Thread: Early stages of mange photos

Critter_Queen Guest

Default Early stages of mange photos

Here are some pics of Miranda a couple days after we got her. She'd already been treated with Ivermectin, so she was just beginning to lose the scabs around her eyes and ears.

You can see in the pics that her ears are kinda "folded" back...they are actually SO scabbed over from the mange that they are stuck to themselves and also to her head. (not anymore, we've gotten a LOT better the last few days...only about 40% of all her scabs remain, and most are on her body rather than her face now. )

The one pic is super blurry, sorry, but I wanted to show it because even through the blur you can see what her face looks like. How could you not automatically think "mange" when you look at this squirrel???

She's a ton better now. Eating great, gaining weight...she's a little trooper!
    Attached Images Attached Images   

TexanSquirrel Guest

Default Re: Early stages of mange photos

Poor baby. Glad she's in good hands now.

It is hard to tell by these photos but the crust and scabs should have been a dead give away.

Fellow rehabbers, I found that it works to give all babies coming in a dose of Ivomectin. I small dot on their back works great. I have had a few babies develop mange after a week or so. Meaning they had the early stages when I got them but didnt have any "crusties" to prove it. I do not give them to pinkies though or ones with little hair.

Halo

Critter_Queen Guest

Hi Halo,

Have you considered giving your single dose of Ivermectin orally at a standard dose by weight? It's a great wormer in addition to mange mite treatment. My vet and I discussed it this past Saturday and we are planning to make that part of the admission procedure that each critter gets.

Hi Halo,

Have you considered giving your single dose of Ivermectin orally at a standard dose by weight? It's a great wormer in addition to mange mite treatment. My vet and I discussed it this past Saturday and we are planning to make that part of the admission procedure that each critter gets.

Hi, My wildlife medical book say that u can either give it by injection, orally or topically with all the same result. I do believe my vet told me the same thing. So it sounds like either way is effective. I always liked it topically because its so much easier to apply. I guess it just depends on your preference.

Halo

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.