Thread: An update on PetAg's Esbilac

Default An update on PetAg's Esbilac

In light of the problems with formula last year, it was noted that the New Esbilac with prebiotics and probiotics was found to be an acceptable formula for baby squirrels. Several experienced rehabbers had good results with very young squirrels using this formula.

When it was first reported that this formula was giving good results I researched it to determine the difference between OLD Esbilac and the new product. I was especially interested in the organisms that were used as probiotics. It was at that time that I discovered that PetAg had been sold. The company was purchased in Nov 2013 by PBI Gordon Corporation. This company had previously purchased Lambert Kay which has products in pet health care.

I THOUGHT I had seen the NEW Esbilac formula with probiotics on their website (maybe I am mistaken). The bottom line is that the New Esbilac is NOT on their website. The only Esbilac on their website is the old formula. This concerned me due to their recent acquisition by another company. I emailed them a while back to ask about this but I did not get a reply back from them. Today I decided to call them and ask about this concern. I was told that the ONLY Esbilac being manufactured now is the formula WITH the probiotics and prebiotics. She said their website had not been updated and will be updated with a more user friendly format of the new company.

I am certain that some of the OLD Esbilac is still on the shelves in stores so if you choose to use Esbilac you still need to be vigilant to buy the new formula. The main purpose of this post is to let everyone know about PetAg being sold. Because of this, I think we need to be VERY careful buying their product this year. When companies are bought out it is very common for product lines to change. If we are watching for changes, we won't be caught 'off guard' like in the past when changes had devastating effects on wildlife babies. I will certainly be watching and the more eyes we have, the better our chances will be to catch any 'funny' business.

Default Re: An update on PetAg's Esbilac

Excellent info, Patti -- thank you so much for posting this. Lambert Kay has, to my recollection, always been a reputable company -- although I only know them from dog-related products, not baby formula. They have a high quality reputation, at least. That kind of speaks well for PBI Gordon Corp....

I am going to put a copy of this thread in the Nutrition section. We need to clarify what we are supporting this year, for pinkies especially, with regard to formula. I think we all pretty much agree that the "new Esbilac" with probiotics is the safest way to go for 1day - 4week old squirrels. After that folks are free to switch to Fox Valley or stay on the Esbilac.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

Patti thanks so much for doing that wonderful research.

Hope you are well.

Trysh

Excellent update! So well informed and useful!

Great info. It would be nice to know if the new Esbilac still has the old label. I personally have never used esbilac after I found TSB. But also, I never had major problems, like others, with pinkies on the 32/40.

I just used the GM at first. If you check out Xander's thread, I explain there exactly what I did and it worked for him. Although, I never felt I got a bad batch of 32/40.

I do love the digestibility of the GM formula, but I also love the way FV puts on weight, anyways, this is info for another thread.

Thanks for the update

FYI, what to look for on the (new) formula.

Name:  ScreenGrab-Esbilac-cansWeb.jpg
Views: 170
Size:  179.0 KB
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

Thanks H4S & everyone else for this thread.

I lost a pinky last year too from undigested FVF 32/40 and so I switched to straight Goat's Milk for the next litter. I was not happy with the GM because the babies had sparse fur and delayed growth, it was awful to watch. Those goat's milk babies did not perk up, gain significant weight, or fur until they transitioned to solids with HHB's, avacado, veges, etc. This winter I worried and asked everyone what they plan to feed pinkies this spring, and I was told about the NEW Esbilac formula.

I am a little weary using Esbilac, but desperate too. I did find the NEW Esbilac formula with the blue srtip that says prebiotics and probiotics at the very top. I also found powdered goat's milk in a can at Walmart. I keep both cans in the freezer. I got three pinkies with umbi stumps on Feb. 6th and I have been feeding them a scoop of the NEW Esbilac and a scoop of the powdered goat's milk with 3 tablespoons of bottled or boiled water. I have had them three weeks now and they are doing okay. I did have a scare with the pinky boy who got bloat. He survived but I had to keep him on gm a few more days, and now he is visibly smaller than his sisters. I have tried adding heavy cream, but they do not digest the cream yet. When I add yogurt, it seems to curdle (ick) when I put the syringes in the hot water.

I am considering weaning them to FVF once they open their eyes, because I loved the results of the old FVF (beautiful, fat, furry, little fuzz heads) but I remain caution too. Meanwhile, I am open to any suggestions from y'all and would love to hear what is working for you & your pinksters.

Gotta go feed some babies now.
    Licensed/Permitted Wildlife Rehabilator

You guys are the best!!!! All our future babies are sooo lucky that you have their backs...and feeties, and nosies, and earies, and tummies
    Make the world a better place...one animal at a time

The Peace of Wild Things
    BY WENDELL BERRY
    When despair for the world grows in me
    and I wake in the night at the least sound
    in fear of what my life and my children’s lives may be,
    I go and lie down where the wood drake
    rests in his beauty on the water, and the great heron feeds.
    I come into the peace of wild things
    who do not tax their lives with forethought
    of grief. I come into the presence of still water.
    And I feel above me the day-blind stars
    waiting with their light. For a time
    I rest in the grace of the world, and am free.