Thread: Noise made by baby squirrel?

Default Noise made by baby squirrel?

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 809
Size:  1.09 MB A couple of days ago we had a large storm that had heavy wind and the morning after my dog had come across a baby squirrel. We got it out of her grip and immediately took it inside and put it on a heating pad. Based off what we read on here, it's a 5 week old female eastern grey. We got the esibilac and the 1cc feeder and feed her regularly. But I have noticed that she makes this little huff noise at us. I didn't know if she has trouble breathing or if she's mad that we picked her up or what. Is this little huffing noise normal for the babies? Are we doing anything wrong? Thoughts??

Default Re: Noise made by baby squirrel?

Quote Originally Posted by Jdirwin View Post
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 809
Size:  1.09 MB A couple of days ago we had a large storm that had heavy wind and the morning after my dog had come across a baby squirrel. We got it out of her grip and immediately took it inside and put it on a heating pad. Based off what we read on here, it's a 5 week old female eastern grey. We got the esibilac and the 1cc feeder and feed her regularly. But I have noticed that she makes this little huff noise at us. I didn't know if she has trouble breathing or if she's mad that we picked her up or what. Is this little huffing noise normal for the babies? Are we doing anything wrong? Thoughts??
    Babies do make some varying sounds, hard to say what it is your actually hearing without hearing it ourselves.
    Any way to post a video?
    Eyes open at 5 weeks. Did you do the pinch test for hydration? Do you have a weight on her and are feeding 5-7% of her weight? How often are you feeding? Is the esbilac the one with probiotics? Are you stimulating to potty?
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

Quote Originally Posted by stepnstone View Post
    Babies do make some varying sounds, hard to say what it is your actually hearing without hearing it ourselves.
    Any way to post a video?
    Eyes open at 5 weeks. Did you do the pinch test for hydration? Do you have a weight on her and are feeding 5-7% of her weight? How often are you feeding? Is the esbilac the one with probiotics? Are you stimulating to potty?

We did the pinch test and the skin went down very fast, we are feeing her the recommended amount and we do have the esibilac with probiotics. She has started to go to the bathroom on her own after feeding but we watch and stimulate when we don't see her doing it herself.

I listened with my headphones and I think I heart a pfft? That's pretty normal. BUT frequently hold her to your ear and make sure you don't hear any clicking when breathing. Also monitor appetite and activity level. If they decrease or you hear clicking, it could be pnumonia and that's quite deadly. You'd have to tell us her weight and what antibiotics you had access to ans we could dose. Cipro and Baytril are best to have on hand.

Make sure you're using proper feeding technique to avoid the above:

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...DING-TECHNIQUE!!

I thought I heard pfft also. Which is normal, she just seems kinda young to make it.
    It might be a good idea to see what antibiotics you can find, cause after all her trauma, falling out of the tree, and the dog carrying her around, her immune system is probably down, and if she does come down with pneumonia, the quicker you start antibiotics, the better.

Do you have a gram scale? You really need one to be able to calculate the correct amount of formula to feed her. Also if she needs antibiotics, we will need her weight.

The scales are inexpensive and usually available in the kitchen dept at walmart or other kitchen stores.

Does she have a name? She sure is a cutie!