Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Flying Squirrel

Default Re: Flying Squirrel

If you can post of pic of his tummy that would be great!
    Squammy to: Jordyn & Parkyr -Southern Flyers

2016 Babies - Sweet Pea & Chance

Releases: Della & James, Oak, Ash & Maple, Schitzo,Shawty,Cricket,Chandy,Bonnie & Clyde,
    Screech, Fiona, Porgy & Bess

RIP: Itty Bitty, Rascal, Whisper

Passion4Trashin on eBay ~ Click the link below to find great deals!
    http://www.ebay.com/sch/passion4trashin/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=&rt=nc&_dmd=2
    or here https://www.facebook.com/pages/Passi...6044929?ref=hl
    If you have any questions or are searching for something please contact me via PM or
    passionfortrashin@gmail.com
    Per the new rule only sellers will be allowed to post in their thread in the "For Sale" Forum.

No he is not bloated his milk line disappears or is almost gone at each feeding. BUt I do know that can be a concern. I will back off the food and stay with the sugar water till he poops.

Good thing it's moving. You can even soak his bottom in some warm water and tummy massages often help to get things moving along. I usually stroke top down and from the sides in. Hope he poops soon! You might try two more sugar water feedings and then you could start back with a 3 parts water to one part powder mix of the formula until he's going regular.

Releases: Della & James, Oak, Ash & Maple, Schitzo,Shawty,Cricket,Chandy,Bonnie & Clyde,

http://www.ebay.com/sch/passion4trashin/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=&rt=nc&_dmd=2
    If you have any questions or are searching for something please contact me via PM or
    Per the new rule only sellers will be allowed to post in their thread in the "For Sale" Forum.

Others in your area may have one or more that he could be with. Or you could keep him. Everyone here always says that they're very happy inside as long as you can provide lots of love, stimulation, and interaction.

They do make very nice pets. Now that I have some, I can't imagine life without at least one! they are just so wonderful!

Quote Originally Posted by pixiepoo View Post
    They do make very nice pets. Now that I have some, I can't imagine life without at least one! they are just so wonderful!
    Amen to that!

We finally have poop!! and thats it for me time to go to bed so i can get up and do this in anohter three hours!!!

Quote Originally Posted by firerunner View Post
    We finally have poop!! and thats it for me time to go to bed so i can get up and do this in anohter three hours!!!
    Yay!!! Get some rest. Hopefully things will be easier on both of you now that things are moving along.

I weighed him yesterday morning at 8:30 after a water feed and he weigh 14 grams

this morning he weighed 16 grams!!!!! The three hour feedings must be working so I will continue doing those till he gets a little bigger. No signs of bloat, milk line is disappearing, and he is pooping and peeing!! Ya I am a happy person this morning (altho a little tired I have MS so not enough sleep causes havoc one my diseased body)

OMG He is so cute

So glad to hear he is doing better. It won't be long until you can stretch the feedings out to 4 hours.

Yay!!! I'm so glad he is doing well! just switched my new one to every 3 hours too!

I am happy to announce that at this mornings weigh in Rocky is up ANOTHER 2 grams!!! I am going to give him a few more days but OMG he looks better then the first pics already and then I will grab another pic to post.

So a few questions

He does have teeth and last night after his feed he was licking my fingers and chewing on my nails, honestly it was almost like he was playing with me. His little front feet would come out and paw at my finger, so I would move it and he would sorta jump at it and when I let him catch it he would lick and bite at it.

So how old do you think he is? Obviously over 4/5 weeks with his eyes open but do you think older then that 6/7 or 7/8?

And when should I offer him a HHB? And keep him on the formula until he decides he doesn't want it? (that's what we do with the squirrels, they give it up we don't take it from them)

and lastly, I think we are keeping him, I have fallen hard for this little guy. I even called my vet so I can take Rocky in for a wellness check up next week.

Fortunately I have a hubby that can build anything and we own a wood shop soooo I am thinking a cage that is 16 feet high by 10 by 10? Too big? We have the space in our florida room which is all windows and A/c'ed during the summer and heated during the winter.

Yup another happy morning here !!!!

In my opinion, no cage size is 'too big.' Give him all the room you have to offer the more space he has to glide around in, the happier he will be. Mine used to nibble my fingers too and 'groom' my fingernails. It was cute as heck.
    Squammy to Momo, the flying squirrel.
    <3 Momo - adopted Nov 1, 2011 - Went to rainbow bridge August 2014
    Married Momo's squaddy on April 27, 2013!!
    Fur mommy to Loki, rescue pup - adopted November 2014

I am thinking this little flyer landed in HEAVEN!

The only thing I would suggest with an enormous enclosure like that is that YOU have a way to get to your flyer even if he is up at the top. They will naturally chose to nest and sleep as high as they can get and in the case of sickness or injury, you are going to have to retrieve this guy. So build ways to do that right into the cage - they can do double duty as little landing spots but don't wait until you are trying to drag a ladder around inside the cage to have to do this in an emergency.

A big cage is great but most won't come down low near the floor so one set up on a base is great especially if you use something like an old dresser so you can store extra fleece and other items. I like to use a thick crib pad on the bottom and crib bumpers around the outside to help prevent the food from being scattered. You can make some or thrift stores are a great source to find them cheap. I also pick up fleece pajamas and blankets to make sleeping bags, hammocks and other cage items there since it's usually cheaper than the fabric store. Keep in mind they can be messy eaters and some even like to grab the cage bars and pee towards the outside of the cage so if it is up against a wall you will need to protect the wall. A clear shower curtain liner works great for this.

As to the formula my 1 year olds still get formula every night in a dish.

Forgot to add that many will use a litter pan which will make cleaning easier. A square metal cake pan works great for that. Big cages are great but if you are able to allow a lot of "out of cage" time in a flyer proofed room then you can go smaller. I have a large bird cage for mine that is about 4' x 4' x 2' that is up on a stand so it's about 6' tall.

Ohh Rocky goes in for a wellness check this morning!!!!!!!

We are leaving in four weeks for a cruise and I want to make sure our vet has been introduced to him and let him(our vet) know who will care for him(and all the other critters here) in our absence.

Also Rocky has started to sip formula out of a small container. So I think I will continue to encourage this.

He is growing!!!!

I am happy to announce we have a healthy rambunctious 21 gram baby boy!!!!! Our vet thinks he is about 35 to 37 days old and is about 15 grams under weight. He wants me to start him on vegetables as well as the formula he is on now. He was a little shocked when I told him almost a week ago Rocky only weighed 12 grams! lol But over all he is healthy so we continue with the status quo!!

now to design his permanent home!!

Rocky has officially doubled his weight!!! He is growing so fast..

Today the HHB for flying squirrels came in and Rocky had his first taste of real food. He actually did quite well.

I am still feeding him every three hours I will probably stay here until he is a normal weight and then move to every four.

and OMG I swear one day he was this cute cuddle bug, sleep and eat baby and the next day this rambunctious squirrel!!! HE is exploring his cage and He is starting to jump on me and he gets in my hair

Ya I love him LOL

New pics to come soon!!!!

Seems like somewhere at the beginning of this thread I remember, "He is NOT a pet. He will be released."

Yep, the little stinker gotcha, didn't he.
    Hey, I get it. I have three.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast