Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Does this photo make me look fat?

Default Re: Does this photo make me look fat?

Quote Originally Posted by Rodentia View Post
    Attachment 241017

This photo is so funny I just had to post it. Stella is not this fat, it is just an unflattering photo. Ok, she is a little fat. She weighs 552 grams. I am curious what other NR girls weigh. She is 1.5 years old.

I ordered the Henrys and checked the front porch several times a day anxiously awaiting their delivery. For some reason it did not occur to me to check the mailbox so they sat out in the 90 degree heat for several days because I never bothered to bring in the mail (who really wants to sift through all of that junk mail on a daily basis). I immediately put them in the freezer but I am too afraid to feed them in case they went bad. In the meantime, I bought more rodent block and will place another order of Henrys soon.

Before reading the nutrition posts here, I fed 80% of her diet as block and then gave a bit of fruit or vegetable every day. She gets 1/2 to 1 pecan a day as a reward for going into her Critter Nation at bedtime. She gets some sliced almonds in the morning to encourage her to get into her daytime very large cage on our screened in porch. She used to grab the nut and then shoot back out of the cage and make me late to work so now I put a pinch of sliced almonds in the cage. It takes her a lot longer to eat those.

My question is this, after they eat the blocks, do you give them as much food as they want (obviously more veg than fruit). Also, she is used to having her rodent block free choice so she starts chomping on them as soon she wakes up. I do enjoy sleeping in on the weekends and if she has to wait for me to get up to get the Henrys, she will not be happy. If I put the Henrys out at night so that she will be able to eat them when she wakes up, will they be crusty and unappetizing? The ones I have got crusty, but remember, mine were damaged. Some mornings I leave very early for work so if I feed her in the morning and need to wait for her to eat the Henrys, she wont have much time before I have to put her in the outside cage with all of the fresh foods. Also, if she is full, I risk her deciding to run around the porch instead of going into the other cage for the almonds.

The rodent block is so much easier but of course I want the best for my little girl. Most of you feed Henrys so I would appreciate any input on how you are all feeding.
    I wanted to say that any left over Henry blocks that gets hard and unapealing in both of my squirrel's cage, I remove them, and grind them up,then mix them with Avocado or whatever they, like into small balls for later. I keep them in the freezer. No need to waste the Blocks. I've even mixed left over blocks with peanut butter and Fox valley,plus Calcium powder. The ratio is usually 80% Left over Henry block to 20% whatever tasty treat.

Ethoxyquin is your poison in the Kaytee. It is a carcinogen. They also make their food with a ton of fillers and junk- just all around a bad food.

I feed HT and fed Oxbow in the past. With 3 rats, 4 mice, and a squirrel, I buy my HT in 50 pound bags. But buying it from the crafty rat is a great way to go also- I did that for years when I only had a couple of rats. I like the oxbow too but some animals will not take the oxbow as I guess it's not the tastiest thing out there.

Either food is a great choice- you can buy the Oxbow at pet shops and have to order HT online, but both are good. They are good rat and mouse foods also.

My male is 1.4 pounds and I don't think he's a year old yet.
    Owned by NR squirrel Timothy.

Finally got a new scale to weigh Abbi! I'd had small scales that involved sitting her in a cup/bowl and that worked well until a few months ago. I think the last time I weighed her she was something like 250g or something. Well, she's 6 months old and today she weighs 546g. BF likes to say she's a chunk, but I really believe she's just a 'healthy' size. No fat roles or anything like that...has a bit of a belly when she hunches over...but don't we all? lol

Name:  Stella has a double chin.jpg
Views: 107
Size:  257.2 KB

So now that she has fattened herself up for the winter, she has a double chin as she enjoys a sweet potato on Thanksgiving.

Name:  Stella on Thanksgiving.jpg
Views: 107
Size:  932.0 KB

I had to post a more attractive photo of her. Still enjoying sweet potato.

Sorry they are so big. I thought that I shrank them but it did not work.

Looks good!

Beautiful, healthy girl!!
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

lovesmice Guest

Aww...what a super adorable squirrel your Stella is. She looks so happy especially in that second shot.

They just don't get any cuter than your little girl! I thought she was adorable, in all of her glam shots. You go girl!

Oh how adorable! She looks healthy to me not fat. Missy always bulks up in the fall. My outdoor group does too. Here is our girl:
    Attached Images Attached Images  

LOL! She saw me posting and gave me this look, like "What? You think I'm fat?"
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Name:  IMG_0174_2_resized.JPG
Views: 72
Size:  297.8 KB. Your girl is so precious! I love them all! Her is my 7-year old Roxi. She is no lightweight! She is 1.86 pounds. I hope this is the right picture. It only shows a big question mark lol! If not I will post another one!

pluto 57 Guest

I wish I look that good.

She is so cute snuggled up in your hand.

Quote Originally Posted by riefderrico View Post
    LOL! She saw me posting and gave me this look, like "What? You think I'm fat?"
    What a cute face!!!

Her favorite place to be. She is now 1.73lbs. She loves her Henry's picky eaters block b ot none of the veggies on list 1 or 2. I have almost tried them all these last two weeks. She likes zucchini and portabella mushrooms, mushrooms sometimes. Avacados alot. I'm at a loss. I give her the veggies every day but they sit there untouched.

Mine are seasonal eaters. She will eat whatever is ripe out of the garden, give her same stuff out of season from the store - forget it. Thanks to her though, she has us eating seasonal veggies we never would have eaten otherwise. She also has gotten us into growing fruits and veggies in the yard! Google - Victory Gardening, Edible landscape and Edible container gardening it is surprisingly easy and your babies will love the fresh treats and plant clippings!

Stella just needs a sqra.

Annabelle's papa Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Skul View Post
    Stella just needs a sqra.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast