Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Question about Homemade HHB'S

Default Re: Question about Homemade HHB'S

Oh and the easiest way I get the dough out of the bowl, because it is very sticky. I cover my hands with coconut oil and have a pile of wheat flour there, and I gradually work the ball out of the bowl with a fork dusting it with wheat flour and working the edges out with a fork, dust, work, etc.... then it comes out in a nice non sticky ball which can be kneading on a surface with coconut oil, and coconut oil covered hands. And it won't stick to the baking pan either.

jbillings Guest

They get better and easier every time I make them! Thanks for all the help! I have a batch in the oven now and it smells yummy!

i just made CHB's (carlas healthy blocks) i ground some blocks up with pumpkin and some veggies and baked it and gabby is lovin it =)

jbillings Guest

That's a great idea! I'll have to try that

I followed the recipe and converted the grams to cups and so forth. I also made it with the wheat flour and tweaked a few other things but they came out just like Henry's blocks. Better than the first time and the vitamins ARE a must and Henry's has the best mix of vitamins and Pure Protein Isolate. The whey you get at the store doesn't have the amount of protein that Henry's has.
    The first two pictures are my first attempt at making the blocks and without the wheat flour. Notice how hard and brittle they were. My little nuts still ate them.
    Name:  20131017_174021.jpeg
Views: 139
Size:  323.9 KBName:  20131017_174247.jpeg
Views: 145
Size:  393.4 KB

This photo is my second and successful batch with the wheat flour. I only baked these 1 hour instead of the 1 and a half hours the recipe called for. I formed it into a loaf before I baked it. They are very dense but not dried out. Name:  20131026_204309.jpeg
Views: 137
Size:  265.6 KB

They look great!

Thanks, If we only had one "Nut" I would probably order from Henry's but because we have three it keeps the cost down, and I just love doing it for them.

jbillings Guest

I hear ya! I have 10! Couldn't do Henry's anymore! I make a fresh batch every 2 weeks! Expensive little boogers!

Yes but a labor of love. They are like having toddlers. They are jumping all over me as I'm typing.

Default Home made blocks?

I made blocks and they loved them but they don't look like every one elses.At what age do you need to stop with the growth recipe and go to the regular on with only 80 gms of whey? And when you do that don't the blocks get smaller less product? I made one terrible mistake. I had them on the pan and realized i had forgotten an ingredience so I put it back in the bowl and added it. I forgot to grease my pan again. Well needless to say I had to literally scrape it out of the pan. Sand blasting would have been easier. I think parchment paper is the way to go here.They aren't as dark. I wish the recipe was convert to oz. Am I correct there are 28 grams to an ounce. You know in the gold business it is 31.1grs to an oz. so I have to have a refresher.
    Original Hebrew Manuscript Text
    Genesis 1:24 And God said, Let the earth bring forth the soul of life according to its kind: the cattle, and the creepers, and it's beast of the earth, according to its kind, and it was so.
    25And God made the animals of the earth according to its kind, and cattle according to its kind, and every creeping thing of the ground according to its kind. And God saw that it was good.
    ALL SOULS belong to God. Amen

click on picture to watch wrestling video of the boys

Twins video address

Default Re: Home made blocks?

Quote Originally Posted by Madamelipstick View Post
    I made blocks and they loved them but they don't look like every one elses.At what age do you need to stop with the growth recipe and go to the regular on with only 80 gms of whey? And when you do that don't the blocks get smaller less product? I made one terrible mistake. I had them on the pan and realized i had forgotten an ingredience so I put it back in the bowl and added it. I forgot to grease my pan again. Well needless to say I had to literally scrape it out of the pan. Sand blasting would have been easier. I think parchment paper is the way to go here.They aren't as dark. I wish the recipe was convert to oz. Am I correct there are 28 grams to an ounce. You know in the gold business it is 31.1grs to an oz. so I have to have a refresher.
    You can use your gram scale to measure the dry ingredients and then you don't have to convert.
    I believe they continue to get the growth formula until age they are 6 months old.
    Licensed/Permitted Wildlife Rehabilator

Default Re: Home made blocks?

Funny that would mean I would have to carry my scales down stairs.Oh yeah and wash them too. No actually it is because my scale is not a kitchen scale. It is for diamonds so the top is not that large of an area. But I got your point.
    Quote Originally Posted by Saverywood View Post
    You can use your gram scale to measure the dry ingredients and then you don't have to convert.
    I believe they continue to get the growth formula until age they are 6 months old.
    Original Hebrew Manuscript Text
    Genesis 1:24 And God said, Let the earth bring forth the soul of life according to its kind: the cattle, and the creepers, and it's beast of the earth, according to its kind, and it was so.
    25And God made the animals of the earth according to its kind, and cattle according to its kind, and every creeping thing of the ground according to its kind. And God saw that it was good.
    ALL SOULS belong to God. Amen

click on picture to watch wrestling video of the boys

Twins video address

Ridelikeagirl Guest

Where are these recipes? Boo Balls and HHB's?

We finally got our protein and vitamins from Henry's today (only $75 including shipping to Indonesia for 5 months supply, which I think is a bargain to keep Naiki healthy)

I'm going to need to get a bit creative to get them into him, because

1. We have no access to an oven
    2. He's very small, and just the daily vitamins and protein is bulky
    3. He hates nuts. All nuts. Have tried so many and can't find a single one he doesn't discard in disgust.

For today only I've mashed his favourite things, banana and raspberry conserve, and added the vitamins and protein to that. He's eating it of course, but it's too much for him, and not good for him either (he won't have any room left in his wee belly for enough papaya to balance it out!)

So, any nut free, cooking free, itty bitty tropical squirrel recipes on hand?

Sorry if this is hijacking and the wrong place to post this, I'm still trying to work out whether to start new threads or contribute to others...
    Naiki the plantain squirrel from Bali

Had a forehead slap moment and tried to edit post but was too late when my husband asked why I don't just mash it in with the papaya, which I will try tomorrow.

Should I change the dose of vitamins and proteins because he's so small? The recommended protein dose of 2 teaspoons seems like a lot. Looks bigger than his stomach must be!

I haven't tried the recipe before, but you should know that since we are based in the US and the most numerous squirrel we have here are the Eastern Grays, which are larger than your little guy - 1 to 2 pounds at maturity. You may need to adjust your amounts based on that.

I strongly suggest you send a note to Leigh, the woman who owns Henry's. The email is on their site, and she is a member here posting as "4skwerlz" so you can also PM her. I know she will be happy to answer your specific questions - she formulated this food and knows more about it than any of us do!

Thanks CM. I'll send a PM to Leigh to get more info about dosing

Great idea CM!
    I would also suggest that you send her some idea of his weight. I know you don't have access to a scale, but in any of your research did it mention what the normal weight of a plantain squirrel is? You could send her that info.
    Also had a thought about the " nut " problem. Does he eat sunflower seeds, or sesame seeds or any kind of seed that grows there? Perhaps that could be exchanged for the nuts, you might need to modify the amount, but if it is part of his regular diet, it might be a possibility.
    I would also mention this to Leigh.
    Do you have a refrigerator, to keep them in? And maybe you could ask a local baker if you could pay him to use his oven, once a month?
    Good luck!

Those dancing/stomping guys are supposed to be crittermom! I abbreviated her name and got them! I was shocked, but they are kinda cute. Here's to you critter mom!

I've just been talking to my husband Doug (who is HOME, at least for a week, yay!) and now he says he thinks he remembers seeing some kitchen scales. He's going to go and take a look tomorrow, so I'll wait to talk to Leigh in the hopes I'll get a weight for my little guy.

We tried him with sunflower seeds and he sniffed them once and pushed them aside We haven't found sesame seeds yet. I showed our housekeeper and she said she's never seen them, but there are some gourmet places we can try.

He ate palm nuts the first time I gave them to him (the squirrels in the yard eat those all the time, and plantain squirrels are considered a pest in oil palm plantations because of this) but he hasn't touched them since. I think maybe they are good food but don't taste so great, and he won't eat them now that he is fat and spoiled

Oh - and we have a fridge, so we can keep everything nice and cool. My husband also found some pure calcium tabs when he was in Australia so we have them on hand for emergencies.

I was also trying to say CritterMom, hehe

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.