Thread: Advice for treatment please

Hybrid View

artsofeden Guest

Default Advice for treatment please

I have a wild squirrel that has been showing up at my feeders that is in serious shape. I know thru research that I can treat with Ivermectin but I am seeking some help.
    One he is wild...does not come close at all so how would one go about treating just him? I am rural on the edge of woods and ravines and have a multitude of squirrels and chipmunks that are here. How would I make sure he is being treated?
    Two-if more then one dose at a time is dangerous, how do I do this?
    Third-since his condition is so severe, I know he no doubt has secondary infection. Do I worry about that IF I do happen to treat him for the mange?
    Two days in a row now he has visited this swing by the pond around 8-8:30am
    Name:  DSC09309.JPG
Views: 198
Size:  143.7 KB

Default Re: Advice for treatment please

Is it mange? Could it be squirrel pox? Google it and look at the pics? If no boils, we can tell you how to easily treat him with Ivermectin.

Oh, this poor baby has pox.

You can help him by giving immune system boosters like echinacea, but to actually treat the pox you need acyclovir. The brand name is Valtrex. It is given to humans for chicken pox, for herpes, and is the treatment for shingles. If you can obtain some - and it is a prescription med, so it would have to be from someone you know perhaps, who has had shingles and may have some left over, we can help you break the dose down into squirrel size and explain how to administer (basically a mixture of ground nuts like pecans or something mixed with peanut butter to stick it together is pretty much a squirrel treat and works well to administer meds. They want to eat it ALL..)

I would also put echinacea in your outdoor water supply for the animals. 500mg per gallon of water will not change the taste and make them stop drinking.

If it is pox, it is HIGHLY contagious, so the course of treatment by CrM would be great to help all the others too.

artsofeden Guest

Oh my squirrel Pox changes everything. I do not have access to that drug and cant put echinacea in my pond which is their water source. Looking at the images online, I do see similarities although dont see it as bumps to that degree. I first noticed him in the feeder outside my studio window..perhaps 4 feet..just over a meter away from the window and he had what looked like more balding then bumps. My first view was of his hind end as he sat on the feeder and the top of legs looked swollen (like the folds of skin on a dog with mange). I then noticed that his left eye(didnt get to see his right) looked swollen above and below but his eye was open. This was a number of weeks ago now....He wasnt showing up on a regular basis but both yesturday and today he showed up on this swing and stretched out on the top of it. I am assuming for the heat from the sun. He is moving more slowly then a healthy squirrel does and in fact yesturday I was within a short distance of him and he didnt attempt to scurry. A short while later, my one dog also came to the location and he didnt move away from her either.
    He/she appeared again this morning around the same time on the same chair and stretched out the same way as yesturday before going to the pond to drink and then ventured to one of the feeders then back to the chair. Thats when I grabbed the camera to get an image to share here..
    What should my course of action be?

Try calling around to friends and family, to see if anyone has had shingles, and has a pill left over. All you will need is one pill, for a full course of treatment. There also is an immune booster that can be given in water, that seems to be quite effective. Maybe someone could post that link, please?

If you can order the immune booster, you can put a bowl of water out with the med in it, and scatter nuts on the ground around it, to try to lure the squirrels to drink. Pox is highly contagious.

Still unsure? A higher res photo would help.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.