Thread: Feeding question for 2-3 week old babies...

Default Feeding question for 2-3 week old babies...

Hello everyone, I've got a feeding question for my babie's. I'm currently feeding them powder Esbilac goats milk im mixing 3 parts powder to 5 parts drinking water if I try to mix it 50/50 it becomes too thick for them to drink.

My question is how much yogurt should I be mixing in with my feeding? Im using plain black sheep yogurt that contains no cow milk. I would like to mix the yogurt in with the pre-mixed formula at the time of the feeding because if i mix it all together with the formula and refrigerate it, it becomes very thick afterwards even when warmed up.

My orphans currently weight 60 grams I'm currently feeding them 5% of there body weight (3cc's) per feeding in one cc syringes every 4 hours, please correct me if i'm doing something wrong. I've gathered most of my information trough this forum and this site...

http://www.animaladvocates.us/squirrelmanual.pdf

Thanks for the help in advance.

Default Re: Feeding question for 2-3 week old babies...

bump

Hmm.. I am a total squirrel noob ..

What do the instructions say for just the formula ratio ? For the regular esbilac it's 2:1 . You can also search TSB for goat esbilac info while your waiting for more experienced peeps.

Maybe just draw up 1/4 of the feed total and add that to the feed. So that would be 1 part yogurt to 4 parts prepared formula.

Some told me here at TSB that you can go up to 7% of their body weight if they are doing well. So just make sure that the added yogurt does not bump the feed total to above that .

This is just a guess and a bump .

My permit holder told me to use heavy cream at a 4:1 - 4 parts formula to one part cream. Seems like everyone has different things that they do. That's where I got the idea to draw up 1/4 of feed total .

I think your right about adding it as you need because the re warming may destroy the bacteria in the yogurt

I think you might be using the wrong formula entirely. You should be using the Esbilac puppy powder with probiotics, the one pictured on the right below. Then just follow the instructions.

Name:  esbilac-155.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  179.0 KB

Also, are you following proper feeding technique:

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...DING-TECHNIQUE!!

Mama squirrels do it all the time. Why do we have so much trouble feeding our babies. Esbilac with probiotics mixed two parts water to one part powder is a good replacement for Mamma's home cooking. I usually tweak it depending on what my babies need. The tiny pinkies do well on the temporary goats milk formula. It's easy on their tummys. I mix Esbilac with probiotics that has been mixed 2 to 1 with the goats milk formula. That does very well for me too. Formula is offered REALLY warm--almost hot. If your baby gets the runs your formula is usually the problem--often over feeding. If the baby gets stoppered up, he'll need to get UN stoppered. IR is having a fit with her baby right NON. Good luck with your sweetheart. If you have specific questions come back and ask.

Thanks lady's and gents, I wasn't home earlier to look at the milk I've got but I just looked at it and it doesn't have pro-biotics like I thought it did.

But I am adding yogurt to there formula which does have pro-biotics I'm just not sure how much yogurt to add per every 3cc feedings?

Like I said earlier I add the yogurt to there milk at the time of there feedings because once refrigerated if mixed it turns the milk very thick. I'm currently mixing 3 parts powder with 3 parts water should I change this consistency to more water less powder like you guys mentioned above?

There stools are nice golden consistency not loose nor hard, I will begin switching over to the fomula that's not goat milk soon, my babies are appx. 3-5 weeks old both weighing between 58-62 grams.

You know to feed 5-7% of body weight, right? And you do have a scale?

Quote Originally Posted by farrelli View Post
    You know to feed 5-7% of body weight, right? And you do have a scale?
    Yes I do, I've been feeding 5% there body weight every 4hrs they weight about 60 grams each so i've been feeding 3cc's every 4hrs.

Are they still hungry? 5% is min.

If they are still hungry after 5% you can give a bit more. Just watch their poops: if they get lighter in color or mushy, you are overfeeding so then you cut back.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

Are you feeding puppy replacement Esbilac or Goat's milk puppy replacer. You need regular puppy powder with probiotics. NOT the goat's milk type. When we take about goats milk formula here, we are talking about a formula that you can make with actual goats milk, yogurt and heavy cream.
    Squirrels, squirrels and more squirrels....
    Prayers for the people who make this a better world...
    savesquirrels@sbcglobal.net

Quote Originally Posted by island rehabber View Post
    If they are still hungry after 5% you can give a bit more. Just watch their poops: if they get lighter in color or mushy, you are overfeeding so then you cut back.
    They seem content and not wanting to eat much more when I get to 2.5-3cc's per feeding I even try to re-warm there milk and they become reluctant to eat more.

I read 5% from this source.

http://www.animaladvocates.us/squirrelmanual.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by SammysMom View Post
    Are you feeding puppy replacement Esbilac or Goat's milk puppy replacer. You need regular puppy powder with probiotics. NOT the goat's milk type. When we take about goats milk formula here, we are talking about a formula that you can make with actual goats milk, yogurt and heavy cream.
    When I went out to buy formula the only formula the store had in stock was Esbilac Goats milk powder formula i didnt realize it didnt contain probiotics but the yogurt i add thats made with sheep milk contains probiotics wouldnt it be the same adding yogurt to there milk? How much yogurt should i be adding tho?

I will be going out to buy them there esbilac puppy formula this afternoon, shall I continue the same 50/50 consistency mix that im using now with there goat milk?

And continue adding there yogurt? The yogurt contains probiotic is there a certain dose of yogurt im suppose to use? or can I overdose them with probiotic if they get too much?

Ttt

If you get the regular puppy Esbilac with probiotics, you don't have to add yogurt. Just mix it 2 parts water to one part powder. For example, 1 tablespoon powder to 2 tablespoons hot water. Mix it up and let it sit for at least 4 hours, but preferably overnight in the fridge. So mix it up at night for the whole day the next day and that way you only have to make it once per day. Use very hot water to mix it.
    Last edited by SammysMom; 08-02-2014 at 05:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SammysMom View Post
    If you get the regular puppy Esbilac with probiotics, you don't have to add yogurt. Just mix it 2 parts water to one part powder. For example, 2 tablespoon powder to 2 tablespoons hot water
    I think SammysMom meant 1 tablespoon powder to 2 tablespoons hot water.

She's sleep-deprived, like me. It's pinky season.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

Quote Originally Posted by island rehabber View Post
    I think SammysMom meant 1 tablespoon powder to 2 tablespoons hot water.

She's sleep-deprived, like me. It's pinky season.
    Thank you for the correction "island rehabber" I just bought the puppy esbilac with probiotics, I will be mixing 1 tablespoon powder to 2 tablespoons hot water with no yogurt. Is there anything else I should be adding to there food? Or is this what they will be feeding on untill there able to eat solid foods? I appreciate everyones help here, cant thank you all enough. Btw my orphans are up 10grams heavier today!

IR!!! I corrected my post. I am so sorry SE!!!

No worries Sammy Thank You! For the help