Thread: Sodium?

Default Sodium?

Just wondering about the sodium needs of a foxer? Yes, mine is on HHB and I'm sure he gets what he needs from that, but I ran out for a day- just got them tonight... I have no plans of feeding fries or junk food, but in a pinch just *how bad* would a handful of salted nuts or pumpkin seeds be, (if I rinsed them off)? I was afraid I might have to do that, because he was totally over veggies it seemed, even his favorite avaocado- but thankfully the blocks were waiting.
    Yeah, for the first month I had him, not knowing better I fed him nothing but unsalted nuts. I know better now but can't afford to buy the blocks in bulk.. any recommendations for if one *should* run out of "suitable" food? And is baby food bad? He likes many of them, but again, since being educated about the blocks I quit that.. What about some as a treat?

And back to sodium.. are salt licks ever recommended as for other rodents?

Thanks all.. sorry that was kind of an all over the place question..
    Last edited by amandaleet1972; 02-28-2014 at 08:46 PM. Reason: spelling

Default Re: Sodium?

NO to salted nuts. He needs to NOT be "over" veggies, he needs them. If you need to get some commercial rodent block to keep in the freezer, you can do that and be fine in a pinch.
    Squirrels, squirrels and more squirrels....
    Prayers for the people who make this a better world...
    savesquirrels@sbcglobal.net

Okay.... (hides face in hands).. I figured as much. I was just worried b/c he wasn't even eating his fave veg.. and was at a loss.. I guess he'd have given in if he got hungry enough. He won't do any other rodent block.. . I will try to keep an extra bag on hand, it's just tight $ wise, so what, rhetorically speaking would be "safe" in an emergency if one was snowed in for a week or something?

But again, is there ever a need for a salt lick? Just how much sodium do they need?

No salt lick. Veggies would be what you would give in an absolute emergency.