Thread: Penis is very hard (not being rude :))

Default Penis is very hard (not being rude :))

Has anyone ever seen a baby with a swollen hard penis? It is like a rock. He came in on Sunday and I noticed a scab on his penis, I soaked it a few times and it came off finally, but he is peeing, well at least I am sure he did this morning.

Here is a photo, anyone have advice or should I just call my vet?

https://www.icloud.com/photostream/#A4532ODWvA7bz

I can't lose another one

Thanks,

Kim

Default Re: Penis is very hard (not being rude :))

Orphan kittens suck on each other and can do real damage if it goes on for a long time. Is this one alone or with others? I have not seen this with squirrels but maybe someone else has. With my last litter of kittens, we had to separate out the main offender. I would gently clean the penis and then put a little antibiotic ointment or even Vaseline to keep it moist so that another scab does not form that will block the urine.

This is quite common with squirrels.
    I'm at the Drs. office, so can't really reply, but keep the scab OFF of the tip of the penis, so he can urinate.

Even if this little one is alone it can be a problem. I have one that sucks on his. There is a product called Yuk, which can deter them from sucking on their tender parts. Just make sure that a scab isn't blocking him, which may mean soaking in some warm water if one forms. Stroking beside the penis with a q-tip dipped in warm water may stimulate him to pee without irritating him further. Main thing is to get him going and on a regular basis otherwise he may get a UTI.
    Squammy to: Jordyn & Parkyr -Southern Flyers

2016 Babies - Sweet Pea & Chance

Releases: Della & James, Oak, Ash & Maple, Schitzo,Shawty,Cricket,Chandy,Bonnie & Clyde,
    Screech, Fiona, Porgy & Bess

RIP: Itty Bitty, Rascal, Whisper

Passion4Trashin on eBay ~ Click the link below to find great deals!
    http://www.ebay.com/sch/passion4trashin/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=&rt=nc&_dmd=2
    or here https://www.facebook.com/pages/Passi...6044929?ref=hl
    If you have any questions or are searching for something please contact me via PM or
    passionfortrashin@gmail.com
    Per the new rule only sellers will be allowed to post in their thread in the "For Sale" Forum.

If it's swollen, I've heard that putting powdered or granulated sugar on it can pull some of the water out. Makes sense since sugar is hygroscopic. However, you'd really have to make sure that he doesn't treat it like a candy cane.

Quote Originally Posted by farrelli View Post
    If it's swollen, I've heard that putting powdered or granulated sugar on it can pull some of the water out. Makes sense since sugar is hygroscopic. However, you'd really have to make sure that he doesn't treat it like a candy cane.
    I've never heard that one but who knows? I've seen some strange things work before. at the candy cane!

Releases: Della & James, Oak, Ash & Maple, Schitzo,Shawty,Cricket,Chandy,Bonnie & Clyde,

http://www.ebay.com/sch/passion4trashin/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=&rt=nc&_dmd=2
    If you have any questions or are searching for something please contact me via PM or
    Per the new rule only sellers will be allowed to post in their thread in the "For Sale" Forum.

Milo's Mom is offline Permitted Pennsylvania Wildlife Rehabilitator

Kim, would you be able to do some warm compresses for the next 12-24 hours. The white on the tip looks like pressure. In the center of the white on the tip is a bit of what looks like brown. Is that a bit of scab? I'm thinking maybe his urethra is swollen and making it more difficult for him to pee (creating the stiffness and bulge). Also, if you can put a bit of ointment on him to keep him from drying out it may also help to soften any bit of scab up inside. Personally I would use Vaseline, but I know others do not like using petroleum based things. I use them when needed because I feel they do a better job of keeping of keeping things from drying out.

If after warm compresses and ointment for 24 hours no change is noted, I'd start antibiotics or go to the vet.

Top-quality custom cage gear, accessories, blankets, & toys.
    Boutique items are fun, unique, and anything but ordinary.

TSB thread: Auntie MM's Custom Boutique Website: https://auntiemmscb.square.site/ Facebook: Auntie MM's Facebook Page

Oh, and obviously ice is good for swelling. If it is actually erect and not just swollen, ice can really put a damper on things.

If you use Yuk be sure it doesn't go on irritated skin. Got a little in a cut on my hand and it burned.

Quote Originally Posted by Chickenlegs View Post
    If you use Yuk be sure it doesn't go on irritated skin. Got a little in a cut on my hand and it burned.
    Good to know!

I don't like using petroleum based lubricants either and find organic coconut oil works for tons of things. Of course that might have a "candy cane" effect too.

Poor thing it looks painful!

kim, I have seen this before on a little boy who was getting mercilessly nursed on by his siblings. I ended up staying all night with him soaking it and actually -- GENTLY!- scratching that scab away until he could pee freely. At one point there was even scabbing inside the tiny opening, and when I pulled it away he spurted out like a racehorse. This is something that won't go away by itself....you'll have to work with him little by little. Poor sweetie!
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

Warm wet cottonball on the end will help to soften the scab if it is reforming. I have one who has this issue and the warm cottonball seemed to do the trick. Poor little bub...
    Squirrels, squirrels and more squirrels....
    Prayers for the people who make this a better world...
    savesquirrels@sbcglobal.net

Thanks everyone - Yes there are 5, 3 boys 2 girls and there is sucking going on. During the day 7 - 11pm I'm able to stop it, overnight not so much. But he came to me with this scab and somewhat enlarged penis, so do they suck each other in the wild too?

Anyway, since I've posted i've been putting warm and cold compresses on him. The scab is gone and the hardness is gone. He was peeing throughout all of this, if somewhat strained. I am debating on giving him Antibiotics, haven't done it yet. When he came to me, his fur was very rough and ooky. Now its much softer, not where it is all healthy, but way way better.

Hoping that the removal of the scab is the ticket. I'll keep you posted.

Thanks,

Kim

ConnieLF Guest

Red face Re: Penis is very hard (not being rude :))

Years ago I had two newborn squirrels that my mother and I raised until they were about two months old then took to a rehabber. One day we heard loud "screaming" coming from the squirrel's box and discovered one brother vigorously sucking his brother's penis (exact replica of mother's teats). We had to separate the two from then on to prevent this again. The squirrel had a swollen tender penis for a couple days but this resolved nicely and he urinated without problem. The other squirrel went on to suck his penis at bedtime by about the age of six weeks, until he fell asleep! Loud sucking sounds would come from his "bed" until he slept. Because of the fact that he was sucking on himself (like a child would suck a thumb), he did not injure himself and we let him continue knowing he would outgrow this (which he did).

I used the "tape" that sticks only to itself to make "kilts" for two of the three amigos as one was sucking on two of the three and causing damage.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Quote Originally Posted by SammysMom View Post
    I used the "tape" that sticks only to itself to make "kilts" for two of the three amigos as one was sucking on two of the three and causing damage.
    Love the kilts!!!

I made them quite snug so as to have them stay on, but because the tape has give to it, it was possible without hurting them.

Squirrels in little kilts. That made me laugh, and I needed to! In all seriousness though, I am praying for this wee one. Now stop that you naughty boy!
    My etsy store is empty at the moment, but if you have seen my pieces and have a request, just let me know!

Visit my Etsy store, ScarletSquirrel to see my handmade jewelry!
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/ScarletSquirrel

Little Squirrels, Little Squirrels,

Everywhere I turn I can see them...

Little Squirrels, Little Squirrels,
    Night and day I eat, sleep and breathe them...

Someday I'll land in the Nut House,
    With all the Nuts and the Squirrels...

Wait...too late.
    Welcome to the Nut House!

I had Buddy who had the siblings and self suckling. Unfortunately, he passed due to the scar tissue built up. It can leas to the bladder bursting. Being vigilant in keeping him from suckling or others, and get the scab off asap.
    Kilts, tapes, and if needed get a cone to put on the keep him from suckling. It is devastating and they go down hill fast if not taken care of completely.

Best of luck for your little guy.

I would clean up with antiseptic and iodone (they hate the smell) and silvadine cream/ointment for infection.