Thread: Healthy Diet for Wild Squirrel's in Your Backyard?

Default Healthy Diet for Wild Squirrel's in Your Backyard?

I know that cracked corn isn't good for squirrels, despite the fact that that's what retailers sell as 'squirrel food'. What are the best things for squirrel watchers to be tossing out to their backyard squirrels?
    I know lots of people get squirrel blocks for them, but most of the people I know can't afford that kind of stuff. I'm just talking about relatively inexpensive, healthy corn alternatives.

Default Re: Healthy Diet for Wild Squirrel's in Your Backyard?

Here's CritterMom's solution:

I buy Mazuri rodent block from Paris Farmers Union - 50 pounds for less than $25. This is one of the things that rehabbers feed their squirrels - rats and squirrels have very similar dietary needs. I doctor them a bit to make them more popular - I drizzle a little vegetable oil on them, throw a blob of peanut butter on top, and nuke it until the PB is soft enough to stir the whole mess and coat all the blocks. Then I nuke it for a couple minutes until they are screaming, bubbling hot - which causes the blocks to soak up the peanut butter mixture. Cool and serve - it is cheap. they eat ot all so you don't have seed mess, and it is actually good for them.

Ha! Just bought some today. If you have any livestock feed stores around you, ask if they can order Mazuri Rodent Breeder in the 50# bag - Mazuri is owned by Purina and they are one of the largest manufacturers of livestock feed, so chances are pretty good they can get it for you.

I wanted to ask. Someone was saying Katee Blocks have "Carcinogens" and could cause tumors. Would Mazuri Rodent Breeder block be safe for indoor squirrels?

Quote Originally Posted by HappyLittleSquirrely View Post
    I wanted to ask. Someone was saying Katee Blocks have "Carcinogens" and could cause tumors. Would Mazuri Rodent Breeder block be safe for indoor squirrels?
    I have good luck with the Zupreem Primate Biscuits (I know, they are for monkeys but the ingredients work for squirrels too). I use them as the very first solid that babies get when their eyes open, and then I always have a bowl full in their cage at all times later on. I supplement with one Henry Block daily, as well as high-calcium veggies. The problem with Mazuri's blocks is that very few squirrels tend to like them. I think they may have a fish-oil ingredient in there that is a turn-off to squirrels, but probably not to the rats they were intended for.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

Quote Originally Posted by island rehabber View Post
    I have good luck with the Zupreem Primate Biscuits (I know, they are for monkeys but the ingredients work for squirrels too). I use them as the very first solid that babies get when their eyes open, and then I always have a bowl full in their cage at all times later on. I supplement with one Henry Block daily, as well as high-calcium veggies. The problem with Mazuri's blocks is that very few squirrels tend to like them. I think they may have a fish-oil ingredient in there that is a turn-off to squirrels, but probably not to the rats they were intended for.
    Thanks Maura. Usually both of my Squirrels wouldn't eat any type of rodent block ,even Henry blocks as well. I have to grind them up and mix them with other food . I was really happy when i heard about Katee blocks because they were relatively cheap till i found out about the preservatives in them.

I'm glad you asked that HLS, after I saw the price difference for Henry's blocks and the Mazuri blocks, I figured I may do some research to see if the Mazuri blocks would be nutritional enough for an indoor squirrel. (I've decided I'm definitely ordering some for my dad to feed his wilds...it'll be better for them than the chips/popcorn they get now )...at least he does throw out some veggies, too though.

Quote Originally Posted by island rehabber View Post
    That is why I do the oil/peanut butter on the blocks for the wilds. They are really porous and suck that mixture up and it obviously hides the taste of them. I say obviously because I came downstairs this morning to a young juvie sitting in the middle of the bowl...which was on my kitchen counter. That window screen wasn't much of an obstacle. This will be the 3rd time I have to replace that $#@%^ screen!!

Too funny!!!!
    Annie

Most people go with Henry's even though they're expensive because they're the only ones made specifically for sqs and because you only have to give two a day whereas you have to give a ton of cheaper blocks. Some claim the cost balances out. Many people on a budget make a compromise and give one HHB a day and a large supply of cheaper blocks.

Quote Originally Posted by Abbi's Mama View Post
    I'm glad you asked that HLS, after I saw the price difference for Henry's blocks and the Mazuri blocks, I figured I may do some research to see if the Mazuri blocks would be nutritional enough for an indoor squirrel. (I've decided I'm definitely ordering some for my dad to feed his wilds...it'll be better for them than the chips/popcorn they get now )...at least he does throw out some veggies, too though.

Quote Originally Posted by farrelli View Post
    Most people go with Henry's even though they're expensive because they're the only ones made specifically for sqs and because you only have to give two a day whereas you have to give a ton of cheaper blocks. Some claim the cost balances out. Many people on a budget make a compromise and give one HHB a day and a large supply of cheaper blocks.
    My wilds wouldn't eat the Henry's blocks. I didn't add anything to them though, so they might have eaten them if I had added the oil and Peanut Butter Try that on the next batch I buy.

Quote Originally Posted by Abbi's Mama View Post
    ,, Also wild squirrels get a variety of foods unavailable to captive squirrels plus direct sunlight .micro nutrients from the soil, exercise,,ect,, . I just wanted an extra backup with the Henry blocks for my squirrels.

Sorry, I mean indoor sqs.

Quote Originally Posted by farrelli View Post
    Sorry, I mean indoor sqs.
    Understood.