Thread: trumpet vine

Default trumpet vine

Is trumpet vine safe for the squirrels?
    Original Hebrew Manuscript Text
    Genesis 1:24 And God said, Let the earth bring forth the soul of life according to its kind: the cattle, and the creepers, and it's beast of the earth, according to its kind, and it was so.
    25And God made the animals of the earth according to its kind, and cattle according to its kind, and every creeping thing of the ground according to its kind. And God saw that it was good.
    ALL SOULS belong to God. Amen

click on picture to watch wrestling video of the boys

Twins video address

Default Re: trumpet vine

Says skin irritation/allergic reactions: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/644/#b

Lots of things are bad for humans but okay for animals...but my rule of thumb is if I turn up ANY mention of toxicity to ANYTHING I do not feed or use it for housing.

It is DEFINITELY toxic to most species.. From what I recall, it contains Atropine.. A compound helpful in human pharmacy but toxic. Most trumpet or "pitcher" type plants/flowers are..
    I would Google for specifics, but I would surely NOT let any of your animals near it..

Or .. Lilly of the Valley, Belladonna/nightshade... there is a whole list..

I think the ASPCA has a listing of poisonous plants on line. I would assume if they list something as poison to a dog or cat, assume it is for a squirrel as well..

Here.. here are the ASPCA links to poison plants:

http://www.aspca.org/pet-care/animal...n-toxic-plants

http://www.aspca.org/pet-care/animal...isonous-plants

It's a good site.. they list about every danger to every species there..

The easiest way is to google "trumpet vine toxicity" - Google Images brings up photos so you know you are talking about the same plant (unless you happen to know the Latin name ) and read what they have to say.

I read trumpet flower not trumpet vine. Are we speaking of the same plant. The one I am speaking of is from the begonia family. I hope I have not made a dreadful mistake. My boys grabbed it like they had been eating it all their lives. Oh please tell me we are talking about a different plant.
    Genesis 1:24 And God said, Let the earth bring forth the soul of life according to its kind: the cattle, and the creepers, and it's beast of the earth, according to its kind, and it was so.
    25And God made the animals of the earth according to its kind, and cattle according to its kind, and every creeping thing of the ground according to its kind. And God saw that it was good.

Twins video address

The fast climbing vine, with red flowers is what I am thinking of.. I think they call it Dutchman's Pipe too... Again, I'd stay away from any "pitcher type" flowers/vines...

The one that grows here is this one:

http://homeguides.sfgate.com/poisono...nes-38852.html

I clicked on the first link and what do I see? Acorn squash!
    My etsy store is empty at the moment, but if you have seen my pieces and have a request, just let me know!

Visit my Etsy store, ScarletSquirrel to see my handmade jewelry!
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/ScarletSquirrel

Little Squirrels, Little Squirrels,

Everywhere I turn I can see them...

Little Squirrels, Little Squirrels,
    Night and day I eat, sleep and breathe them...

Someday I'll land in the Nut House,
    With all the Nuts and the Squirrels...

Wait...too late.
    Welcome to the Nut House!

That's probably due to this..

The suspected case of what health officials termed toxic squash syndrome began after a woman who ate a tiny amount of cooked acorn squash — butter and brown sugar, usually yum — developed severe intestinal discomfort.

The squash tasted very bitter, which stopped her from eating more. The bitter taste, in fact, was the telltale clue: Plants in the family Cucurbitaceae (squash, pumpkins, zucchini, cucumbers, melons and gourds) produce a bitter toxin — cucurbitacin — as a defense mechanism against insects, said Dr. Tao Sheng Kwan-Gett in the latest issue of “Epi-Log,” a communicable disease and epidemiology newsletter produced by Public Health — Seattle & King County.

Sometimes, for various reasons, a few squashes or other plants will overproduce cucurbitacin. In this case, the offending squash was traced to a local farm, wrote Kwan-Gett, but no other complaints about it came in to health officials, the Washington Department of Agriculture, the Washington Poison Center or the grocery store where the squash made its way into the woman’s shopping cart.

Here is the article:

http://blog.usfoodsafety.com/2011/07...hington-state/

Anyway.. getting off topic, but there is a lot of interesting stuff out there.. ;-)

Using common names is very problematic. There are probably a dozen "trumpet flowers" out there, each one different. Go on google, look at the pics and determine what it actually is, then check the toxicity.

It all makes my head spin. Every time I am out and I grab something I am in fear of what is good and what is not. One would assume that a squirrel that was introduced to something would instinctually know what was harmful to them. We have certain sensors that tell us what to eat and what not to eat. I wish some one could just hand me a list of yes foods. lol Sorry if I sounds so grumpy I just wish it wasn't so complicated. It was so much easier when it was just blocks and formula.

Twins video address

Trumpet vines grow in the wild. Humming bjrds love them as do most nectar lovers. These are not like trumpet plants that are toxic in some ways. Trumpet plants trap and drown their prey. Trumpet vines grow usually on the roadside climbing utility poles and fences. Not the roadside lillies. But about the same color.

Quote Originally Posted by amandaleet1972 View Post
    That's probably due to this..

The suspected case of what health officials termed toxic squash syndrome began after a woman who ate a tiny amount of cooked acorn squash — butter and brown sugar, usually yum — developed severe intestinal discomfort.

The squash tasted very bitter, which stopped her from eating more. The bitter taste, in fact, was the telltale clue: Plants in the family Cucurbitaceae (squash, pumpkins, zucchini, cucumbers, melons and gourds) produce a bitter toxin — cucurbitacin — as a defense mechanism against insects, said Dr. Tao Sheng Kwan-Gett in the latest issue of “Epi-Log,” a communicable disease and epidemiology newsletter produced by Public Health — Seattle & King County.

Sometimes, for various reasons, a few squashes or other plants will overproduce cucurbitacin. In this case, the offending squash was traced to a local farm, wrote Kwan-Gett, but no other complaints about it came in to health officials, the Washington Department of Agriculture, the Washington Poison Center or the grocery store where the squash made its way into the woman’s shopping cart.

Here is the article:

http://blog.usfoodsafety.com/2011/07...hington-state/

Anyway.. getting off topic, but there is a lot of interesting stuff out there.. ;-)
    Cucumbers will go sour due to lack of water and nutrition and as a defense to keep their seeds safe for the next season. Once they sour you mjght as well pull the plant they will not turn back. They are awful. I have bitten into more than one.

Quote Originally Posted by grampyngramy View Post
    Trumpet vines grow in the wild. Humming bjrds love them as do most nectar lovers. These are not like trumpet plants that are toxic in some ways. Trumpet plants trap and drown their prey. Trumpet vines grow usually on the roadside climbing utility poles and fences. Not the roadside lillies. But about the same color.
    Now see? You just proved out my point! Right off the top of my head, "trumpet" plant, vine or flower describes so many things! "Trumpet flower" is often either Brugmansia or Datura, both of which are fabulously beautiful and horrendously poisonous. "Trumpet plant" can be used to describe a vine with red/orange flowers OR the insectivorous plant that grows in bogs that grampngranny mentioned. All of them are completely different plants not even vaguely related to one another. I am REALLY into plants in a big way and so I know most of these and know the Latin names for most of the common house plants, and the decades of experience means I can usually hone in on what something I cant identify is just by certain characteristics. It is just one of my things! But Google has made this amazingly easy and anyone with internet access can easily and quickly do what it took me decades to learn. Google images is your friend. Find the pic, pull it up, get the name, and go back and google that for specific toxicity info.

You won't find squirrel specific info but my rule of thumb is that if something is poisonous to ANYTHING it doesn't get within 100 yards of my baby!

Well I am more confused than ever.I first looked at pictures I am also familiar with plants. When I looked up the plant it said it was from the begonia family but then when I check the poison website it said it is poisonous but the fruit of it is not toxic. This is exactly what I am speaking of. Eat the flower not the leaf, eat the leaf not the berry. It reminds me of the movie called the Devils advocate with Al Pacino.. Look but don't touch. Touch but don't taste. Taste but don't swallow. lol Sorry but Im going back to blocks and formula and the grocery store. Till some one sends me a cheat sheet.

Twins video address

Use scientific names!! This will cure confusion!

Trumpet vine (trumpet creeper) - Campsis radicans - all but fruit is toxic to humans. BUT, it is also known to cause rashes in a lot of animals. Not sure if toxic for animals if ingested.
    Trumpet plant - Brugmansia sp. or Datura sp. - toxic and hallucinogenic for many animals. Also can be known as Jimson weed.

I dont feed my inside squirrel out side wild food. His immune system is not like an out side squirrel, he does not have the know how as what is good and what is bad for him

He gets no skin on anything and no seeds from anything. He is very healthy and very happy and it is much easier this way.

Baby bok choy, cauliflower, spring mix, greens from carrot tops, Brussels sprouts, snap peas, English peas, butternut squash.

watermelon, blue berries, oranges, pears for dessert and of course HHB's

I do give him an oak branch but only after it has baked in the oven at 200 for 1/2 hour (smells good too) to kill all fungus and buggies.

Yes I treat Gio like a delicate flower, but he is my delicate flower.
    As a treat he gets an animal cracker once a week and only almonds for nuts.

Simon's video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mzpwo0r35l0

“Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened.”
    ― Anatole France

A good way to describe a plant is to describe or draw the leaves, how the leaves grow out (opposite each other, in whorls, basal, or alternate), and the number of petals in the flower.
    We live in a heaven created by our virtues --- Muktananda