's calcium. Block should be the first solid food introduced and eating well before other foods are introduced. Fruit and nuts should always be limited and viewed only as treats.
    As confusing as it may seem, it is not unusual for a squirrel to be jumping around and appear to be perfectly fine one minute and gone without warning the next. It is in their genetics not to show weakness, a benefit in the wild that would not make them appear as prey to a predator.
    I'm sorry for your loss and do understand how losing one of these babies is a deep kind of hurt, but do not let his little life be in vain! Read our forums, search for proper diet and understand it's importance. Ask whatever questions that come to mind and be prepared for the next time one of these little's finds it's way to you.
    And don't! Beat yourself up for what you didn't know at the time! Change it and make that difference!
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

Aww so sorry . Hiw long did you know/ have him?
    Stephanie Carlson

St. Melangell Small Mammal Sanctuary
    ODNR Permitted Cat 2 Rehabilatator
    https://www.facebook.com/StMelangellSmallMammal/

I am so sorry for your loss. I too, lost my first squirrel so I do understand the devastation that you feel. I also understand about crying an ocean of tears because I did. My heart breaks for you tonight because I know the pain that you feel. Everyone here understands just how special your Sweetie Boy was to you. I am so sorry.

R.I.P. Sweetie Boy You were loved.

You'll see your sweet little man in other eyes one day. And you'll know what to do so he grows up healthy and strong. Sweet sleep little one

I am so very sorry for your loss. I know you are devastated. They are amazing little creatures. Knowing their love is something very special, that very few ever get to experience.

Gods speed, little one. You were well loved. Sleep tight in the angels arms.

Quote Originally Posted by Chickenlegs View Post
    You'll see your sweet little man in other eyes one day. And you'll know what to do so he grows up healthy and strong. Sweet sleep little one
    Beautifully said, and so so true.
    We can bring a heart of understanding and compassion to a world that needs it so much. ~~ Jack Kornfield

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.