Thread: Henry's blocks

Default Henry's blocks

I ordered some Henry's blocks for flyers and baby gray squirrels. They arrived in the mail today and were warm/room temperature. The bag says refrigerate or freeze immediately. I put them in the freezer as soon as they arrived but they were already warmed. Are they still good to feed to my baby gray squirrel?

Default Re: Henry's blocks

They'll be fine...
    I've never had a problem and they are always
    warm coming through the mail.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

Awesome. Thank you!

Yes, they are sill good. It is best to freeze what you are not using
    and only take out and place in the frig what you need for the week.

They are made without any preservatives which is good for the squirrels but of course shortens their shelf life, so we freeze them to keep them fresh. I keep mine frozen and keep a few day's worth in a container in the fridge.

Okay. I will take out what she needs for a few days and keep the rest frozen. Thank you guys!!!
    And so far, she loves them

I soak the Henry blocks in a bit of warm water once I take it out of the refrigerator before I feed it to Sir Didymus.

Received our first batch of HHB's today after hearing how great they are from the TSB after joining last week .... Roxy loved them!
    Questions I have: she was receiving Teklad blocks, do i continue to leave her Teklad blocks in the cage so she can eat at will?..she immediately eats her HHB's but not the Teklad.
    Also, should i feed both HHB blocks at the same time?

Thanks in advance!
    It's Roxy's World...I just live in it

Quote Originally Posted by roxy View Post
    Received our first batch of HHB's today after hearing how great they are from the TSB after joining last week .... Roxy loved them!
    Questions I have: she was receiving Teklad blocks, do i continue to leave her Teklad blocks in the cage so she can eat at will?..she immediately eats her HHB's but not the Teklad.

Thanks in advance!
    I feed my boy his HHBs in the morning and he always has Harlan Teklad in his cage - I make sure there are always 4 or 5 in there for him. He does eat on them; I think he likes them because they are hard. Feed the same - do it any way you need to do to get him to eat as much of the HHB as possible. If he will plow through two of them first thing, then that is just fine - if it takes all day to eat them, also fine.

Quote Originally Posted by CritterMom View Post
    I feed my boy his HHBs in the morning and he always has Harlan Teklad in his cage - I make sure there are always 4 or 5 in there for him. He does eat on them; I think he likes them because they are hard. Feed the same - do it any way you need to do to get him to eat as much of the HHB as possible. If he will plow through two of them first thing, then that is just fine - if it takes all day to eat them, also fine.
    Thanks for the info!
    It's Roxy's World...I just live in it

Quote Originally Posted by roxy View Post

Thanks in advance!
    If she stops eating the HHB's or begins just shredding them, I would decrease the Harlan. My guys only get their HHBS and then veggies. I was giving them access to other blocks but they would just shred the HHBs (and not eat enough veggie). Since she is eating them no problem I think you're good to free feed. Just keep an eye out to make sure she doesn't just shred them