Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: We found a sweet little man! A few Questions...

Christie189 Guest

Default Re: We found a sweet little man! A few Questions...

He is curled up next to his rice buddy right now. I made it yesterday afternoon, and he really likes it. When I first put it into his cage and it's nice and warm, he curls up next to it and starts rooting. Doesn't matter that he has/had just eaten. He still roots. Probably all the warmth and comfort.

I was going to ask. How much should a wee little one at this age be poo'ing? I stimulate his "goods" after each meal. He pees A LOT. But he hasn't poo'ed since yesterday evening around 5:00 pm. I tried and tried in the middle of the night and this morning. He did poo a lot before 5:00 pm yesterday, about 4 times throughout the day.

On another note, I went back outside this morning and looked for more babies. No sign of any. I see the nest way high up in the tree, but I haven't seen ANY squirrel action around the tree at all. I've even thrown a few unsalted peanuts around the base of the tree yesterday afternoon. No takers, not even this morning. It's so odd how we found this little guy at the base of the tree, all alone and there is no sign of life out there now. It baffles us, but I am sure stranger things have happened.

He is really getting the hang of feeding time! I think the new formula smell and taste is wearing on him. The minute I take him out and put the nipple to his mouth, his little hands start going crazy. I started the 2:1 last night and that is where I really seen his appetite increase, plus he seems to be a bit spunkier towards eating now. Coincidence? Or he just likes the taste a bit better now?

Thanks again everyone!

Gabe Guest

"Got milk?"

As a rule it takes wildlife 3 days to make the adjustment to the new formula, smell and feel of the nipple. I would be happy with one poo per day. Were they extremely tiny dry little pellets yesterday? He could still be working out being a little dehydrated. Give it time, he will poo soon enough for you. Then we will be hearing how he is pooing on your shoulder, down your back, on your lap....

Christie189 Guest

Thanks, Gabe. His poo is tiny, dark little pellets. He just went poo after his last feeding so I think all is well! Ah, poo all over. Not sure I'm ready for that.

TexanSquirrel Guest

What a face!

Christie189 Guest

I just wanted to double check, this little man is a grey squirrel, right? I could be wrong...

He sure looks like a little grey to me.....if he were a foxer those cute paws would be orange.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

Christie189 Guest

Thank you! I was 95% sure, as that is all we've seen around our yard and neighborhood. I've been on the hunt for more siblings but no luck. I've searched our backyard at least 20 times now, at all hours of the day/evening. I hope that mama is somewhere taking care of them, and not dead. That'd make me so sad. I still haven't seen a sign of mama squirrel either. That has me worried, as I am sure she would be around somewhere, since we found him in our backyard. Very weird.

This little man is doing well. Eating great and really getting the hang of feeding time. He is so frantic when he loses his nipple. He starts bobbing his head all over the place, sniffing and his cute little paws start flopping all over the place. It's hilarious. All it takes now is one little smell of his milk and he is ready to eat!

I'll share some more pictures this evening. I've gotten some cute ones!

squirrelsrule&bunniestoo is offline Licensed rehabber specializing in squirrels and bunnies, Ohio

Sounds like he is doing great! I can't wait to see the pictures of him. I am sure they are very cute!
    SQUIRRELS RULE AND BUNNIES TOO!

drakkonia Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Christie189

On another note, I went back outside this morning and looked for more babies. No sign of any. I see the nest way high up in the tree, but I haven't seen ANY squirrel action around the tree at all. I've even thrown a few unsalted peanuts around the base of the tree yesterday afternoon. No takers, not even this morning. It's so odd how we found this little guy at the base of the tree, all alone and there is no sign of life out there now. It baffles us, but I am sure stranger things have happened.
    Do you think that something could've brought your little guy into your yard, and that's why you don't see any other squirrels? You said you have a cat, right? Maybe that nest you see is abandoned. I have a wild mommy in the woods behind me with babies around three weeks of age, and she has only been leaving the nest once a day in the late afternoon. And when she comes out she is HUNGRY and usually comes straight to my back door for food.

Christie189 Guest

Squirrelsrule&bunniestoo, may I ask your name? You've been so helpful and I just love those little sweeties in your sig!

Christie189 Guest

We must have posted at the same time!
    Do you think that something could've brought your little guy into your yard, and that's why you don't see any other squirrels? You said you have a cat, right?
    That could very well be the case. But he didn't look at all like he had been attacked by a cat, or any other animal for that matter. He is as healthy as can be. We do have a cat, he is outside 90% of the time and I've never seen him attack a squirrel or anything else in our yard. He sits and watches them from time to time. And there has been times when we've had at least 10-12 wilds hanging around the base of the tree, eating the goodies I leave out. Our cat (Pinky) has never showed aggression towards them. We've tried and tried to make him a strictly indoors cat and he wanted NO part of it.

There is a nest in the tree in our backyard, but no squirrel action. I can see the nest from our kitchen window and I've been watching like crazy. Nothing. We are real close with our neighbors next door and I've checked out there yard as well, no luck. They only have 2 trees and no nests there. It puzzles us, but at least I found the little sweetie before anything happened. I can't help but think there is more, somewhere, maybe even in that nest in the tree out back. I've been tempted to have my husband pull out the BIG ladder and see if he can get up there. There isn't much for climbing because when we had the terrible ice storms (2 of them) this past winter, it really wrecked havoc on our trees/property. Not sure if we should do that or not... Worth a thought though. I'd hate to think they are up there starving when I could provide warm milk and a warm bed, with a little comfort. I'd think if mama squirrel was around, I'd see her running up and down the tree from time to time, but we haven't. I don't even think that our ladder is tall enough. It's rather high up there! Which leads me to believe that if this little guy had fallen, he would have certainly had injuries? I don't know, I am still rather new to this.

drakkonia Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Christie189
    I've been tempted to have my husband pull out the BIG ladder and see if he can get up there. (
    This sounds like something I would do! Or I should say, make my husband do.

Christie189 Guest

I sure as heck won't be doing it. I'd break a leg or two in the process. Me + Trees don't mix. HA!

squirrelsrule&bunniestoo is offline Licensed rehabber specializing in squirrels and bunnies, Ohio

My name is Lynn. Glad I could be of some help to you with the little guy.
    It is surprising how far they can fall without getting hurt! All of my squirrels except last years litter of pinkies fell from the tree and none of them had a scratch on them (well Zippy's tail has something wrong with it but it isn't from the fall).
    How much does your little guy weigh today?
    SQUIRRELS RULE AND BUNNIES TOO!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.