Thread: Adding single Squirrel to my litter?

Default Adding single Squirrel to my litter?

I'm rehabbing 4 squirrels for an eventual soft release. They are about 10 weeks old. A friend of a friend has found a single Squirrel. I have little information about this Squirrel but from a picture sent to me he appears to be about 8 weeks old. I have been asked to temporarily take this Squirrel in until proper housing can be set up. It is my understanding that they intend to keep this Squirrel as a pet. Personally I am against this but I am willing to help out the Squirrel any way possible for any amount of time. My question is about joining him with my litter. Will my litter take him in? Are there steps I should take? Any info would be appreciated.

Default Re: Adding single Squirrel to my litter?

Their ages are close so it is possible for them to be together in the same while you have him and who
    knows maybe the owner will decide to let him stay when they see how happy he is. I would place their
    cages next to each other at first and allow them a change to get use to each other scent and you can let
    the single squirrel crawl on the outside of the cage of the other four squirrels after their cages have set
    next to each other for a day or two. The actual face to face introduction needs to be slow and in a neutral
    setting --never in either of the squirrels cages as they will be territorial and act defensively.

Swapping some bedding material for scent is also a good idea. Apparently after 8 weeks they can be really questionable about acceptance.

If they're keeping as a pet, please point them here. Firstly, they should be made away, in no small way, about what they're facing. So many people think that they'll keep one as a pet and then find out that they're too expensive, or too much work, or they don;t have enough time, etc. and then the squirrel either gets thrown outside to probably die or they beg someone to take hem from them. And if they're still into it after hearing all the bad news, they will need to properly care for them, especially with diet. I would actually make them coming here a part of your deal to accept him.

I have directed him to TSB. I have explained it is a must and he needs to be a member. I have also sent links about what squirrels grow into and the care they need. I am trying to change his mind, as I don't think he fully understands. Nor is looking ahead to his future and what is best for the Squirrel. But I will not stop trying and helping him learn what is right for the Squirrel. I will follow all your suggestions and hope for the best. Thanks.

Although I'm adamantly against the plan for this baby, I will offer this...
    If he's going to be a "pet", I would not put him in with others at all. Being with others will give a small kick start to wilding up, which will make bonding with humans a tad more difficult. And also it will be very cruel to pull him out later to live alone after being with a group of his own kind. Just my opinion.

Absolutely educate them and direct them here if the pet plan follows through.

Quote Originally Posted by bridgetole View Post
    I have directed him to TSB. I have explained it is a must and he needs to be a member. I have also sent links about what squirrels grow into and the care they need. I am trying to change his mind, as I don't think he fully understands. Nor is looking ahead to his future and what is best for the Squirrel. But I will not stop trying and helping him learn what is right for the Squirrel. I will follow all your suggestions and hope for the best. Thanks.

If you would like, I can post pictures of the damage squirrels can cause, especially when they hit the age of WANTING OUT NOW. I have chewed up furniture (they WILL chew on your best furniture), woodwork and walls, window and door frames, AND doors because of the squirrels I raised. I loved them and wouldn't change that experience for the world, but they will destroy anything they get their teeth on, including electronics. Unless something truly makes this little one a non releasable, he is better off eventually being wild. I commend you wanting to help this baby, and educate the finders, but I do hope they realize they have to be willing to change THEIR lifestyle to suit HIS.
    SQUIRRELS!! Blog for Butchie and Joey and other squirrels too

Selling handmade crocheted items to support my critters

https://www.etsy.com/shop/crochetedcreations14

Visit me on Facebook

PayPal addy sdreamcatcher@gmail.com

Pictures would be great. I can text him a link to this specific board. The advice about putting him in with my litter, and then pulling him away from his new found family, was something I was worried about.