Thread: young squirrel

stacey84 Guest

Default young squirrel

I have been watching a squirrel nest for a couple if weeks now and two days ago a neighborhood cat killed the mother so me and my roommate got into the nest and found one young squirrel if there. were others we never saw them we do not know how old he is but he is eating solid food we are giving him nuts apples blackberries and coconut should we also give him formula and if so what kind is the best as i have read about a couple different types

Default Re: young squirrel

Can you post a picture so that we can determine age? I will write more in a sec about basic care. He may be too young for solids and may very much need formula.

Here's a couple helpful links:

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...IRREL-NOW-WHAT

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...DING-TECHNIQUE!!

If he's very young, he will definitely need supplemental heat, and if he needs formula, we will need to tell you how to get it. You will also have to make sure that he's hydrated.

If we can find someone in your area, would you be willing to turn him over? Caring for these guys is a full time job.

stacey84 Guest

Unfortunately i am unable to post a picture for some reason but i do not think he is to young for solids as during the last week and a half of watching the squirrel nest i saw the mother taking food back to the nest and yes i did check to see if he was hydrated and he is i have successfully raised raccoons and rabbits in the past and met others who raised squirrels i am on disabilty so i stay at home pretty much all of the time so i have plenty of time on my hands to raise him i was just wondering what type of formula out of the ones talked about was the best also i am applying to become a licensed rehabilitator so any advice would be greatly appreciated

For now, go to a pet store and get the powdered Esbilac for puppies. Make sure it lists probiotics on the label. And stop at a pharmacy and get some 1cc and 3cc syringes without needles. They pharmacist will often give them for free.

The mother probably would not have been taking food to the babies. Also they should take formula for as long as they will take it as it's good for them.

Here's a basic age guide:

http://www.squirrelsandmore.com/how-..._store=default

If you think he's six weeks or older, also pick up some Kaytee Forti-Diet rodent blocks in the blue bag. It's at 6-8 weeks that they start transitioning to solid foods. Rodent blocks are key to their diet. No nuts as they are treats only. Still, at this age they would be mostly formula.

I have to go to bed now, but please get the proper stuff for him first thing in the morning. These guys can go downhill so fast.

Someone else will tell you how to post a pic or offer to post it for you.

Once you have the Esbilac and possibly blocks, we'll tell you how to order better quality blocks and possibly also Fox Valley formula to mix with the Esbilac.

Oh, and do not offer cows milk. Just wanted to make sure.

stacey84 Guest

I decided to name the little guy lucky because he was lucky i was watching at the moment thanks for the info according to the age guide Lucky is 6-7 weeks old and no i have not given him any cows milk

If you'd like you can send a picture to me
    stepnstone08@hotmail.com and I'll post it for
    you. We can work it out so you'll know how
    to post yourself later.
    I'm kind of anxious to see the little...

As farrelli pointed out the proper nutrition for these baby's is vital!
    Even once they are eating solids, just because they'll eat it don't
    mean it's good for them or they can survive on it.

Squirrels have a nutritional balance that has to be met in order to be
    and stay healthy, and even to survive. They eat such a large variety of
    things in the wild that most people couldn't even imagine.
    Out in the wild they know what and how to eat to maintain their balance,
    as "captives" we are the one's that have to maintain that balance.
    Proper diet is key!
    Last edited by stepnstone; 04-03-2014 at 01:57 AM.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

Stacey he should if eating solids have some block and veggies.. kaytee block is great to start with and veggies and water.. can u get a pic so we can see him.. also may have only been one cause others have left nest to find food.. but may come back soo watch for them.. and at 6 or 7 weeks have some formula.. goats milk formula is what is usually used to begin with..

stacey84 Guest

I gave Lucky some carrots and cucumbers this morning he really likes the cucumbers i have been watching the nest but have not seen any others went a got some formula for him he seems to like it

Have you picked up the formula and blocks yet? Nuts and vegetables won't sustain him. He needs the proper nutrition now. He may like the cucumber because he might be thirsty, so make sure he's getting all the water he needs.

Here's a link to a healthy diet for an ADULT:

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...-Pet-Squirrels

Oh, sorry, I see you got the formula. Is it the Esbilac with probiotics? How much are you feeding him? It should be 5-7% of body weight, so if he's 100g, he'd get 5-7CCs per feeding. I think every 5-6 hours would be right for his age. Most people will also put a Kaytee block in there for him to nibble on.

Finally, we recommend that nothing else be given except formula and blocks until they are eating their blocks regularly. We find that if you introduce fruit, nuts, or even vegetables, you will have a much harder time getting them to eat their blocks later on. And blocks NEED to be the staple of their diet for good health.

Here are a coupel things you should order. The first is Fox Valley Formula. We recommend that the ideal formula now is made up of 50% Esbilac and 50% FV. The second is Henry's Blocks. They are the only ones made specifically for squirrels and provide the best nutrition. They're a bit pricier, but having a squirrel is a little pricy. (If you ever want us to find someone, just say the word.) Two blocks a day are the recommendation for an adult squirrel and a bag will last a month. In the end, they're actually about the same price as cheeper blocks like Kaytee because squirrels tend to eat these up totally and there is no waste. Also, you have to give less because the nutrition is so concentrated.

http://www.henryspets.com/fox-valley...formula-20-50/
    http://www.henryspets.com/squirrel-diet/

Oh, and if you want to email me a pic, I'll post it. I'm in most of the day. farrelli-at-rcn.com

Here's your baby...

Name:  CAM00006.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  45.0 KB

Name:  CAM00010.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  52.4 KB
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

stacey84 Guest

Yes i have both the esbilac formula with the probiotics and the blocks i ran into someone else who was buying stuff for a young squirrel and they helped me out with the blocks they gave me a bag of henrys blocks i am feeding Lucky 5 ccs every 5 hours i tried to give him some pedialyte but he didn't like it and wouldn't drink it but he is drinking water regularly and doesn't seem to have a problem with hydration

Awesome!

Super cute!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.