Thread: feeding and bedding questions

Default feeding and bedding questions

I have been having problems with baby squirrels this year and have read several different posts on this forum regarding different formulas.

Is Pro-Biolac ok to feed?

I have young juveniles (guessing 9-15 weeks) and was told they should still be on formula. (I'm a newbie and have made tons of mistakes already but with the help of Squirrel board I would like to become a better rehabber and releaser)

What is MILK BURN?

Yes please, pictures would be best....

Ok so I am going to try the formula again for all 4 squirrels. Who are eating by themselves but apparently I have not been feeding them correctly.

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...highlight=JS10

Stubby still loves me so we'll start with him. I have the little 1 cc syringes but no rubber ends. I guess I will have to order them???? Advice???? Pictures of your syringes please....

I have the pro-biolac. My vet said 1 part formula to 2 parts water.

Is that it? And we just warm it up and feed it to them???

I will start tomorrow morning and when my new cage arrives I will put all 4 squirrels together and start feeding ONLY The rodent blocks I ordered and some veggies and a small amount of fruit and nuts for treats.

Sound good?

One more question. Pictures or advice for safe bedding. Just any fleece blankets????

Oh please help - advice and criticisms welcome, I am planning on making a life out of trying to save all of God's innocent creatures - one at a time.

I've done the pets, rescuing and fostering, dogs, cats, reptiles, etc. But the wild also need saving so keep the advice coming...

Default Re: feeding and bedding questions

Welcome. I'm sure you'll come to love him over the winter.

Yes, dehydration can cause bathroom problems. Keep the hydration coming.

The following is what we recommend for formula. Esbilac puppy powder with probiotics. It's available in many pet stores:

Name:  esbilac-155.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  179.0 KB

Here is proper feeding technique - head pointed down, 1cc syringe pointed up:

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...DING-TECHNIQUE

Feed 5-7% of body weight. You will need a scale. They're invaluable to tell how much to feed, how progress is going, and to dose drugs if need be. They like it very warm. A sq's body temp is 102F.

They really like fleece, flannel, and t-shirt bedding.

Pics of him and his cage would be great.

Milk burn is skin irritation and hair loss caused by formula not being cleaned away after feeding. Unscented baby wipes work great.

You can get syringes and nipples here:

http://www.henryspets.com/syringes-and-nipples/

The Miracle Nipple is awesome. They have flat shipping so you may want to also get some blocks for later and stick them in the freezer:

http://www.henryspets.com/hi-protein-blocks/

Pro-Biolac is for kittens and therefore I believe as with other kitten formula, is too high in protein. Please get the puppy formula that Farrelli posted here. Do this now or you are going to have issues that may become serious very quickly.
    As for bedding, fleece is what we recommend. Cut up blankets or use fleece shirts or I buy fleece by the yard at a craft store. You will need to feed rodent blocks before you give veggies and fruits so that they are accustomed to them before other things. They are the way to get good nutrition into them, We recommend the blocks from henryspets.com as the most nutritionally sound food to start with. Thank-you for helping these little ones! and to TSB!
    Squirrels, squirrels and more squirrels....
    Prayers for the people who make this a better world...
    savesquirrels@sbcglobal.net

you have come to the right place. Lots of great info here. Read, read, read and keep asking questions.
    SammysMom is right, you want to start out with the right formula, or you will have all kinds of problems with their tummies, and you don't want that. After they become adjusted to the Esbliac, you will slowly start adding heavy whipping cream. Not the stuff in the can. It is in a little carton by the half and half. It will bring the fat content up to what is required by squirrels. But make all formula changes SLOWLY, so they have time to adjust.

Good luck!