Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: baby red squirrel

Default Re: baby red squirrel

Quote Originally Posted by tap31974 View Post
    At the moment he loves his hamster ball he runs all over the house and he jumps in it without force..also bought and put together pvc piping 3 inch he loves running through that as well. I am getting concerned because the last 2 days he has begun chewing on all the plastic as well as his antler I'm hoping this isn't a big issue cause the permanent housing won't be here for another week.should I be highly worried??
    DO NOT let him chew on the PVC piping.
    I will explain later.

Also, it is not safe in the hamster ball, they can easily break or damage their tails.
    Sorry, we're taking away all your fun!
    But we are telling you mistakes others have made, with bad or deadly results, so we can try to prevent them from happening again.

Also, it is in your best interest to not tell anyone you have the squirrel. If the state finds out, they will come and seize him, and euthanize him. It is horrible, but we hear about it. So, the fewer people that know, the safer your squirrel is.

Basically, most of us here are outlaws, because we love our squirrels.

Quote Originally Posted by czarina View Post
    Also, it is not safe in the hamster ball, they can easily break or damage their tails.
    Sorry, we're taking away all your fun!
    But we are telling you mistakes others have made, with bad or deadly results, so we can try to prevent them from happening again.

Also, it is in your best interest to not tell anyone you have the squirrel. If the state finds out, they will come and seize him, and euthanize him. It is horrible, but we hear about it. So, the fewer people that know, the safer your squirrel is.

Basically, most of us here are outlaws, because we love our squirrels.
    I was figuring that when he got a lil bigger it would be a no no in some way lol. The biggest reason he's had it was because until my hubby went through the house to make sure there were no openings he could either get stuck in or out through the base board heating then we can let him safely play with us on the floor. And he is fully my lil secret everyone who was with me when I found them think all 3 passed because I was afraid of getting in trouble terrible lie but it is what it is and if my landlord found out about Alvin he would flip his lid he is a no pets landlord.AND OMG TAKE THEM TO KILL THEM I DID NOT EVEN THINK THAT,THAT WAS POSSIBLE !! That is just disgusting!! I am literally horrified to learn that.

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy in New York View Post
    DO NOT let him chew on the PVC piping.
    I will explain later.
    Ok will remove it I mean I stop him when he chews on it, it's not to hard to cause it's only in his play area.but what about the cage until next week when we get the permanent cage I have this critter habitat and there is plastic everywhere and he just insists on chewing every time I walk off I am usually awake till way after he goes to sleep but lil bugger wakes up way b4 me and there he is chewing away then sees me and stops. But how worried should I be about that.or I'm hoping because it was made for lil chewing animals that it might be something to keep an eye on but not deadly or I don't know I just know it's bothering me plastic bad all that keeps rolling through my head lol. I don't think he's Eating it cause the shreds are there in the bottom but he's gotta be ingesting some i think

First. They are chewers by nature...it's necessary for good health, teeth, stress. What I do is cover my plastic with cloth..I use fleece, but for now if you have old sheets, or flannel shirts, or the t shirts you can make a makeshift cover...doesn't have to be pretty. Cut strips in the material on the ends and tie it to the bars, or tuck it under the tray not sure of your exact set up. Also, give him something good to chew on....go outside and get a few twigs off a tree, I try not to take them off the ground ....just in case of parasites...although when a storm blows through I usually run around and pick up all the little toppers that fall out of the trees. I have oaks. Oak, maple, tulip poplar, beech, sweet gum, hickory, pecan, apple (make sure they haven't been sprayed) crepe myrtles, Rose of Sharon, forsythia bushes ....hmmm I'm trying to think of safe trees and bushes. Anyway just check the leaves, I pull off any leaves that have eggs or anything on them. Some people bake them in a 200 degree oven. I don't, I just like them to be fresh...but I make sure they are clean He will love you for the gift and it will be good for him
    Make the world a better place...one animal at a time

The Peace of Wild Things
    BY WENDELL BERRY
    When despair for the world grows in me
    and I wake in the night at the least sound
    in fear of what my life and my children’s lives may be,
    I go and lie down where the wood drake
    rests in his beauty on the water, and the great heron feeds.
    I come into the peace of wild things
    who do not tax their lives with forethought
    of grief. I come into the presence of still water.
    And I feel above me the day-blind stars
    waiting with their light. For a time
    I rest in the grace of the world, and am free.

Just a play area he likes to burrow in the socks and toss them around and that wooden squirrel is a chew toy bought at petco also loves to wrestle with stuffed dog toys
    Attached Images Attached Images   

I know this cage is ridiculous but had to get it temporary cause the cage we are getting is rather pricey but still less pricey then some we have looked at

Oh my gosh!!!! You're killing me...klunk.. I've fallen and can't get back up too precious!!!! That is an awesome playground

The Peace of Wild Things
    BY WENDELL BERRY

Yes...I hear ya! Their cages are pricey....I'm trying to think how you can get the material over the plastic bottom....that's where he's chewing right? Cuz I'm not kidding you when I say one day he'll be out...once they get a good "tooth hold" they can make an escape hole in no time Also the plastic balls, cat toy, needs to go I'm sorry, but if he breaks a little piece off and swallows it may never happen, but an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure They sell these wooden block toys that hang like that....at Walmart (I'd go here, their prices aren't jacked up) and all the pet stores. It's made of rope and wooden blocks...that would be a good hanging toy.

Do you have a large pillow case that you could slide the bottom into and then re attach the top wire portion? This is just a temp fix...but could maybe hold you over until the cage comes in

The Peace of Wild Things
    BY WENDELL BERRY

LOL! Yeah, the pic Sweeper reposted is adorable. What a sweetie.

Quote Originally Posted by Shewhosweptforest View Post
    Yes...I hear ya! Their cages are pricey....I'm trying to think how you can get the material over the plastic bottom....that's where he's chewing right? Cuz I'm not kidding you when I say one day he'll be out...once they get a good "tooth hold" they can make an escape hole in no time Also the plastic balls, cat toy, needs to go I'm sorry, but if he breaks a little piece off and swallows it may never happen, but an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure They sell these wooden block toys that hang like that....at Walmart (I'd go here, their prices aren't jacked up) and all the pet stores. It's made of rope and wooden blocks...that would be a good hanging toy.

Do you have a large pillow case that you could slide the bottom into and then re attach the top wire portion? This is just a temp fix...but could maybe hold you over until the cage comes in
    Oooh yeah I could definitely try that. Ill have to wait till hubby gets home cause I have no idea how to take that apart or put it together he did that. And I didn't like the bird toy anyway he put that in now I can say see I'm not the only one who don't like it

Quote Originally Posted by tap31974 View Post
    Oooh yeah I could definitely try that. Ill have to wait till hubby gets home cause I have no idea how to take that apart or put it together he did that. And I didn't like the bird toy anyway he put that in now I can say see I'm not the only one who don't like it
    Glad to help!

The Peace of Wild Things
    BY WENDELL BERRY

Glad to help!
    Thank you greatly!!

To be safe, I would keep this cage in a CLOSED secured room so that if he DOES chew out, you have a limited space to hunt him in. Just remember, you need to get right down on the ground to make sure you haven't missed a little hole. For example, did you know that most kitchen and bathroom cabinets just have a little "toe kick" that makes the bottom part look solid? And that it is open on the top allowing small animals to climb right inside the bottom of the cabinet? And that you can't get them without REMOVING the cabinet? If you need instructions for doing this, just let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by CritterMom View Post
    To be safe, I would keep this cage in a CLOSED secured room so that if he DOES chew out, you have a limited space to hunt him in. Just remember, you need to get right down on the ground to make sure you haven't missed a little hole. For example, did you know that most kitchen and bathroom cabinets just have a little "toe kick" that makes the bottom part look solid? And that it is open on the top allowing small animals to climb right inside the bottom of the cabinet? And that you can't get them without REMOVING the cabinet? If you need instructions for doing this, just let me know.
    Oh my didn't know that I really hope that never happens.husband and I are slowly going through each room searching for little nooks like that one you just described.he also pulled out the fridge and reinforced the back so he can't get into the fridge. Already had to rip the netting from under the couch cause he decided to do some unsupervised exploring.lol

Welcome to the wonderful world of squirrel parenting! Ha ha
    But you would be amazed where the little devils can get to. Especially the reds. It is much better to prevent an accident, than to have to open up a wall, to retrieve him. Ask Fireweed, one of her little darlings just ate through her wall!
    Maybe someone could post that picture here. Sorry, I am on my phone and have limited abilities.
    Also, maybe someone could post the link about kitchen safety, I think Stosh had started it, and it is quite helpful.

Bottom line, its much better to prevent an escape, than worry yourself sick trying to retrieve them!

Calvin's new cage finally ordered along with baby squirrel block can't wait to get him all set up hopefully Saturday I hope I hope I hope

He's going to be in "squirrel paradise" then you can trick It out with limbs and thick ropes...and fleece hammocks.... like how I'm already cage decorating for ya...I'm in the process of doing the same thing

The Peace of Wild Things
    BY WENDELL BERRY

Alvin not Calvin I don't know why it did that lol

He's going to be in "squirrel paradise" then you can trick It out with limbs and thick ropes...and fleece hammocks.... like how I'm already cage decorating for ya...I'm in the process of doing the same thing
    Lol I'm so excited. I love ideas!

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast