Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: We found a sweet little man! A few Questions...

Default Re: We found a sweet little man! A few Questions...

How long has he been taking the formula diluted now?

Pa. licenced Rehabber

squirrelsrule&bunniestoo is offline Licensed rehabber specializing in squirrels and bunnies, Ohio

If he has been on the three to one since you got him 2 days ago, then yes he is ready to switch to two parts water to 1 part powder. I usually keep them on 4:1 for 1 day then switch to 3:1 for one day then switch to 2:1 and stay there, you never want to go to 1:1, it is too much for him and he will get bloated.
    Sounds like he is doing good. Once he starts sucking down the milk good and you can get the maximum amount into him (5-6 ccs) you only have to feed him 4 times a day. Just keep an eye on his weight as long as he is gaining, he is doing good, if he is remaining the same weight that is ok for the first few days, but if he is losing then you need to increase the amount per feeding or the number of feedings. Good luck with him and yes, we all love pictures, so keep them coming!
    SQUIRRELS RULE AND BUNNIES TOO!

acorniv Guest

I thought of something else (aren't I the expert after 2 weeks?). Your nose will let you know if he is getting diarrhea. He should be virtually odorless, but if he starts smelling like a bat cave then his tummy is hurting. He may simply have eaten too much or too fast, or other problems, in which case I know you will ask.

I started really noticing the odor when mine got the runs, and it has a strong chalky odor - like they are spilling calcium. That can't be good, given how much they need.

Mine will not eat near what is recommended - she seems to have a small or sensitive tummy.

laurel

Christie189 Guest

He has been taking the diluted formula since we found him. After we found him, we checked to see if he was dehydrated and he didn't seem it at all. We did the skin pinch test and all seemed well. So we went ahead and fed him the 3:1 and that is all he has had so far. Next feeding I will start the 2:1 and see how he does. He just ate 3:1 at 7:30pm and he had 3 ccs. He seems to not be much interested after that amount, or a little over. He falls back asleep and stops suckling/rooting. Lazy little boy. He seems to eat small amounts at a time which means he is hungry every 2-3 hours. That is OK, I don't mind feeding the little sweetie. It is indeed one of my favorite times. His little whines and suckles. Awwwwww! I just follow his lead!

I will be sure to keep an eye on his weight. I plan on weighing him tomorrow morning!

Gosh, what would I do without this amazing place?

Buddy'sMom Guest

He's adorable! And it sounds like you are doing great!

is there a nest in the tree you were searching around? have you seen any dead squirrels nearby lately? it's possible that he just fell out of the nest or something. though, you know, always keep an eye out.

his tummy should be like a slightly deflated balloon when you (gently) push on it after feeding. there should be tension, but it should give to a slight push.

oh, and uh, i'm starting to think he's a boy.
    :bounce2thundersquirrel:bounce2

Christie189. Your baby boy is beautiful and has a very quick learner for a mommy. You are doing a great job.

acorniv Guest

Isn't 3 cc's good for this age? My 8 (approx) weeker has to have missed a meal to take 8 cc's now, and that is pushing it. When we found her 2 weeks ago, at about a week older than yours, she could only take maybe 2 at a feeding. She feeds 5 times a day, now, and I think it will be a while until she can do fewer because her little tummy is full on less than most her age get. She does get a little solid food though. The first two nights we had her, I got up every 3 hours to feed her, because she was emaciated and could not take much at one feeding. My family brought her home all excited and I took one look, and thought - this does not look good, but we've made it this far

Island Rehabber told me they should feel like a day old balloon around the middle after a meal. Maternal instinct tells me this is a much better measure than the number of cc's, because individuals will vary as to what their capacity is.

What does your little boy *feel* like? Is his tummy nice and round, but not hard, and does that roundness go away by next feeding?

You have mentioned how much he sleeps several times. How much does a baby this age normally sleep? I know with kittens they basically only sleep and eat until their eyes open, so that would be normal. Maternal instinct ( again) tells me that nature would not have blind animals romping around 20 feet up in a tree. Sleeping seems totally appropriate to me, but then I am new to squirreldom.

Laurel

acorniv Guest

Quote Originally Posted by thundersquirrel

oh, and uh, i'm starting to think he's a boy.
    Ya think? That little guy confirmed definitively that mine is a girl! Great photo Christie, Would you let it be archived so puzzled parents can figure out what they've got?

HEY! Do any of you have squirrels that look at the photos on the computer? Mine always looks at my screen, and seems to want to get up there, but I never thought she might be reacting to your photos of other squirrels! Today she discovered mirrors though, and woofed with excitement

Laurel

TexanSquirrel Guest

Yep, it's a boy, and a handsome one at that! *muah!*

Smile Re: We found a sweet little man! A few Questions...

Christie189, he is so cute.

Christie189 Guest

5:00 am feed and I am so tired. He is eating like a champ! Takes those 2 front feet and holds the syringe. Boy, he is feisty when I attempt to pull away. With all his little whines, grunts and groans. He knows what he wants!

All done now. Time to hit the pillow again.

squirrelsrule&bunniestoo is offline Licensed rehabber specializing in squirrels and bunnies, Ohio

I think 3 cc is good for a start and if you want to feed him every 3 hours, than that is the amount he should take. If you want to feed every 6 hours (4 times a day) like I do than you should try to get him to take 5-6 cc. It is personal preference. I have to work from 6:00 AM- 2:30 PM so mine has to go a while without eating. It is just easier for me to feed her just 4 times a day and since she can hold the 5-6 cc (I am sure yours can too) then it works out best for me. It is up to you, 3 cc every 3 hours or 6 cc every 6 hours, I don't think it makes any difference. Keep up the good work, sounds like you have done your homework! Oh, and sorry, I forgot to send you the amount that he can hold at different weights, I will send it this afternoon after work.

Christie you're getting good, sound advice here and you're doing great. Just two little things to remember:
    although baby squirrels sleep a LOT before their eyes open, they are still squirmy and active sometimes, especially while crawling around trying to find their siblings or their mom. Safe inside a squirrel's nest there isn't much room for them to crawl around in, but we tend to keep them in larger spaces. So ALWAYS keep a lid on the container he's in, so your baby can't blindly wander off. It happens a lot, and babies get hurt that way.

Also, although foxers and greys are similar in their development, they're not exactly the same and greys will eat less and weigh less than a foxer. So use any charts that refer to baby foxers as a 'general suggestion'....foxers can weigh twice as much as greys once they're full grown, so we're not talking about exact numbers here.

Keep up the great work!
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

The chart I have suggessts feeding amount based on weights, so it should be good for both foxers and greys right? I used it with my black squirrels and they did great! It sounds like he is eating the right amount too, you are doing great with the little guy, Christie!

Quote Originally Posted by squirrelsrule&bunniestoo
    The chart I have suggessts feeding amount based on weights, so it should be good for both foxers and greys right? !
    Yup -- sounds perfect.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

Twirly Squirly Squirrel Guest

Christie, and to that adorable baby boy! Good luck with him, he sure is a cutie! And sr&btoo, you've got yourself a cute little girly girl there! Kisses to both!

Quote Originally Posted by island rehabber

although baby squirrels sleep a LOT before their eyes open, they are still squirmy and active sometimes, especially while crawling around trying to find their siblings or their mom. Safe inside a squirrel's nest there isn't much room for them to crawl around in, but we tend to keep them in larger spaces. So ALWAYS keep a lid on the container he's in, so your baby can't blindly wander off. It happens a lot, and babies get hurt that way.

i'll add to what IR said with a suggestion. have you ever heard of a rice buddy? just fill a sock with dry rice, tie it off, and microwave it for 30-45 seconds. if it's very hot you can wrap it in a towel, but don't burn the rice. babies that are alone really appreciate a rice buddy to snuggle with. it feels like they're not alone.
    :bounce2thundersquirrel:bounce2

acorniv Guest

Quote Originally Posted by thundersquirrel
    i'll add to what IR said with a suggestion. have you ever heard of a rice buddy? just fill a sock with dry rice, tie it off, and microwave it for 30-45 seconds. if it's very hot you can wrap it in a towel, but don't burn the rice. babies that are alone really appreciate a rice buddy to snuggle with. it feels like they're not alone.
    And a mirror! what we really need is for someone to invent furry mylar cloth
    so everytime he looks at his rice buddy, he sees a familiar face!

I want to add to what IR said abut their boxes having more space than their nests. Mine has a box that is really only big enough for her slipper (had an apartlment like that myself once) but it has clear sides and lid. She has evidently been feeling very exposed, to the point where she has been sleeping and eating fitfully. We are outfitting her new big girl cage with privacy boxes, and meanwhile, keeping a towel over her clear one. Just one more thing I wish I'd known before this penny from heaven dropped in my lap!

Congrats on your big little eater

Laurel

Yes, a rice buddy sound like a good idea for the little guy. Either that or a stuffed animal or something else to cuddle up with. My little girl has a beanie baby wolf (teeny beany baby) and she loves it, she always curls up right next to it or under it or on top of it. He doesn't need a mirror yet since he can't see, but that is a good idea for the future. You also don't have to worry about him feeling exposed yet either (until his eyes open at least), as long as he is snuggled up under a baby blanket near a rice sack or beany baby he should feel nice and safe.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.