Thread: odor question

Default odor question

I have 3 baby flyers, about 8 to 9 weeks old. What type of cage bedding can I use to help eliminate odor. I am presently using pine bedding. I place a piece of flannel in the cage that they use about 50% of the time and I change that daily. I am cleaning the cage every 2 to 3 days but the order, I assume from urine, is back in a day. I really need to solve this if I am going to keep them inside.

Default Re: odor question

Carefresh bedding is recommended. You might try placing a small ceramic or metal, square cake pan with bedding in it for them to use as a litter box. Generally flyers like to use one area. Many of them also hang on the bars to pee so wiping down the bars in the corner they use may help.
    Squammy to: Jordyn & Parkyr -Southern Flyers

2016 Babies - Sweet Pea & Chance

Releases: Della & James, Oak, Ash & Maple, Schitzo,Shawty,Cricket,Chandy,Bonnie & Clyde,
    Screech, Fiona, Porgy & Bess

RIP: Itty Bitty, Rascal, Whisper

Passion4Trashin on eBay ~ Click the link below to find great deals!
    http://www.ebay.com/sch/passion4trashin/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=&rt=nc&_dmd=2
    or here https://www.facebook.com/pages/Passi...6044929?ref=hl
    If you have any questions or are searching for something please contact me via PM or
    passionfortrashin@gmail.com
    Per the new rule only sellers will be allowed to post in their thread in the "For Sale" Forum.

sid'smommy Guest

I have the same problem... Ive tried everything...ugh, little stinkers!

Quote Originally Posted by sid'smommy View Post
    I have the same problem... Ive tried everything...ugh, little stinkers!
    When it comes to flyers I don't even smell mine but when I had sugar gliders, WHEW!!! Those are some stinky critters. I had to wipe down 3 sides of cage and change bedding daily. I couldn't do all four sides at once or they went into overdrive "re-scenting" their cage using their scent glands. I also had to place two of those Super Odor Absorber gel jars near their cage just to keep things tolerable.

Releases: Della & James, Oak, Ash & Maple, Schitzo,Shawty,Cricket,Chandy,Bonnie & Clyde,

http://www.ebay.com/sch/passion4trashin/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=&rt=nc&_dmd=2
    If you have any questions or are searching for something please contact me via PM or
    Per the new rule only sellers will be allowed to post in their thread in the "For Sale" Forum.

sid'smommy Guest

Mine smelled as sweet as a newborn baby until they got out of the tote and into a big cage.... They are in a big open living room, and the whole room smells like the waiting room at a urologists office ...

I use fleece and fleece pieces...... they get washed once a week and all is well.

sid'smommy Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Rhapsody View Post
    I use fleece and fleece pieces...... they get washed once a week and all is well.
    I change out everything every 2-3 days (and 3 days is pushing it) .... 10 minutes later- wham! Hoping they outgrow this behavior

I had no idea how much of an odor sugar gliders had until I bought a cage off of a person who had two of them - obviously they did not clean the cage very well and I thought I was never going to get that odor out!! I scrubbed it with the nature's miracle cage cleaner and then steam cleaned the entire thing and the odor was still there!
    So I got online and found a sugar glider forum they recommended this stuff that you spray on and it is all natural - you don't even have to wipe it off you can just let it air dry. Anyhow we used it on the cage last night and the odor is finally gone!!

Here is what I used -
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  113.7 KB
    Life is not measured by the breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

"Don't cry because it's over - smile because it happened." Dr. Seuss

Quote Originally Posted by lennysmom View Post
    I had no idea how much of an odor sugar gliders had until I bought a cage off of a person who had two of them - obviously they did not clean the cage very well and I thought I was never going to get that odor out!! I scrubbed it with the nature's miracle cage cleaner and then steam cleaned the entire thing and the odor was still there!
    So I got online and found a sugar glider forum they recommended this stuff that you spray on and it is all natural - you don't even have to wipe it off you can just let it air dry. Anyhow we used it on the cage last night and the odor is finally gone!!

Here is what I used -
    That would have been very handy when I owned sugar gliders. Adding it to my notebook right now.

sid'smommy Guest

^^^^^buying a case^^^^^

Quote Originally Posted by lennysmom View Post

Here is what I used -
    Where did you get it? A quick search online turned up Amazon, no actual retailers. I'd like to know if ordering is the only option, or if picking up in store is a possibility. Thanks!
    First time squirrel mom of 4:
    Wally, Harvey, Timmy & Darla (2014)
    Anticipated release: Spring 2015

Nevermind. Found their website .. they offer a search for retailers who carry it. 170 locations in Ontario, Canada! Fantastic!
    First time squirrel mom of 4:
    Wally, Harvey, Timmy & Darla (2014)
    Anticipated release: Spring 2015

Quote Originally Posted by krysgrandmond View Post
    Nevermind. Found their website .. they offer a search for retailers who carry it. 170 locations in Ontario, Canada! Fantastic!
    Oh good. Yep, I bought mine off Amazon.
    Life is not measured by the breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

"Don't cry because it's over - smile because it happened." Dr. Seuss