Thread: Foods to avoid:

cleo Guest

Default Foods to avoid:

I just read the sticky "Healthy Diet for Pet Squirrels". It states that certain foods such as bell peppers, eggplant, and white potato should not be fed to squirrels. Why is this?

Default Re: Foods to avoid:

Wasn't aware Bell pepper was listed not to feed.
    Eggplant is a member of the nightshade family and I know of several squirrels that became very ill eating it. I think one squirrel death was attributed to it also, not sure.
    White potato is just starch, starch is sugar. don't know more than that. Haven't looked into the list from PJbluejay (?) on ratios, maybe more information there on these foods.
    Anne
    Wildlife and Squirrel Rescue,Inc.
    Rescuing Fl squirrels since 1979
    Moderator: NFSA Emergency Care
    Wildlife Intake Coordinator and Rehab Consultant at "The Ark Wildlife Care and Sanctuary Inc"
    http://www.thearkwildlifecareandsanctuary.com/

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but learning to how to dance in the rain"

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it taken place."
    George Bernard Shaw

"Kindness is the language the blind can see and the deaf can hear." - Mark Twain

Default Re: Foods to avoid:

Awhile back, a couple of squirrels got really sick and one even died - it was finally decided that it was the bell peppers that was the culprit. I think they can be apt to grow mold inside and so for that reason, it was decided to put them on the do not feed list.
    Life is not measured by the breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

"Don't cry because it's over - smile because it happened." Dr. Seuss

Members who have read this thread: 1