Thread: Don't Raise A Rescue Squirrel if you can't be dedicated

Annep Guest

Default Don't Raise A Rescue Squirrel if you can't be dedicated

Hi Person Who Found a Squirrel,
    I just lost my dearest little squirrel Tumbles to my own neglect. I, like you, thought I could raise a squirrel. I was afraid that because we found him with an injury (a problem walking that never cleared up and oddly, he rarely vocalized through his life) that he would be euthanized, so instead we kept him. More than that, it was instant love with him and I never wanted to let him go. I ADORED him. Well, I did really good getting through babyhood but then when he was older (we found him in spring as a baby about 5/6 weeks old and he died this past Sunday in my arms), I traveled more and although my three kids and husband were great with him, they still didn't let him out to play as much as me, nor were they as perceptive to his needs. I got back from yet another three day trip on Saturday, and he died Sunday night. I knew that something wasn't right for about a week...his sleeping more, he was less active...but he had been known to do that when I hadn't been around for a couple days. I had two trips within a week period and then he died. I suspect I gave him MBD because I hadn't reordered his Henry's blocks, thinking that the nuts and leafy greens were fine, so he went for nearly two months without any. In that time period I think he developed the MBD. Although my friends and husband all try to convince me that he didn't appear to have it, I still think that is what it was. In the end, trying to give him liquid calcium didn't help and he died within hours of getting his first calcium dose. My point is this...to all considering keeping a pet squirrel:

DO NOT KEEP IT! IF SQUIRREL IS UNRELEASABLE, LET A QUALIFIED PERSON TAKE CARE OF HIM/HER!!! YOU REALLY JUST DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING AND WILL END UP KILLING THE POOR CREATURE!

For all of you here on the board who already knew this, I can't even ask for forgiveness because I will never forgive myself. I have to live in my own personal hell now and you can, should, curse my name often. I really hate myself for this and you should all too. There is something just very very special about squirrels and they don't deserve some fly by night idiot raising them.

lilidukes Guest

Default Re: Don't Raise A Rescue Squirrel if you can't be dedicated

Annep

I would like to think that each death has some meaning.

That fact that you are sharing this with others will perhaps save
    another squirrels life.

Quote Originally Posted by Annep View Post
    Hi Person Who Found a Squirrel,
    I just lost my dearest little squirrel Tumbles to my own neglect. I, like you, thought I could raise a squirrel. I was afraid that because we found him with an injury (a problem walking that never cleared up and oddly, he rarely vocalized through his life) that he would be euthanized, so instead we kept him. More than that, it was instant love with him and I never wanted to let him go. I ADORED him. Well, I did really good getting through babyhood but then when he was older (we found him in spring as a baby about 5/6 weeks old and he died this past Sunday in my arms), I traveled more and although my three kids and husband were great with him, they still didn't let him out to play as much as me, nor were they as perceptive to his needs. I got back from yet another three day trip on Saturday, and he died Sunday night. I knew that something wasn't right for about a week...his sleeping more, he was less active...but he had been known to do that when I hadn't been around for a couple days. I had two trips within a week period and then he died. I suspect I gave him MBD because I hadn't reordered his Henry's blocks, thinking that the nuts and leafy greens were fine, so he went for nearly two months without any. In that time period I think he developed the MBD. Although my friends and husband all try to convince me that he didn't appear to have it, I still think that is what it was. In the end, trying to give him liquid calcium didn't help and he died within hours of getting his first calcium dose. My point is this...to all considering keeping a pet squirrel:

DO NOT KEEP IT! IF SQUIRREL IS UNRELEASABLE, LET A QUALIFIED PERSON TAKE CARE OF HIM/HER!!! YOU REALLY JUST DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING AND WILL END UP KILLING THE POOR CREATURE!

For all of you here on the board who already knew this, I can't even ask for forgiveness because I will never forgive myself. I have to live in my own personal hell now and you can, should, curse my name often. I really hate myself for this and you should all too. There is something just very very special about squirrels and they don't deserve some fly by night idiot raising them.
    Annep, I am sorry this happened to you and your squirrel. Raising a wild animal is a challenge even for people with expertise, time and plenty of resources, many people find this out too late. You have the insight to learn from your mistakes (many people don't) so maybe there will come a time when you can help out again with an orphaned wild animal. If that happens, you will already know about the incredible daily commitment that it takes to raise/help a wild animal. Someone said something along the lines of ""You become responsible forever, for what you have tamed".

I will not curse your name because I feel you have a good heart and meant well. I do grieve for your squirrel, they are precious beyond belief. Visit the TSB often, learn from the knowledge and expertise that can be found here. Perhaps there will be a day when you will be in a position to rescue a wild animal again, you will know what to do and what not to do. Not everyone here has a NR squirrel, some like myself just enjoy my wild yard friends and help to treat them when they get injured. Perhaps doing that will help to heal your heart.
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

My Dear Anne- Please do not beat yourself up over your precious Thumbles having crossed the bridge. You really did all you could for him and he was a happy squirrel. He loved you very much as you loved him. Being a nurse( retire RN) I know that some mobility problems are quite complex and can and do affect body organs, circulation. If not for your intervention he would have been euthanized and had no life at all. Instead he got to experience so much living and loving with you and your family. MBD has not occur in two months time. His lack of HHB's did not cause his death. Many squirrels have been rescued and lived many years way before HHB's were even thought about! It is nice to have a special food to give pet squirrels to help them from getting diet deficient diseases. Diet is so important, and one thing this board does is inform and push diet information to squirrel keepers.
    Irishharps just lost her beloved flying squirrel, Momo to perhaps a diet related problem. She did have a necropsy done and published the report/findings here for us all to see and learn. She was a great squirrel Mommy to Momo as you were to Tumbles.
    Hug your wonderful memories of your baby boy tight in your heart, know you did all you could for him. God, Nature, had other plans we can never understand!
    Anne
    Wildlife and Squirrel Rescue,Inc.
    Rescuing Fl squirrels since 1979
    Moderator: NFSA Emergency Care
    Wildlife Intake Coordinator and Rehab Consultant at "The Ark Wildlife Care and Sanctuary Inc"
    http://www.thearkwildlifecareandsanctuary.com/

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but learning to how to dance in the rain"

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it taken place."
    George Bernard Shaw

"Kindness is the language the blind can see and the deaf can hear." - Mark Twain

Although I can agree with not keeping one if you can't be dedicated but there were perhaps more issues with Thumbles than what you were able to see with your eyes. I agree MBD was probably not the cause so please don't beat yourself up. You gave Thumbles a loving home for his short time here and that is just the way it is sometimes. It's never easy losing one though, so sending your way.
    Squammy to: Jordyn & Parkyr -Southern Flyers

2016 Babies - Sweet Pea & Chance

Releases: Della & James, Oak, Ash & Maple, Schitzo,Shawty,Cricket,Chandy,Bonnie & Clyde,
    Screech, Fiona, Porgy & Bess

RIP: Itty Bitty, Rascal, Whisper

Passion4Trashin on eBay ~ Click the link below to find great deals!
    http://www.ebay.com/sch/passion4trashin/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=&rt=nc&_dmd=2
    or here https://www.facebook.com/pages/Passi...6044929?ref=hl
    If you have any questions or are searching for something please contact me via PM or
    passionfortrashin@gmail.com
    Per the new rule only sellers will be allowed to post in their thread in the "For Sale" Forum.

Annep Guest

I'm sorry I went on like that but people should understand how dedicated they need to be. I can deal with death but not when I am responsible for it... I loved him so much!!! I've been sobbing everyday now. At least I got to hold him when he left... He didn't know I was the one whose neglect killed him...he just knew that I loved him and he seemed to really love me too. It's like I had no chance help him... How the heck can he be climbing the cage, letting us know it's time to come out and play, to barely being able to move and death by the end of the day??? Why didn't that small dose of calcium I could get in him not work??? I wish I could at least know exactly what he had, what made him sick; if it was MBD Or something else. But it doesn't matter to know because I dismissed the small symptoms he had the previous couple weeks. I think he must have waited for me to get home before he left because every time I called home I asked how he was doing, did they feed him, did they take him out to play for a couple hours, did they cuddle him...and of course they did all that. They said he was doing great, then I get home and a day later he dies.

I appreciate ALL of you for helping me try to forgive myself. I feel like sacrificing myself on the board might help some other idiot make the decision to NOT keep an NR squirrel. Yes, I will gladly rescue a baby and help other baby squirrels again if needed, but I will never think I am good enough to raise such a special creature permanently. I had really hoped he would eventually walk better so he could go and live in nature with other squirrel friends... Squirrels are SO HAPPY running around, jumping, collecting... I do plan to put a bunch of squirrel feeders in my tree so I can watch them, befriend them, talk to them.

The kids, hubby and I buried him at our favorite state park near the nut trees so his body can return to its nature habitat. Hopefully his spirit will follow and be reborn again there. To live the life he should have had.

Quote Originally Posted by Annep View Post
    I'm sorry I went on like that but people should understand how dedicated they need to be. I can deal with death but not when I am responsible for it... I loved him so much!!! I've been sobbing everyday now. At least I got to hold him when he left... He didn't know I was the one whose neglect killed him...he just knew that I loved him and he seemed to really love me too. It's like I had no chance help him... How the heck can he be climbing the cage, letting us know it's time to come out and play, to barely being able to move and death by the end of the day??? Why didn't that small dose of calcium I could get in him not work??? I wish I could at least know exactly what he had, what made him sick; if it was MBD Or something else. But it doesn't matter to know because I dismissed the small symptoms he had the previous couple weeks. I think he must have waited for me to get home before he left because every time I called home I asked how he was doing, did they feed him, did they take him out to play for a couple hours, did they cuddle him...and of course they did all that. They said he was doing great, then I get home and a day later he dies.

I appreciate ALL of you for helping me try to forgive myself. I feel like sacrificing myself on the board might help some other idiot make the decision to NOT keep an NR squirrel. Yes, I will gladly rescue a baby and help other baby squirrels again if needed, but I will never think I am good enough to raise such a special creature permanently. I had really hoped he would eventually walk better so he could go and live in nature with other squirrel friends... Squirrels are SO HAPPY running around, jumping, collecting... I do plan to put a bunch of squirrel feeders in my tree so I can watch them, befriend them, talk to them.

The kids, hubby and I buried him at our favorite state park near the nut trees so his body can return to its nature habitat. Hopefully his spirit will follow and be reborn again there. To live the life he should have had.

Lots of things can take a squirrel away, it may not have been MBD. He could have eaten something that went bad, or had some type of illness, could have had a fall that caused internal bleeding, chewed an electrical cord etc etc etc. I am glad he had his hoomin mom with him when he passed. He will be waiting at the bridge for you.

See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

I agree with Anne and ALNutty.

You say he had problems when you found him - I think that is where to look for the death.

Even experienced rehabbers lose squirrels.

Run free little ones. I thank you for giving this one life.

And maybe .. You could get training and become a Rehabber Honor your little one by helping others
    Stephanie Carlson

St. Melangell Small Mammal Sanctuary
    ODNR Permitted Cat 2 Rehabilatator
    https://www.facebook.com/StMelangellSmallMammal/

Annep Guest

I'm going to look into rehabbing. I am also going to make my tree and yard a sanctuary for squirrels. They are the most amazing and loving creatures anyone could ever meet! I would like to give help to other squirrels in need. Thank you ALL for what you do and the love you give these extremely precious creatures. Peace and love to you all.
    Anne

quagmire Guest

AnneP-

Please use your experience as a learning experience. Yes, it is hard to lose a baby and I have lost a few. I hated losing each one and it really hurts not knowing if something you did or didn't do was the cause. However, some chance for these babies is better than no chance at all. I'm not a rehabber, more of first aid or EMS for baby or injured squirrels. I get them, stabilize, rehydrate and then get them to the experienced folks. If that is the extent you can help these babies with, know your limitations and ask for help. There are PLENTY of folks here that will help, as they have done for me plenty of times. I really like being able to help these fur-babies (even though sometimes I get bit). So don't give up.

Jeff and Sharon

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.