Thread: 8 week old wants almost nothing but formula!

k9runner Guest

Default 8 week old wants almost nothing but formula!

Earl is now 8 weeks old and weights 187 grams. He has had a loose bowel movement for about the last day and a half. I give him the Zupreem primate dry and the Mazuri rodent blocks that I got from Chris's squirrels and More, when I ordered the "miracle nipple", but he doesn't really go after them like I thought he would. I have tried him on sweet potato and carrots. He did not like the potoato but did chew on the baby carrot. It is after this that he got the diarrhea. He has around 8 1/2 cc of Esbilac formula, with heavy cream added, at 5am, 9am, 1pm, 5pm and 9pm and he sucks the bottom out of the syringe! But then I give him the blocks and he doesn't want it. I'm afraid to up his formula because of the diarrhea, as of last night it is a little better but still soft. When I ordered the blocks and nipples I sent pictures to Chris and she said he looked a little thin but not bad. She said to mix the formula up as 1 part powder, 1 1/2 part water and 1/8 part cream instead of the directions on the can of formula. Do I need to stick with this mix or change it to what the can says now that he is older??? He also does NOT like his water! He doesn't want it in a bowl or in the syringe! Any help with getting him on the right track would be greatly appreciated.

Default Re: 8 week old wants almost nothing but formula!

8 wks old is fine to still be on formula. I find that very often my 8-9 weekers will up their intake of formula to some ridiculous number like 21-24cc's, then a few days later drop down to half of that and begin to wean themselves. Don't bother with carrots -- they are nothing but sugar and fibre and will give all mammals diarrhea/gas. (My BF's sis used to give her Lhasa Apso carrots as treats instead of dog biscuits; that pooch could clear a room.....) Good veggies are broccoli, cauliflower, kale, chickory, sugar snap peas in the pod.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

k9runner Guest

Thanks for the advice! So even with the diarrhea I need to go ahead and up his formula to the 5-7% of his weight? And keep the formula mix the same?

You may try reducing the number of feeds. And then increasing the cc's at he same time like IR said.

At 5 times seems like alot to me.. But i have been so crZy i have forgotten what schedule for an 8 week er is. It may be that he never gets hungry enough to look at the blocks

Maybe 6% of Body weight 3 or 4 times a day.

And ditto to IR on the carrots. Its probably the carrots . Lots of sugar.
    Stephanie Carlson

St. Melangell Small Mammal Sanctuary
    ODNR Permitted Cat 2 Rehabilatator
    https://www.facebook.com/StMelangellSmallMammal/

5 times a day for an 8-wk old is WAAAAY too often. (Didn't see that the first time....)
    My 8 weekers are taking formula 3x daily and sometimes are not interested in the late-night feeding. Overfeeding can result in diarrhea as well -- but I still think it was the carrots.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

k9runner Guest

Starting in the morning I will change him to a 5am, 1pm and 9pm feeding... Will that work? And will go up to 6% of his body weight. I will be in town tomorrow and will get him some better veggies. Thanks for all the help.

Sounds like a good plan.
    Stephanie Carlson

Not a bad plan... but I would not drop him soooooo suddenly from 5x per day to 3x per day. I think he will be pretty hungry and frantic for nippie with such a sudden drop in feedings. Even if you do increase to 6% I would go to 4 x a day for 5-7 days then drop to 3 x per day for another 6-8 days. This will give him a better transition to block. I would not offer anything but block to him until he eats block well and then offer other veggies and other foods. If he eats other foods first he will not eat block. Getting him started for a few weeks on block will ensure against a picky eater and MBD. No nuts until he eats block regularly or he will never eat block. He will begin to explore the water as he eats block so be sure to offer lots of fresh water in a water bottle or a dish.

Which formula is it? I have not heard of mixing it that thick . I part formula to one an 1/2 water??
    Stephanie Carlson

Heres an idea of a healthy diet, except the puppy food. The rodent blocks and zupreem is perfect, it is ok that all he wants is his milk still. When mine were that age i crushed their blocks nd mix it in with yogurt and they liked it tht way
    Attached Images Attached Images  

k9runner Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Mommaluvy View Post
    Which formula is it? I have not heard of mixing it that thick . I part formula to one an 1/2 water??
    It is the Esbilac, when I talked with Chris at Chris's Squirrels and More this is the mix she said to use instead of the mix on the can. Do I need to change it to a thinner mix?

Sabrina7 Guest

I have about a 9 week old that will not eat anything but formula. He was shredding a Henry's Block but now he has stopped that. He doesn't want anything other than his Fox Valley Formula. Any suggestions? I continue to put the blocks in there but he will not touch them. He is very healthy and very happy runs around and his coat is shiny and nice bushy tail but I worry he will not do well if he doesn't start eating his blocks. Thanks in advance for the help.

I would call her back. THat seems odd.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.