Thread: Hello! Brand new mom of two!

Default Hello! Brand new mom of two!

Hi!
    On Saturday a tree fell over in our yard, thankfully I was outside to see it as I went over and noticed tails peeping through the mess!!
    I stayed by a window for almost three hours watching and waiting to see if mom would come get them. As I did I was reading and reading on this site and a few others. I knew they couldn't stay out too long cause they would get cold so finally I decided it was best to bring them in.
    I went and bought the puppy replacement powder, got a few syringes from the drug store... And cut up some flannel and fleece from old blankets for bedding.
    There are two of them a boy and a girl, furry... Eyes closed.
    I did a few feedings of pedialyte and thankfully they weren't dehydrated so I went ahead and moved onto formula.
    They both didn't pee or poop for most of the first day, I had been concerned but kept stimulating after every feeding.
    I was so happy when one finally peed!!
    Lol
    Both are peeping and pooping regularly now.

Currently they are in a box with all the cut up fluff with a heating pad that stays on under the box, (towel in between the pad and the box) they seem warm to the touch so I'm guessing the temp is good. The box is in this room in my house that isn't used for anything... I guess maybe it was supposed to be a walk in pantry or laundry but we don't use it for anything. Great cause it's instantly baby proofed, not electronics, nothing to chew or knock over. Perfect.

I was wondering if they are eating too much...
    I'm currently mixing 3tbs powder, 6tbs water, and 1/2tbs full fat plain yogurt.
    They eat about 4-5ccs per feeding and I'm feeding them every 2-3hrs.

Also, can anyone recommend a cage that they can stay in until release?

Oh... And I have ordered the other formula mentioned on here that's specifically for them. And a couple of those miracle nipples as well

Annnnnnnd. My friends and family are bugging me about why I'm raising them and why not call wildlife center or a rescue. But I did email wildlife care and they gave me general instructions to care for them. I just keep telling them that I informed the wildlife center and that I'm raising them. But it does make me question my choice a bit.
    Ya know, did I do the right thing or should I hand them over? :-/ ugh.

I'm going to pull out my food scale and weigh them later on, start writing it down so I can make sure they gain..

Sorry... Kinda all over the place with this post.

Anyways. So far their names are Diamond, and Jeffery and we love them!
    Hope I attached pics correctly...

Thanks in advance,
    Rachael
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by Olivoil96; 08-26-2014 at 07:40 AM. Reason: Typos. Geez.

lovesmice Guest

Default Re: Hello! Brand new mom of two!

Your Diamond and Jeffery are precious! Thank you for saving them. There is a "Baby Squirrel Qs" category you might want to post this in to get more traffic. Sorry I cannot help. My squirrels are just visitors and the only ones I have sorta helped were injured adults. All the best to you and them.

Haha-just saw your reason for editing. I do not think there is one post of mine on here that I did NOT have to go back and edit due to typos.

Quote Originally Posted by Olivoil96 View Post
    Hi!
    On Saturday a tree fell over in our yard, thankfully I was outside to see it as I went over and noticed tails peeping through the mess!!
    I stayed by a window for almost three hours watching and waiting to see if mom would come get them. As I did I was reading and reading on this site and a few others. I knew they couldn't stay out too long cause they would get cold so finally I decided it was best to bring them in.
    I went and bought the puppy replacement powder, got a few syringes from the drug store... And cut up some flannel and fleece from old blankets for bedding.
    There are two of them a boy and a girl, furry... Eyes closed.
    I did a few feedings of pedialyte and thankfully they weren't dehydrated so I went ahead and moved onto formula.
    They both didn't pee or poop for most of the first day, I had been concerned but kept stimulating after every feeding.
    I was so happy when one finally peed!!
    Lol
    Both are peeping and pooping regularly now.

Currently they are in a box with all the cut up fluff with a heating pad that stays on under the box, (towel in between the pad and the box) they seem warm to the touch so I'm guessing the temp is good. The box is in this room in my house that isn't used for anything... I guess maybe it was supposed to be a walk in pantry or laundry but we don't use it for anything. Great cause it's instantly baby proofed, not electronics, nothing to chew or knock over. Perfect.

I was wondering if they are eating too much...
    I'm currently mixing 3tbs powder, 6tbs water, and 1/2tbs full fat plain yogurt.
    They eat about 4-5ccs per feeding and I'm feeding them every 2-3hrs.

Also, can anyone recommend a cage that they can stay in until release?

Oh... And I have ordered the other formula mentioned on here that's specifically for them. And a couple of those miracle nipples as well

Annnnnnnd. My friends and family are bugging me about why I'm raising them and why not call wildlife center or a rescue. But I did email wildlife care and they gave me general instructions to care for them. I just keep telling them that I informed the wildlife center and that I'm raising them. But it does make me question my choice a bit.
    Ya know, did I do the right thing or should I hand them over? :-/ ugh.

I'm going to pull out my food scale and weigh them later on, start writing it down so I can make sure they gain..

Sorry... Kinda all over the place with this post.

Anyways. So far their names are Diamond, and Jeffery and we love them!
    Hope I attached pics correctly...

Thanks in advance,
    Rachael
    Sounds like you are off to a great start with these little cuties! Yes, please weigh them so you can determine if you are feeding the right amounts. It's 5-7% of body weight at each feeding. At this age feed every 3 hours and 6-8 feedings per day. Just watch the milk line and as long as they don't bloat you are doing great, belly should feel like a squishy water balloon, not tight. Watch the poops. Golden nuggets perfect, toothpaste or runnier means overfeeding. You may want to continue to feed the same amount but extend the time in between feedings.

If they are in cardboard they need to be in a plastic container. At this age I would go ahead and put them in a deep tote at least 15-18 inches should be good. Their eyes will be opening soon and they will start trying to climb out.

The cage on Henry's Healthy Pets is good or you may find a large bird cage on Craigslist or other classified sites. Maybe a friend might have one you can borrow for a while. Horizontal bars are better than vertical for them to climb on.

You can also add some heavy whipping cream to their formula. Start out with 1/4 teaspoon for a couple of feedings, then go up to 1/2 and then 1 teaspoon. For a one cup batch of formula I use 1 tablespoon. So it would be 1/3 cup powder, 2/3 cup water (I add a couple of extra tablespoons) and 1 Tablespoon heavy whipping cream. You can keep adding the yogurt as well. Since you are ordering the FV formula most are using that and the Esbilac mixed 50/50.

Keep up with the great work and for coming to their rescue! Oh, and lucky you to have a squirrel proof room to use. Wish I did, lol!
    Squammy to: Jordyn & Parkyr -Southern Flyers

2016 Babies - Sweet Pea & Chance

Releases: Della & James, Oak, Ash & Maple, Schitzo,Shawty,Cricket,Chandy,Bonnie & Clyde,
    Screech, Fiona, Porgy & Bess

RIP: Itty Bitty, Rascal, Whisper

Passion4Trashin on eBay ~ Click the link below to find great deals!
    http://www.ebay.com/sch/passion4trashin/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=&rt=nc&_dmd=2
    or here https://www.facebook.com/pages/Passi...6044929?ref=hl
    If you have any questions or are searching for something please contact me via PM or
    passionfortrashin@gmail.com
    Per the new rule only sellers will be allowed to post in their thread in the "For Sale" Forum.

Great thank you so much!!!!

I will def keep posting, this site is fantastic!

You are most welcome. These little buggers can steal your fast.
    Squammy to: Jordyn & Parkyr -Southern Flyers

2016 Babies - Sweet Pea & Chance

Releases: Della & James, Oak, Ash & Maple, Schitzo,Shawty,Cricket,Chandy,Bonnie & Clyde,
    Screech, Fiona, Porgy & Bess

RIP: Itty Bitty, Rascal, Whisper

Passion4Trashin on eBay ~ Click the link below to find great deals!
    http://www.ebay.com/sch/passion4trashin/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=&rt=nc&_dmd=2
    or here https://www.facebook.com/pages/Passi...6044929?ref=hl
    If you have any questions or are searching for something please contact me via PM or
    passionfortrashin@gmail.com
    Per the new rule only sellers will be allowed to post in their thread in the "For Sale" Forum.

Sorry if I missed it, what kind of formula are they on and what did you order? Right now we generally recommend Esbilac puppy powder with probiotics.

Name:  esbilac-155.jpg
Views: 32
Size:  179.0 KB

You need a scale if you don;t have one. They should be fed 5-7% of body weight every 3-4 hours. For example, if one's 100g, he'd get 5-7ccs. You should also follow proper feeding technique - head pointed down, 1cc syringe pointed up:

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...DING-TECHNIQUE

Hello and Welcome to TSB........
    What part of Florida are you from? --I am here too.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhapsody View Post
    Hello and Welcome to TSB........
    What part of Florida are you from? --I am here too.
    I'm in Fort Lauderdale area