Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: PLEASE HELP********* PICKLES THE SQUIRREL***

Default PLEASE HELP********* PICKLES THE SQUIRREL***

Pickles is 7 1/2 years old. She is an eastern grey. The past 2 weeks she has really seemed to go downhill. She started out just seeming to be weak and not very motivated, i did some research (on this website ) and thought it could be the MBD. So i started her on the calcium (tums) and got her a UBV light because i have not used one of those on her. She seemed to get a little spunk in her step about 3 days after that and now she is even worse. She does not want to eat or drink now and is not even motivated to get up and move. She will move only a bit. She will just urinate where she is at. Her heart seems to be beating nice and strong but breathing seems to be a bit labored???? Could she have pneumonia? What can i do for her. I will be lost without her.I have been still givine her the tums, pedialyte so she does not get dehydrated. I am going to get some kitty formula to feed her so she will eat and have calories in her unless someone else has another suggestion? Antibiotics? where do i get them? I live in Garrett County MD and am "technically" not suppos to have her as a pet but i have had her for so long! Please someone give suggestions.

Default Re: PLEASE HELP********* PICKLES THE SQUIRREL***

Quote Originally Posted by Pickles11 View Post
    Pickles is 7 1/2 years old. She is an eastern grey. The past 2 weeks she has really seemed to go downhill. She started out just seeming to be weak and not very motivated, i did some research (on this website ) and thought it could be the MBD. So i started her on the calcium (tums) and got her a UBV light because i have not used one of those on her. She seemed to get a little spunk in her step about 3 days after that and now she is even worse. She does not want to eat or drink now and is not even motivated to get up and move. She will move only a bit. She will just urinate where she is at. Her heart seems to be beating nice and strong but breathing seems to be a bit labored???? Could she have pneumonia? What can i do for her. I will be lost without her.I have been still givine her the tums, pedialyte so she does not get dehydrated. I am going to get some kitty formula to feed her so she will eat and have calories in her unless someone else has another suggestion? Antibiotics? where do i get them? I live in Garrett County MD and am "technically" not suppos to have her as a pet but i have had her for so long! Please someone give suggestions.
    The labored breathing and lethargy could be pneumonia. Do you have any antibiotics available?

Much better than kitty formula is Ensure or Nutrical. Keep pushing hydration.

Can you describe her diet in detail?

I would keep using the MBD protocol, keep using tums and cut out all NUts from her diet. Place a heating pad on low under half her cage where she cant chew on it.

I am going to alert a rehabber in MD who may be able to assist.
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

Okay i will pick up Ensure. She was eating potatos, apples, nuts (but i will take those away)tomato, broccli, lettuce, and she would eat a small piece of the soft tortilla shells (she loved them) . But has not eaten that for 2 weeks i took that out of her diet. She has also lost a bunch of weight so that worried me too. She is peeing and pooping so i think that is a good sign. Please be in touch if you can contact someone in maryland, even if i could call and talk to them? I am so worried for her, just so attached, she is my little baby No i do not have any antibiotics, i though that i could only get them from a vet, and i do not know of any near me who will see her? How do i go about getting them? Any suggestions.

7 1/2 years and no block??
    That diet more then suggests mbd.
    Need to follow mbd protocol to the letter,
    get her on heat.
    Mbd is painful, very hard on them, harder on
    the older ones.

Sent you pm with my number.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

That is indeed a terrible diet, so hopefully we can get her back on track. Get that Ensure immediately and you also might want to pick up a tube or NutraCal at a pet store in case she doens't like the Ensure. You will also have to order some quality rodent blocks like the following:

http://www.henryspets.com/squirrel-diet/

You might try rubbing some molasses on her gums to try to get her to perk up as we have a lot of success with that. If you don;t have that, then try maple syrup, and if not that, then other syrups or even jellies.

As to antibiotics, Baytril is very common for animals and Cipro is very common for humans - both are great for squirrels and we could tell you how to dose. You'd just have to call around to try to find someone with any antibiotics. Tell us what you find. You just need one pill.

Quote Originally Posted by stepnstone View Post

Sent you pm with my number.

Yes, please call stepnstone, he will help you!

Seriously doubt pneumonia in a 7 1/2 year old.
    Antibiotics not needed for mbd.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed

Your in good hands with Step. Sending prayers for Pickles!
    Squaddy to Hanzel , The sweetest Maloccluded boy in the world, and Gem - A jewel of a squirrel, who just happens to be paralyzed!

RIP my sweet Rex . Wait for me at the Rainbow Bridge.

Have you ever known of them to get to the point where they done want to move or eat? Where can i get block at??? Reccomendations? Would something be better than the tums that i am giving her, they do not seem to disolve too well in water. Do i need to give her something with Vitamin D? Should i keep her under ubv light also? Where could i get abx to have on hand? How long do you think it will take her to get back from this since it seems to be so bad? I am so sorry for all the questions i have just been so blseed because she has been so healthy for all her life. Also, this just seemed to happen so sudden, she seemed fine one week them "bam" just so suddendly....is that normal?

Have you ever known of them to get to the point where they done want to move or eat? Where can i get block at??? Reccomendations? Would something be better than the tums that i am giving her, they do not seem to disolve too well in water. Do i need to give her something with Vitamin D? Should i keep her under ubv light also? Where could i get abx to have on hand? How long do you think it will take her to get back from this since it seems to be so bad? I am so sorry for all the questions i have just been so blseed because she has been so healthy for all her life. Also, this just seemed to happen so sudden, she seemed fine one week them "bam" just so suddendly....is that normal?
    [SIZE=3]
    Yes! ...and worse.
    Most important is the treatment for mbd,
    that is the first concern. Mbd takes alot of
    time to turn around, a day won't get it!
    Tums needs to be crushed fine then added to water and
    syringe fed.
    If mbd is not turned around it will kill her!
    [/
    SIZE]
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed

Please call stepnstone. Hopefully you are near.

As I said earlier, you just have to call around to find antibiotics to have on hand. Cipro or Baytril are great to get. You just need one or two pills.

I gave you a link to the best blocks earlier, but for right now you NEED to get to a store and get some Ensure (vanilla or pecan are popular) and ideally some Nutra-Cal. Her diet has been very bad and if she's going to make it, time is critical.

As to vitamin D, her diet has been very lacking in that as well, and all the calcium in the world won't help her without it. Unfortunately, squirrels are sensitive to D and too much will kill them. This is part of why getting the Ensure is important. Personally, if I were you, I would give her a very tiny shaving from a D3 pill, or calcium/D3 pill. Any you really do have to follow the protocol given to you.

To be honest, such cases, especially in such an old squirrel don't work out well. But if there's a chance, you need to get going with all this immediately if not sooner. You really should contact stepnstone.

MBD can strike very rapidly. Squirrels appear fine and then show their sickness very suddenly. That is the way it happens.

You can get blocks as well as a MBD treatment package at:

http://www.henryspets.com/mbd-treatment-kit/

Tums are fine. Many squirrels like the fruit flavored Tums. Be carful with vit D, in large amounts it is toxic to squirrels, so Tums are better.

You probably will not need ABs, since this is most likely MBD. If Pickels also has pneumonia, you can get ABs from friends, family (single pill is all you need). We can help with dosing direction. There are other ways to get them as well but we can cross that bridge when we have to if this is needed.

The single most important thing is to strictly follow the MBD protocol to the letter. No delays. It is the difference between death/being paralyzed and recovering.
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

Pickles11 did call, she is at work.
    She will get what she needs and be back in touch
    once home. I just pray her baby is able to hold on
    to get through this.
    As I explained to her, this is not sudden, it is just
    that her baby can no longer hide it.

Please send out the tsb prayers, this little will need
    all the positive energy we can muster.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed

Quote Originally Posted by stepnstone View Post
    Pickles11 did call, she is at work.
    She will get what she needs and be back in touch
    once home. I just pray her baby is able to hold on
    to get through this.
    As I explained to her, this is not sudden, it is just
    that her baby can no longer hide it.

Please send out the tsb prayers, this little will need
    all the positive energy we can muster.
    As always, thank you for reaching out and helping.
    Many prayers being sent for a full recovery.
    Did you tell her to get infant ibuprophen?
    I'm sure you did.

If she could leave early, it would be advisable.

Feel better sweet Pickles Check the nutrition section for when she feels more like eating.

Thank you to everyone who has helped me and who is praying for her!!!!!!!!! I am going to do everything that i can. I hope that we can pull through this!! I will certainly keep everyone posted!!! Keep praying, i am!!

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy in New York View Post
    As always, thank you for reaching out and helping.
    Many prayers being sent for a full recovery.
    Did you tell her to get infant ibuprophen?
    I'm sure you did.
    Yes I did, along with limiting her area to avoid falls.
    She is using a heating pad.
    The problem with why there was improvment and
    then got bad again was the protocol was not followed
    through long enough and nuts were still being fed which
    just makes any treatment counter productive.
    We know understanding is hard when one has had
    a squirrel this long and assume they are healthy
    when in actuality they are not.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast