Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Help baby squirrel anus is red and swollen

Default Help baby squirrel anus is red and swollen

My dad and I saved some baby squirrels that fell from some trees we were trimming. They fell about 35 feet and are about 3-4 weeks old. There was four in total, now there is three. One died we believe because it had milk in it's lungs and because it got cold. I'm not a squirrel expert I've never rehabilitated an animal before I researched as much as I could the first day we got them. Unfortunately all I had available at the moment was a puppy bottle from gnc and puppy formula. Heating wise I didn't know they couldn't warm themselves no wonder they didn't get warm after being wrapped in a ton of blankets. We have now a syringe to feed them and a lamp to heat them nicely. Before the formula I gave them pedialyte, then puppy formula. I feed every three hours about 1 ml or a bit more if they seem to want more. I keep them as clean as I can but they all have diarrhea and I stimulate often so they go pee and stuff. But like I said the smallest baby has a red swollen anus. And I need help to stop the diarrhea and the redness. I've had them for 6 days now

Default Re: Help baby squirrel anus is red and swollen

What kind of puppy formula are you feeding the babies?

Quote Originally Posted by lukaslolamaus View Post
    What kind of puppy formula are you feeding the babies?
    I just left home but as soon as I come back I'll let you know. I just know my dad got it from pet smart

The formula has to have probiotics in it. The recommend kind is esbilac with probiotics. I'm not one of the expert on here. Usually the babies are being kept warm by placing a heating pad on low setting under half the container that they are in. I don't know how effective a heating lamp is. The babies are supposed to be kept warm in a dark and quiet place.

Also it helps to mix a whole fat yogurt with the formula...the probiotics can help...but with diarrhea this serious....I would get your dad or you, whoever's out to pick up some Benebac...also for emergencies I've used infant Imodium ....it really helped

Also, heating lamps can be very dangerous.... you'd be much better off with a heating pad...I also heat a rice buddy and stick it in there with them...then they have something warm to lay up against ...and the heating pad helps it retain it's heat longer then without a heating pad
    Make the world a better place...one animal at a time

The Peace of Wild Things
    BY WENDELL BERRY
    When despair for the world grows in me
    and I wake in the night at the least sound
    in fear of what my life and my children’s lives may be,
    I go and lie down where the wood drake
    rests in his beauty on the water, and the great heron feeds.
    I come into the peace of wild things
    who do not tax their lives with forethought
    of grief. I come into the presence of still water.
    And I feel above me the day-blind stars
    waiting with their light. For a time
    I rest in the grace of the world, and am free.

The formula has to have probiotics in it. The recommend kind is esbilac with probiotics. I'm not one of the expert on here. Usually the babies are being kept warm by placing a heating pad on low setting under half the container that they are in. I don't know how effective a heating lamp is. The babies are supposed to be kept warm in a dark and quiet place.
    Make the world a better place...one animal at a time

The Peace of Wild Things
    BY WENDELL BERRY
    When despair for the world grows in me
    and I wake in the night at the least sound
    in fear of what my life and my children’s lives may be,
    I go and lie down where the wood drake
    rests in his beauty on the water, and the great heron feeds.
    I come into the peace of wild things
    who do not tax their lives with forethought
    of grief. I come into the presence of still water.
    And I feel above me the day-blind stars
    waiting with their light. For a time
    I rest in the grace of the world, and am free.

It's also important to know how much they weigh. A small kitchen scale works great. The babies need about 5% of their body weight in formula per feeding.

Since you are new to baby squirrels, I thought some of this information might be useful to you.

Baby Squirrel 101

This is general information. We will also give you direct answers to your specific questions. Do you have a heating pad that does not have an automatic shut-off?
    Baby Squirrel Information

1) Is the baby uninjured? Is mom still around? and if so, warm the baby and place in a safe spot where mom can reunite if possible. Mom will not take a cold baby!
    2) Okay, so you couldn’t reunite with mom. Start by warming the baby in a plastic container full of fleece or tee shirt material. (Not towels as the loops catch little claws and can cause injury) Place the container half on a heating pad that is set on low. It needs to be a heating pad that does not have an automatic shut-off. It needs to be half on and half off so that the baby can get off of the heat if it gets too hot.
    3) Check to see if the baby is dehydrated. You can do this by gently picking up the skin on the back of the baby’s shoulders. If the skin goes right back down it is not dehydrated. If the skin remains “tented” for a time, you will need to rehydrate with Pedialyte or homemade Pedialyte.

Hydrate them right away (use a 1cc syringe and go slow)........ give some homemade pedialyte every hour for six to eight hours and then you can start start feeding them some formula made from goats milk (if they are thoroughly hydrated).
    Pedialyte for no more than 24 hours!!! Too much sodium!!

Homemade Pedialyte
    1 cup warm water
    1/4 tsp salt (teaspoon)
    1 Tbsp sugar (tablespoon)

Feed slowly with a 1cc syringe - head UP tail DOWN
    Keep warm at all time – If no heating pad available fill bottle with hot water (cover bottle with sock) or fill a sock with dry rice or beans and microwave. Be sure to squish the rice or beans around to be sure there are no hot spots that might burn the babies.

4) Once rehydrated begin to feed Fox Valley formula which can be ordered from http://foxvalleynutrition.com or while waiting for that to arrive use recipe below. As a general rule you will feed 5 - 7% of their body weight per feeding

Homemade Goats Milk Recipe -

1 cup Goats Milk * (if can - dilute)
    1/3 cup Full Fat Vanilla Yogurt
    1/3 cup Heavy Cream (frig section)

(lasts 72 hours in frig)
    5) This information is really just meant to get you through until you can get the baby or babies to an experienced rehabber. If you are here on The Squirrel Board, you have access to all of the information you could ever need about squirrels. Most importantly there is generally someone here who can help to find you someone who can take the babies and prepare them for life in the trees. The trees are where they are meant to be and people here know how to get them safely there!
    Life is not measured by the breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

"Don't cry because it's over - smile because it happened." Dr. Seuss

Quote Originally Posted by lennysmom View Post
    Since you are new to baby squirrels, I thought some of this information might be useful to you.

Baby Squirrel 101

This is general information. We will also give you direct answers to your specific questions. Do you have a heating pad that does not have an automatic shut-off?
    Baby Squirrel Information

1) Is the baby uninjured? Is mom still around? and if so, warm the baby and place in a safe spot where mom can reunite if possible. Mom will not take a cold baby!
    2) Okay, so you couldn’t reunite with mom. Start by warming the baby in a plastic container full of fleece or tee shirt material. (Not towels as the loops catch little claws and can cause injury) Place the container half on a heating pad that is set on low. It needs to be a heating pad that does not have an automatic shut-off. It needs to be half on and half off so that the baby can get off of the heat if it gets too hot.
    3) Check to see if the baby is dehydrated. You can do this by gently picking up the skin on the back of the baby’s shoulders. If the skin goes right back down it is not dehydrated. If the skin remains “tented” for a time, you will need to rehydrate with Pedialyte or homemade Pedialyte.

Hydrate them right away (use a 1cc syringe and go slow)........ give some homemade pedialyte every hour for six to eight hours and then you can start start feeding them some formula made from goats milk (if they are thoroughly hydrated).
    Pedialyte for no more than 24 hours!!! Too much sodium!!

Homemade Pedialyte
    1 cup warm water
    1/4 tsp salt (teaspoon)
    1 Tbsp sugar (tablespoon)

Feed slowly with a 1cc syringe - head UP tail DOWN
    Keep warm at all time – If no heating pad available fill bottle with hot water (cover bottle with sock) or fill a sock with dry rice or beans and microwave. Be sure to squish the rice or beans around to be sure there are no hot spots that might burn the babies.

4) Once rehydrated begin to feed Fox Valley formula which can be ordered from http://foxvalleynutrition.com or while waiting for that to arrive use recipe below. As a general rule you will feed 5 - 7% of their body weight per feeding

Homemade Goats Milk Recipe -

1 cup Goats Milk * (if can - dilute)
    1/3 cup Full Fat Vanilla Yogurt
    1/3 cup Heavy Cream (frig section)

(lasts 72 hours in frig)
    5) This information is really just meant to get you through until you can get the baby or babies to an experienced rehabber. If you are here on The Squirrel Board, you have access to all of the information you could ever need about squirrels. Most importantly there is generally someone here who can help to find you someone who can take the babies and prepare them for life in the trees. The trees are where they are meant to be and people here know how to get them safely there!
    The babies have a lamp that heats them enough to keep them warm and cozy, we couldn't get the mom back we tried to put them by the trees and she didn't come:/
    We bought a dog bed that's soft and big enough for them. We put some towels in there to add comfort. When I get home I'll tell you what we are feeding so far

If possible change the towels to fleece or t-shirt material please.Their little claws can get hung up in the loops of the towels.

Please pay close attention to the advice these folks are providing, it is extremely important:

Quote Originally Posted by Bridgettmota View Post
    The babies have a lamp that heats them enough to keep them warm and cozy.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Shewhosweptforest View Post
    Also, heating lamps can be very dangerous
    Quote Originally Posted by Bridgettmota View Post
    We put some towels in there to add comfort.
    Quote Originally Posted by lennysmom View Post
    (Not towels as the loops catch little claws and can cause injury)
    They have tons of experience with these babies!

If possible change the towels to fleece or t-shirt material please.Their little claws can get hung up in the loops of the towels.
    The formula we have is gnc ultra puppy weaning formula, and the towel is the base we have old tshirts surrounding them

They really need a heating pad if at all possible, on the lowest setting. At this age, they cannot regulate their own body heat.

Also, not sure about the formula you are feeding, but most members here recommend Esbalic with probiotics. Many other types of formulas end up giving these wee ones digestive problems - Unfortunately, I'm speaking from experience there.
    Life is not measured by the breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

"Don't cry because it's over - smile because it happened." Dr. Seuss

I don't know anything about the formula you're feeding. If you can't find the esbilac with probiotics I recommend the goat milk formula in the post from lennysmom. That's what I used after making the terrible mistake of feeding kitten formula. It's easy to make and it cleared up the diarrhea of one of my boys and the others within a few days. Feeding the correct formula can save their lives. I know how much you care about them or you wouldn't be seeking help. The redness and swelling are irritation from the runny poo.
    The heating pad is a must.

Sorry if we sound picky, but the Esbilac is really good and there are many formulas out there which are very bad and can cause sickness and death. I'll put a pic of it at the bottom of this.

If you don's have any already, you should got to a pharmacy and get some 1cc syringes (without needle) for feeding. They will often give them free if you say it's for a puppy or kitten. We can tell you how to order nipples later.

Also incredibly important that you follow proper feeding technique:

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...DING-TECHNIQUE!!

One of the most common problems we have here is people feeding incorrectly which causes aspiration pneumonia and then death quickly thereafter.

You'll have to feed them 5-7% of body weight, but the frequency is based on age.

Its great that you seem open to caring for these little guys, but would you want us to try to find someone to take them? Caring for them is a really big responsibility. They are very high maintenance, and if very young, need round the clock care.

Can you give some pics so that we can see them so as to evaluate?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Joni'smom Guest

When I found Joni, I used Isomil baby formula. It is a soy formula and she did great on it.

Joni'smom Guest

Sorry!! I mean prosobee baby formula.

Quote Originally Posted by farrelli View Post
    Sorry if we sound picky, but the Esbilac is really good and there are many formulas out there which are very bad and can cause sickness and death. I'll put a pic of it at the bottom of this.

If you don's have any already, you should got to a pharmacy and get some 1cc syringes (without needle) for feeding. They will often give them free if you say it's for a puppy or kitten. We can tell you how to order nipples later.

Also incredibly important that you follow proper feeding technique:

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...DING-TECHNIQUE!!

One of the most common problems we have here is people feeding incorrectly which causes aspiration pneumonia and then death quickly thereafter.

You'll have to feed them 5-7% of body weight, but the frequency is based on age.

Its great that you seem open to caring for these little guys, but would you want us to try to find someone to take them? Caring for them is a really big responsibility. They are very high maintenance, and if very young, need round the clock care.

Can you give some pics so that we can see them so as to evaluate?
    I have the syringe now and aspiration is what caused the first ones death because we had nothing but the gnc puppy bottle. I wake up around the clock to feed them and clean them I wouldn't mind a rehab place. We tried one in LA but they said they would put them down so my dad was like no way and we have tried caring on our own. I'll try to post a picture

Here it is
    Attached Images Attached Images  

You've received some spot on info. I think this is a recap to make it easier to sort out

A. Do you want TSB to find a rehabber to help?
    B. Gotta get the diarrhea under control ASAP. If it's caused by formula, get the right formula. You have the goats milk formula that's good for teenies or you can get Esbilac puppy formula WITH probiotics. Not the stuff in the can and not any other Esbilac formula. If it's caused by over feeding they need 5 to 7% of their body weight per feeding--every 2 to 3 hours around the clock for pinkies. Look for the milk line (check out "baby squirrels") if there's still a milk line when you go to feed, wait awhile. Don't overfeed) may need to go back to hydration fluid to give their system a break if no improvement.
    C. Put some antibiotic or even Vaseline on that poor baby's bunghole. That's gotta hurt.
    D. They need a heating pad with NO auto shut off set on low under part of the bin they are in. No cardboard boxes please. A sterlite shoebox appropriately ventilated is good for a start. They WILL need larger quarters very soon. Bin needs fleece, flannel or old shirts as bedding. Plenty of it as they like to snuggle in. Don't feed cold babies. Always warm the formula--very warm but not hot.
    E. Always potty your babies after eating. Make sure they're always clean as they can soil themselves if they have diarrhea.
    F. Use the proper feeding technique (you can find it in the info in this thread) and use a 1ml syringe--nothing over 3ml and an appropriate nipple--not a nipple for a dog or cat. Go drop by drop as it's really easy to aspirate the little guys. They get aspiration pneumonia if formula gets in their lungs and you'll need antibiotics NOW (they have to be carefully dosed according to weight and not every antibiotic is appropriate for aspiration pneumonia)

Ummmmmmm--what else TSB team? This is just a recap. Thank you for taking on the formidable job of raising these babies (mama squirrels make it look so easy!) Poor little girl. That looks so sore.

Is her little leg bruised or is it the light?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast