Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I found a squirrel-NOW WHAT?

Default I found a squirrel-NOW WHAT?

Hi! I'm Gussie! I have been a vet assistant for ten years but I admit total ignorance about the baby squirrel I found three weeks ago. I got some advice from a re-habber and it seems too late on a couple of levels to release him so I will be keeping him. He is approx. 9 or 10 weeks old and is a Red squirrel. He badly needs a bigger cage ( currently in an aquarium). Advice please?! I do know that the Reds can be extra naughty.......Thanks!!........Gussie

Default Re: I found a squirrel-NOW WHAT?

Just pointed someone in this direction who knows red very well. Thanks for helping him! Can you tell us a bit about him? What and how much/often are you feeding?
    Squirrels, squirrels and more squirrels....
    Prayers for the people who make this a better world...
    savesquirrels@sbcglobal.net

Quote Originally Posted by Gussie View Post
    Hi! I'm Gussie! I have been a vet assistant for ten years but I admit total ignorance about the baby squirrel I found three weeks ago. I got some advice from a re-habber and it seems too late on a couple of levels to release him so I will be keeping him. He is approx. 9 or 10 weeks old and is a Red squirrel. He badly needs a bigger cage ( currently in an aquarium). Advice please?! I do know that the Reds can be extra naughty.......Thanks!!........Gussie
    to TSB Gussie
    What kind of advice would a (real) rehabber give you outside over wintering that makes you say: "too late on a couple of levels to release him so I will be keeping him." ??
    After that question, please explain the diet you are feeding him and we can start there...

over winter him or maybe someone on here will be willing to do so for you trust me he probably is not going to make a good pet squirrel want to be wild lots of people here build their own cages others have large bird cages and such some give them bedrooms. i am sure soon some more experienced members will respond. wild releasable squirrels dont make good pets usually they want to be free playing in the wild most of us that have "Pet" squirrels are because they are non releasables they would die on their own because there are things wrong with them

What kind of advice are you looking for exactly?
    Yes, even when he is ready to be released (approx. 14 weeks), it would be too late in the season to release him. You have to overwinter and release in the spring. Is that what you mean by "keep him"? You mean you are going to overwinter? Or do you mean you are planning to keep him forever? If you are planning to keep him forever, why? Does he have an issue that makes him non-releasable?

Do you have pictures? And what are you feeding him right now? Thanks for saving the little one!

Yes, diet is super critical. I hope he's still on a good formula like Fox Valley or the NEW Esbilac with probiotics (the other kinds are crap). We can also tell you how to make a temporary goat's milk formula. Kitten formula and the link are wrong. Here's a link to adult diet:

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...(Revised-2-13)

And yes, he definately needs a lot more room. I hope you letting him out of that aquarium most of the time. You can get good cages on Craigslist, Freecycle cans such.

I have taken squirrels in from other people when they were 9 months old and was able to
    wild them up in three months time --then set them FREE into the WILD!! --so your little
    red has a good chance of being set free as long as he doesnt have any deformities or
    ailments that prevents a release in Spring.

Quote Originally Posted by SammysMom View Post
    Just pointed someone in this direction who knows red very well. Thanks for helping him! Can you tell us a bit about him? What and how much/often are you feeding?
    He is about 9 weeks old. He is on Esbilac/water/heavy cream formula now once daily (got the recipe from a re-habber). He gets HHBs daily (thanks to this site for recommending that!). He is in great health. Another re-habber I contacted said he wouldn't be socialized to other squirrels and couldn't be released for that reason in the spring. Personally I think he will not be happy in a cage-he is already hyper in the aquarium, definitely needs something bigger! I really need some expert advice. Thanks!....Gussie

Quote Originally Posted by Rhapsody View Post
    I have taken squirrels in from other people when they were 9 months old and was able to
    wild them up in three months time --then set them FREE into the WILD!! --so your little
    red has a good chance of being set free as long as he doesnt have any deformities or
    ailments that prevents a release in Spring.
    I am so glad to read this-I really think he will be miserable in a cage! He is in fabulous health right now but that could change. Thanks-now I need to know how to "wild' him up (when spring comes) and what type of housing is best in the meantime......Gussie

Well, my advise would be to get him into a larger cage. Aquariums are not great as squirrels need to be able to climb and the glass is just not great for that
    Are you using the new "with probiotics" Esbilac? If not, you want to switch to that immediately. Is he eating veggies and other foods?

Quote Originally Posted by farrelli View Post
    Yes, diet is super critical. I hope he's still on a good formula like Fox Valley or the NEW Esbilac with probiotics (the other kinds are crap). We can also tell you how to make a temporary goat's milk formula. Kitten formula and the link are wrong. Here's a link to adult diet:

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...(Revised-2-13)

And yes, he definately needs a lot more room. I hope you letting him out of that aquarium most of the time. You can get good cages on Craigslist, Freecycle cans such.
    He is on a recipe I got from a re-habber-Esbilac (the good one)/water/heavy cream and HHBs. I can't get him to eat any veggies or fruits, but he is doing very well! Part of my problem with the housing is that I can't let him out. Lots of other animals in the house. I need to invest in a BIG cage-any suggestions on what kind?

Well, my advise would be to get him into a larger cage. Aquariums are not great as squirrels need to be able to climb and the glass is just not great for that
    Are you using the new "with probiotics" Esbilac? If not, you want to switch to that immediately. Is he eating veggies and other foods?
    He is getting the new Esbilac,yes, a recipe from a re-habber made with water and a little heavy cream. Also he loves the HHBs. He is refusing veggies right now but I keep trying. I am ready to buy a cage for him and it will be a few dollars I'm sure so I thought I would ask the experts! I am still hoping I can release him in the spring-one of the re-habbers I contacted said no due to lack of socialization with other squirrels.

I would look on Craig's list and/or freecycle.org first and see what is around you. If buying new, I just got a great Martin's cage that was just under $270 with shipping.
    It was "The Penthouse" at http://www.martinscages.com/products/cages/ferret/

Quote Originally Posted by stepnstone View Post
    to TSB Gussie
    What kind of advice would a (real) rehabber give you outside over wintering that makes you say: "too late on a couple of levels to release him so I will be keeping him." ??
    After that question, please explain the diet you are feeding him and we can start there...
    I believe the problem was that he would not be socialized with other squirrels. I would love to release him in the spring, believe me. I can already tell he has too much energy to be happy confined. At any rate, I do need to buy something he can spend the winter in as far as a cage so I am asking the experts! I have so many other animals that letting him out to play will be a problem. He is getting Esbilac/water/heavy cream formula once daily and HHBs....Gussie

I would look on Craig's list and/or freecycle.org first and see what is around you. If buying new, I just got a great Martin's cage that was just under $270 with shipping.
    It was "The Penthouse" at http://www.martinscages.com/products/cages/ferret/
    Thanks, I will check that out.....Gussie

I suggest you find a rehabber who has an enclosure for 'soft-release' and other reds to release in the spring. You could do that now (which would be best since it seems you don't have a lot of room at the Inn ) but you have all winter. Ideally, you'd want to get him in an enclosure with other reds as soon as possible, for as long as possible.

Got any pictures of the little guy? Has anyone mentioned how much we love pictures?

sid'smommy Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Fireweed View Post
    I suggest you find a rehabber who has an enclosure for 'soft-release' and other reds to release in the spring. You could do that now (which would be best since it seems you don't have a lot of room at the Inn ) but you have all winter. Ideally, you'd want to get him in an enclosure with other reds as soon as possible, for as long as possible.

Got any pictures of the little guy? Has anyone mentioned how much we love pictures?
    I agree. ^^ The sooner you find a rehabber to take him, the better. He needs to socialize with other Reds. As much as you would like to be his best friend, it will do him more harm than good. And when it comes time to release, his outcome you may never know.... and it leaves a big empty spot in your heart. Best for both of you that he learns who his kin is, and skills to survive, long before spring

Amazon also has big cages (search squirrel cages and ferret cages) that are at reasonable prices and if you have amazon prime (or know someone who does) then you can get free shipping on them. Is there a room you could put him in without other animals where he can get out and stretch his legs? Or put the other animals up so that he can run for at least an hour or 2 a day?

Quote Originally Posted by Gussie View Post
    I believe the problem was that he would not be socialized with other squirrels. I would love to release him in the spring, believe me. I can already tell he has too much energy to be happy confined.
    That's utter garbage! Don't know why a "rehabber" would even say that!
    It's ideal to raise them with a sibling, not always possible. They still do just fine after going through the proper stages of soft release. They will "wild up!"

I have/had a little dude that was raised single, over wintered way past his age of release. He always exhibited he wanted to be free and is the man of the forest out there! He's done just fine and makes me proud every time I see him!

edit: Just saw he was a red, I only have experence with the greys, my bad.
    They could be different with needing a socialization process.

Quote Originally Posted by stepnstone View Post

edit: Just saw he was a red, I only have experence with the greys, my bad.
    They could be different with needing a socialization process.
    I agree with step - singletons can be released! I only know reds but regardless I really think MOST squirrels can be raised and released as singletons if done right. If you've got the time and means and cages and Release cage etc. to release a singleton, I think most of them can wild up and learn while in the release cage enough to do just fine on their own. But ideally I think ALL squirrels would do better if given the chance to be raised and released with others. They learn SO MUCH from each other. So, that's why I suggest finding other reds for this little one. Gussie, you can definitely release this little one as a singleton - as long as it is in a red-squirrel zone! But for this little red's BEST chance - why not overwinter him with others if at all possible? JMO. No matter what you decide, Gussie, I really do think your little red is releasable if he's healthy in the spring. The slow-release process, when done correctly, will help him to wild up and learn from the environment and other squirrels he sees.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast