Thread: rapid weight loss

Default rapid weight loss

OK I would really appreciate any help or advice I can get here. I'm worried about my baby Trooper. He is about 10 months old and has recently lost a bit of weight. Admittedly some of it he needed to lose but now I think he has lost too much. His diet varies... Two hhbs (picky formula)daily usually a few veggies like cauliflower, carrots, broccoli, Brussels sprouts and some fruits like apple, banana, and strawberries...a cherry tomatoe or avacado or some mushrooms occasionally. An almond when he goes to bed and on weekdays when I go to work in the morning as well. He has a lamp that is on all day during daylight hours as well (especially now since lately its done nothing but been doom and gloom rain) he seems to sleep a fair bit more and its only been in the past month he is just as active as ever when he does play and has become increasingly clingy and just HAS to be cuddled. All the time. I know during the summer i eat less (the heat i guess) and i know sometimes animals can be perceptive and I am wondering if this isn't stress? He isn't eating much at all (not even all of his hhbs!) and its been gradually decreasing and like I said is very lovey (not complaining!) The reason I wonder if it isn't stress is because recently I've been dealing with a few health issues myself with tumors and I don't know if he is picking up on that? I know I have been depressed and tired a lot more but his schedule hasn't changed? Feeding times, play times and bedtimes are all the same.He isn't boney but its getting there with just a little bit of his skin on his stomach being looser than normal and he just refused avacado which is his favorite! And I just can't get over how almost demanding he is in his affection. For instance I am typing this with one hand because he refuses to relinquish the other even for just a moment. I don't know if I should even be worried but I am because that's what I do. His teeth are fine also by the way he has plenty to chew :-) if there are any suggestions as to new foods to try? Supplements? Anything. All advice would be appreciated!

Default Re: rapid weight loss

Has he by any chance been tested for parasites by a vet? It could be that maybe he has some kind of worms or another intestinal parasite making him sick. Does he have any loose or stinky stool? That can be one sign of parasites, but even if his stool seems normal, he still could have a parasite.
    Do you have a local vet that could test him for that?
    Life is not measured by the breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

"Don't cry because it's over - smile because it happened." Dr. Seuss

Hmmm no I haven't had him tested for that. Would I just take a poo sample to the vet and ask them to test it? I'm not even certain which vet I would take him to? Is there a dewormer that can safely be given?

I think that a lot of sqs lose weight in the summer months. Have you weighed him? Do you know what the difference is or is it totally subjective?

Quote Originally Posted by ellymay View Post
    Hmmm no I haven't had him tested for that. Would I just take a poo sample to the vet and ask them to test it? I'm not even certain which vet I would take him to? Is there a dewormer that can safely be given?
    When I had Lenny tested I took a fecal sample to the vet, but because our vets are not squirrel friendly, I asked them to test my "pet rat". There are several different kinds of meds used to treat parasites, depending on what kind and so it would really be better if you could have him tested before attempting to treat him, especially since they can be hard on the tummy and it sounds like he already has issues there.
    Life is not measured by the breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

Weight difference is in his looks and I watch his food intake and have noticed him eating less. At first I thought he was just getting bored with his food. So i tried changing and adding different veggies.Today he was just sitting in my hand and he just felt lighter and I was rubbing his belly and he just looked a bit thinner than I prefer with slightly loose skin in his belly. He is actually eating some lettuce right now I mean he does eat its just in the past three months he went from chunky to athletic and then in the past month he is a little skinnier and I don't want him to lose much more.

Quote Originally Posted by lennysmom View Post
    When I had Lenny tested I took a fecal sample to the vet, but because our vets are not squirrel friendly, I asked them to test my "pet rat". There are several different kinds of meds used to treat parasites, depending on what kind and so it would really be better if you could have him tested before attempting to treat him, especially since they can be hard on the tummy and it sounds like he already has issues there.
    Hmmm ok I will try and see if my vet can do that. Couldn't hurt! Although if it is worms is the medicine and dosing going to be the same for him?

Also are there any recommendations on what to give him while getting the testing done to help put a smidge of weight on him or at least keep him from losing more?

Quote Originally Posted by ellymay View Post
    Hmmm ok I will try and see if my vet can do that. Couldn't hurt! Although if it is worms is the medicine and dosing going to be the same for him?
    Well, if it does turn out to be worms, the medicine is dosed by weight. You would need to get an accurate weight on him - do you have a food scale? It will be good to start keeping a weight on him anyway, especially if you think he may be loosing weight. There are several members on here that can help you dose whatever they would give you once you obtain his weight.

My squirrel has lost weight, also. Darklies squirrel lost 100gms. My daughter laughs, and says my squirrel has "an old man belly", cause his belly skin is kind of saggy. I'm not sure if I should be offened. Ha ha

You can try giving your baby some Ensure, they seem to like vanilla and butter pecan. That should help put on some weight. Also, you can add a bowl of his baby formula, that helps, too. Personally, Ithink they are eating less because its summer, but don't know if there is any science behind that.

Others will be up, and weighing in soon. Lennysmom is right, you need a gram scale, so you can keep an accurate record of his weight. We will need an accurate weight to dose his wormer, and its best if you have a weight, so your vet doesn't ask you to bring your "rat" in, and best to have a story ready, just in case, like its your daughters rat, and you refuse to touch it, etc. Just in case they do ask you to bring the rat in.