Thread: A few baby squirrel problems

Hybrid View

BeeWatson Guest

Default A few baby squirrel problems

Hi guys, it's been a while since I've been on here - since my last squirrel was released. Of course springtime brings baby squirrels and I had three little grey squirrel pinkies given to me about three weeks ago, they were only a few days old and fat and warm and healthy. I have fox valley from last year in the freezer and started them on that and they were doing well and developing fine - a little on the skinny side, but healthy.
    About a week and a half ago I saw a picture of a baby squirrel that seemed much fatter than my three babes so I decided to add some fat to their formula. I did a bit of research and decided on coconut oil (was this a good idea? I heard lauric acid helps produce important enzymes) and for a few days they seemed to be gaining a bit of weight. But suddenly one of my males started getting dry and peely skin so I gave him a bath thinking maybe it was from peeing on himself or something. And its only gotten worse over the past few days. Its not bleeding or anything and he doesn't seem to be in pain. I've been giving him warmed lactated ringers thinking it might be dehydration but nothing has helped. Any ideas?

Also, this morning one of his eyes opened! He doesn't seem nearly developmentally ready for that. They still have very small fur and hardly any tail fur. What is with this? Is this my fault? are they stunted? Any help is welcome.

Default Re: A few baby squirrel problems

Okay, here's the deal ot he formula. I am not sure about the skin condition being a part of this, but what has been determined to be the most well-rounded formula is 50/50 NEW Esbilac puppy powder (it says with probiotics on the can) and FV 32/40. Some are adding a touch of heavy cream, but I have not. Mine were about 5 days old when I got them and are fat and happy now at 7ish weeks. This combo seems to be working for many. The suggestion came from Chris of Chris's Squirrels and More. She is a very seasoned rehabber in CT whose opinion are very trusted.
    Squirrels, squirrels and more squirrels....
    Prayers for the people who make this a better world...
    savesquirrels@sbcglobal.net

Don't know about the coconut oil. Most people add heavy whipping cream.

Pics would help us see any problems.

I would also add the Esbilac baby powder (with probiotics) or even change over to it. People have had many complaints of late.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

BeeWatson Guest

Thank you! I will get some of that now and see if they start putting on weight!

Quote Originally Posted by BeeWatson View Post
    Hi guys,But suddenly one of my males started getting dry and peely skin so I gave him a bath thinking maybe it was from peeing on himself or something. And its only gotten worse over the past few days. Its not bleeding or anything and he doesn't seem to be in pain. I've been giving him warmed lactated ringers thinking it might be dehydration but nothing has helped. Any ideas?

Also, this morning one of his eyes opened! He doesn't seem nearly developmentally ready for that. They still have very small fur and hardly any tail fur. What is with this? Is this my fault? are they stunted? Any help is welcome.
    BAck
    Do you have them on low heat? Are they able to get to a cooler spot if they get too hot? Are you feeding them around the clock? Have you managed to weigh them? Young ones need higher protein to start off, later we add fat... are you working with a wildlife rehabilator? Glad you are here!

Pictures, please!!
    Licensed/Permitted Wildlife Rehabilator

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.