Thread: Lil Nut has been successfully released and I have taken in another!

Default Lil Nut has been successfully released and I have taken in another!

So just 2 weeks after I successfully released my Lil Nut a new little one has entered my life! Quick update on Lil Nut, he has been out for almost a month now and doing just great!!! I purchased a squirrel condo that he slept in while living on the porch and I am happy to say since we put it up outside he has yet to not come home to it! He is always there around 8pm He still visits frequently, mostly for his henrys and snacks but hey I will take it! lol

I will try to make this long story on the not so long side .......a woman that works at a store I go to has this adorable baby squirrel in the store, on her shoulder, around tons of people and a cat! Her daughter had found some children messing with him and took the baby to her mom. At this point she had only had him 2 days so needless to say I drilled her and made sure she knew it was not an easy task. She was kind of rude and short with me looking at me like I was nuts of course. She then tells me she plans on keeping him as a pet. I told her she would surely change her mind when he gets a little older and that if he is healthy he would be happier outside. After making her just angry enough at me, I told her I had some left over formula and could bring her in some. She said she didn't need it. So i make my purchase, gave her my number in case she needed any help and wish her the best luck. (Can you sense my anger and sarcasm yet? lol) 2-3 weeks go by and I am back in that same store. She walks up to me and says OMG I was hoping you would come in soon!!! You were right and I just can't keep him any longer! I bit my tongue and did not yell I told you so!!! like I so very much wanted to. So I of course say I would be happy to take him. We meet the next day and she has him in a hamster cage!!!! A very very small cage. She had been keeping him in it the whole time and I just wanted to scream at her! Instead, I grab the cage and tell her no worries, he will have a fantastic life and home until he is ready for release. (at this point I didn't know if that would be possible) I get him home and he is terrified! Not eating or drinking, doesn't walk well (from being in a 1x1 cage I am sure) So I of course am thinking the worst! I place him in my 5x5 crate, and figure I will give him a few to adjust. Luckily, about an hour later he seems much better and not so scared. My crate is on the screened in porch so the new surroundings were a lot to take in I am sure. Ok, I forgot, I am trying to keep it short! Over all he was in better shape than I expected but not great. I am guessing him to be about 11 weeks old. In just 4 days he has starting eating his veggies, his henrys blocks and drinking out of his water dish which makes me sooooo happy! He is stashing blocks that he does not finish, and running around the porch like a happy normal squirrel! I think he is going to be just fine and will be ready for release after a few weeks. I want to make sure he gets the nutrients and calcium he needs before giving it a shot.

Ok So there is the gist of the back story now on too the question. I have posted some pics below and as ashamed to say this as I am, I am not sure what breed he is!!! I mean at first guess I would think fox because of his nose and ears. However his belly, feet and tail are pretty white. What do you guys think? To me he looks like a total mix between a fox and a gray. I have named him Fray (Fox + Gray) I have only cared for a gray before so maybe he is a fox and just looks a little different?

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  29.7 KBName:  image.jpg
Size:  36.0 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  31.7 KBName:  image.jpg
Size:  30.9 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  19.1 KB

Default Re: Lil Nut has been successfully released and I have taken in another!

The pads of his feet tell the tale...he is a FOXER...
    Black pads on feet are foxer feet... He is one beautiful little guy. It will be a while before he is ready to go though from the look of him. He looks pretty young. Is he taking formula? He could probably use it if he isn't.
    Squirrels, squirrels and more squirrels....
    Prayers for the people who make this a better world...
    savesquirrels@sbcglobal.net

Thank you so much Sammysmom!!! That is what I was thinking I just couldn't find any other pictures where they had that much white on them.

He is still taking his formula. He didn't want much of it today but I was still able to get some of it in him. He seems to prefer to drink on his own now so for his last feeding I am going to see if he will drink it from a dish vs the dropper. I figure we have at least 4-6 more weeks to go.

If you go to your local pharmacist and tell them you are nursing a "kitten", they will likely give/sell you a few 3cc syringes without the needle. It is a far better way and less likely to cause aspiration than a dropper. Of course, if he will drink a good amount from a bowl that will work too.
    Squirrels, squirrels and more squirrels....
    Prayers for the people who make this a better world...
    savesquirrels@sbcglobal.net

Congrats on the save!!!
    You'll be back up in no time little Fray!

Quote Originally Posted by SammysMom View Post
    If you go to your local pharmacist and tell them you are nursing a "kitten", they will likely give/sell you a few 3cc syringes without the needle. It is a far better way and less likely to cause aspiration than a dropper. Of course, if he will drink a good amount from a bowl that will work too.
    Thanks again! I have a bunch of them left over from Lil Nut but he just doesn't seem to like them. I tried the bowl right before bed and he drank much more from that than the syringe! Yay

Quote Originally Posted by DarkLies212 View Post
    Congrats on the save!!!
    You'll be back up in no time little Fray!
    !!! He is already doing so much better!