Thread: Trees, branches, and nuts- ?'s about Wild Foods for my Squirrel

Default Trees, branches, and nuts- ?'s about Wild Foods for my Squirrel

Hi Guys and Gals!!

So I have hundreds of different trees in my front and back yard (one of the great things about living in the south )

And one of the trees that I have are walnut trees - Can I give Chippers a fresh walnut as a treat now and then and if so do I give them to her whole (after i take the soft outer shell off)

Also, the oak trees in my yard have acorns on them, this means I should NOT give her these branches, correct?

And are "christmas trees' safe branches for squees to have? I have the list for Pet squirrels but it doesnt say anything about christmas tress unless i am overlooking it which is very possible lol

Thanks!!!

Default Re: Trees, branches, and nuts- ?'s about Wild Foods for my Squirrel

Walnuts will be appreciated. The hulls have a dark brown dye in them and will make an almighty mess - your squirrel won't mind but you might! May be easier to strip those off.

The problem with acorns are in the storage of them The fresh nuts still stuck to the branches are ok. We just don't have a reliable way to keep them fresh once they are off.

Some evergreens are okay and some are not. You need to determine each breed and google to see if they have any toxic properties.