Thread: Possible upper respitory 2-3 weeks old

Default Possible upper respitory 2-3 weeks old

I'll try to make this short, i'm currently rescuing 2 baby squirrels 2-3 weeks old one was found with head trauma. Blood coming from its nose and mouth, i've managed to stop the bleeding but he seems to have an upper respitory problem he will eat .5cc's from his normal 3-4cc feedings (snot coming from its nose, wheezing from its nasal cavitys when breathing) his chest does not sound like has fluid I cannot hear any crackling in there, but im worried about dehydration since hes not eating properly.

I would like to administer some sq LRS fluids about 5% of his weight divided into two administrations twice daily, and put him near a distilled humidifier for a few minutes to try and open up his nasal cavitys. Im a veterinary technician but have more experience with dogs and cats than small rodents, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

The Orphans were found about 2 days ago the healthy one is doing fine eating urinating and deficating, I got the lethargic one to deficate this morning and urinate yesterday but the poop may be from what it had left from its mothers milk. Not sure if i should start him on some baytril yet or not i would like to try non-medicine first and see if i can improve its health before he declines rapidly.

Default Re: Possible upper respitory 2-3 weeks old

Does anyone here have experience with this kind of problem? How long is a sufficient amount of time to nebulize? When should I start taking action and begin antibiotic treatment? Is it a good idea to use a squeeze bulb on the nose after humidifying? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Squirrel-Earl thank you so much for helping these babies...I have no clue about what you can do...but I do think you should move this thread to Life-threatening ...it will get noticed by our heavyweight rehabbers Maybe cut and paste to a new thread there This is really important
    Make the world a better place...one animal at a time

The Peace of Wild Things
    BY WENDELL BERRY
    When despair for the world grows in me
    and I wake in the night at the least sound
    in fear of what my life and my children’s lives may be,
    I go and lie down where the wood drake
    rests in his beauty on the water, and the great heron feeds.
    I come into the peace of wild things
    who do not tax their lives with forethought
    of grief. I come into the presence of still water.
    And I feel above me the day-blind stars
    waiting with their light. For a time
    I rest in the grace of the world, and am free.

Inhaling any kind of fluid can cause aspiration pneumonia - including blood. If you suspect this I would do the baytril IMMEDIATELY. I would much rather give medication when it wasn't needed than wait too long or not give it at all, and baytril will take care of this if pneumonia is the issue.

Get the baby hydrated though, even if you have to do it drop by drop or sub-q.

i agree, and would start Baytril asap -- even if the URI is viral, the Baytril will ward off other nasties that may invade this little one's immune system.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

Quote Originally Posted by island rehabber View Post
    i agree, and would start Baytril asap -- even if the URI is viral, the Baytril will ward off other nasties that may invade this little one's immune system.
    Quote Originally Posted by CritterMom View Post
    Inhaling any kind of fluid can cause aspiration pneumonia - including blood. If you suspect this I would do the baytril IMMEDIATELY. I would much rather give medication when it wasn't needed than wait too long or not give it at all, and baytril will take care of this if pneumonia is the issue.

Get the baby hydrated though, even if you have to do it drop by drop or sub-q.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shewhosweptforest View Post
    Squirrel-Earl thank you so much for helping these babies...I have no clue about what you can do...but I do think you should move this thread to Life-threatening ...it will get noticed by our heavyweight rehabbers Maybe cut and paste to a new thread there This is really important
    Thank you guys and gals I have been administering sub Q fluids i just got done with my afternoon feeding and the sick one still does not want to eat, i will post this in "life-threatning" do you know what dosage i should go with, with the baytril? I'd have to go with injectable because he wont take oral and spits everything back up. Thanks again for the insite

I have never given Baytril as an injection. However, the dosage for a baby this age is so tiny I believe you can pull up the small dose of medicine, then pull maybe another .5ml of sugar water and slip it right under his muzzle and into his mouth. Stroke his head and throat gently immediately after, to get him to swallow.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '